2019 Dolores River Thread - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2019   #41

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have lived in sw colorado for 20 years and this years mid/low altitude snow pack has been bigger than anything I have seen so far. All the rivers in this corner of the state are going to rip starting soon. Piedra went over 1000 cfs today. Weather is supposed to stay warm until mid week then another extended period of cold snowy up high rain low down for 2 weeks. Will be a big year for all the rivers around here. C'mon down and get some. Dolores is almost a sure thing. My guess is that it will be early/mid may when the DWCD folks realize that they have got to start spilling and depending on the storms between now and then it could be bigger than 2017. Keep an eye on the news from DWCD after their meeting on the 18th of this month. Matt, let me know what your plans are, it would be awesome to get on the river with you again.

jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019   #42

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
1100 @Dove crick right now, going up 40 cfs an hour.
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019   #43

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Intriguing....

This interest me very much... Can someone post a link for the gauge near Bradfield bridge, I can't seem to find one online... The one I found says 40cfs, but also says disabled. Cheers!
wsmckinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019   #44

Ridgway, Colorado
Guage at Bradfield is likely correct. 40cfs is what DWCD said that they'd be releasing.
I'd be packing the truck right now to hit up Big Gyp to Bedrock if I didn't have access to a weather forcast. Looks like a cold and snowy next couple days.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019   #45

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Big discrepancy at 9:00PM tonight between Slickrock and Bedrock gauges. Which one to believe?
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #46

Fraser, Colorado
59’ left in that big hole up there, before there is absolutely no space left to store water. That’s up from McPhee being about 72’ low, back in early Feb.
Still a lot of snowpack left, we shall see...

kB, that looks like just the daily bubble from temp fluctuations through out the day, since all but 40 cfs is natural flow from side streams.

James, not sure when I will get out there, but hoping that it will be soon! If nothing else, Gateway section will be in, if upper sections are running, and I can pull it off, will probably go for those if I can make timing work.

Really happy to at least see some dam water go down that river right now, even if no one boats it, the river eco system needs a river...
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019   #47

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can any tell me about rafting below Bedrock? The Gateway section or all the way to the Colorado? Or if there are any other stretches down that way that a fun to do as a single or multi day? I've never been down that far but thinking it would be a fun place to explore.

Thanks in advance!
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019   #48

lakewood, Colorado
2019 is gonna be a good year

Hey guys, I'm planning a run down the Dolores this year (just Slick Rock to Bedrock). I've never run this section. My understanding is that it is over grown given its lack of use over the years.

I'm interested in finding information on campsites, landings, etc given that it got some use in 2017. Any info you can provide will be helpful.

thanks in advance
blucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019   #49

Fraser, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucat View Post
Hey guys, I'm planning a run down the Dolores this year (just Slick Rock to Bedrock). I've never run this section. My understanding is that it is over grown given its lack of use over the years.

I'm interested in finding information on campsites, landings, etc given that it got some use in 2017. Any info you can provide will be helpful.

thanks in advance
If you can’t catch an eddy, catch a willow!!
Things are usually pretty choked out by the vedge, including campsites and eddys, so be ready to grad onto something if you need to stop, and flows are up just a little.
It is fairly mellow through that section, class II-III, but you do need to be on your game a bit and pay attention, partly since things get congested from side stream debris, and vegetation encroachment
Check out Dolores River Boating Advocates. I believe they have an interim map that they were working on in 2017 when it last had water.

It is challenging to make maps of a river that often has no more than 40 cfs for the “ down stream fishery’s” ( if that is not a joke, I don’t know what is).

Also, please consider helping support the work DRBA does for the Dolores, as well as organizations such as American Whitewater. The Dolores needs all the help we can give it, just to have a shot at even BEING a river.
I don’t think any other river in the west, has been so over allocated, and
mis-managed, from a water use standpoint.....

Have a wonderful time if you go! Dolores is simply an awesome little river when it runs.
Old 04-15-2019   #50

Colorado, Colorado
Paddled 2 miles of the San Miguel to the confluence and then about 20 miles of the Dolores towards Gateway. Was great scenery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3384.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	33857   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3388.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	33859  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg