2019 Dolores River Thread - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-26-2019   #31

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My curmudgeon part is screaming that somehow, knowing the DWCD, they'll figure out a way to release that much water in a manner that would be almost totally unboatable.... Maybe release 6000 cfs for a day, then back to 95 cfs for 3 days. And so on...

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019   #32

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Seems I read somewhere last time it ran that the max they can release through the penstocks at Mcphee is 5000 cfs and if you remember the debacle at that dam in Ca you can't let it just overflow down the spillway willy nilly, so you have to stay ahead of the game and start running it before the lake is full. It's a tricky business. Like I've said before, once they get the situation under control, do weekend releases like they do at the dam on the Chama at Elvado. Nice dream.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019   #33

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I share your sentiments on that one, Andy.

I really believe that DWCD, considers people boating the Dolores a threat to there Bottom line.
The more folks that get down that river and see it, the bigger the public push becomes to stop holding every last drop of of water, in that reservoir.

And that means less money for the utility company.
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019   #34

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
"do weekend releases like they do at the dam on the Chama at Elvado. Nice dream"

It's not just a weekend run, It's anywhere from a day run to a ten day run. If it were just a weekend run release good luck getting a permit because it would pretty much have to be permitted. Like the Chama.

I like the current management (mis-management) of no official announcement until the last minute. Makes it more of a locals run.
Old 03-27-2019   #35

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Yeah Jeff I agree but, can you imagine hanging out at one of the killer campsites until the water comes up next weekend and having the river/campsite totally to you and your crew? Pretty cool if you ask me. No matter what don't start dissing on the DWCD because the Dolores River Advocates have finally got them communicating which is one step away from having input. Do I think they are hoarding water and hurting their their own communities economies and screwing up a unique ecosystem, absolutely, but going off on them is not going to help. If it does run, play nice and tip well because if anything is going to change their policy local people showing up the the board meeting and being on our side would be huge.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019   #36

Dolores, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Canyons downstream of the dam are starting to melt out. Slickrock gauge up to 200 CFS. Next few days you may be able to squeak a rocky duckie ride from Bradfield if Narraguinnep melts out......would be nice to know if there's any new rockslides out there....just sayin'
b.pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019   #37

SWCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 80's
There's definitely a "use it, or they'll take it" mentality around here. I've heard everything from the Walmart family wanting more water for their ranch somewhere downstream, to Phoenix wanting to buy shares to export water there, lot's of paranoia.
I think they're finally starting to realize what a precious commodity water is. Over the last couple years more of the ditches are getting put in pipe and buried, and more ditches will be buried in pipe from here on out. For years there was a laissez faire attitude around here and it's starting to change.
Mattman.. I agree that they feel somewhat threatened by recreational use, for whatever reason.
Remember....whisky's for drinking and water's for fighting...
MR. ED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019   #38

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
718 in Dolores canyon and 1,100 @ gateway...guessing some is natural melt but releases started?
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019   #39

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
718 in Dolores canyon and 1,100 @ gateway...guessing some is natural melt but releases started?
Nope. Note yet. Detail Graph
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019   #40

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Been looking at that to.
Since it is still 40 cfs up by Bradfield, I’m thinking it’s just low level snow pack, melting off down some of the side Canyons bellow McPhee, as well as the San Miguel, adding some.
My guess is that both will drop for a while, then bellow the San Miguel will go, more or less, for whatever it’s gonna run for. I think the Miguel historically runs a bit later??

Wouldn’t be surprised if there is at least a pack raft/ small boat window coming up quick, might leave ya dry though, so use caution if ya go!
matt man is offline   Reply With Quote