2019 Dolores River Thread - Page 19 - Mountain Buzz

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #181

SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Catching a stop for camp or lunch will be challenging.

kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #182

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
On Wednesday the Slick Rock takeout, which is below the bridge on the left, was excellent and easy to winch a boat onto a trailer. Beware, it sneaks up on you.

It would have been easier had not been for some yahoos casually farting about. In other words, they were fully rigged apparently waiting for a shuttle to return totally blocking the best and preventing easy access to the last of 4 possible low-angle dirt takeout ramps. This lame behavior flashes back to the topic of bad etiquette. Boat ramp mantra should be "get my job done ASAP and get my ass out of the way".

The average GPS moving speed over three days from Bradfield to Slick Rock was 5 mph, at times much faster. Rarely was the current slower.

Concerning children above the Pump Station, at over 2600 cfs miles of the river are very fast with few eddies and lined with flooded trees(dense hawthorn, red twig, rose, etc) and willows making self rescue difficult even for an adult. At worst, it is generally class II+ to III- but inexperience, an over weight boat, inattentiveness or just screwing up will get you in big trouble.

Landings required proper forethought made possible by a led boat finding narrow slots through the flooded dense growth along the bank. (There are NO beaches to speak of.) Most of the slots are not seen until you have already passed by. Allow enough space for the lead boat to get settled and to help land each sequential boat otherwise a CF will result. Double parking is required at many landings. While these practices may be common for some rivers, I just thought I'd give a heads up for people not used to such requirements.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #183

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
No.
I would not take kids that young on the section at this flow.
(I personally would not at any level). Listen to your gut, and leave the kids at home, or run something mellower with them.
Advertisement

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #184

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Planning Sunday afternoon Launch with a 10 Year old at Bradfield in a 14' raft if anyone else is launching then.
DidNotWinLottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #185

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Right now;
El Diente 140% snow water equivalent
Lizard head pass 112%
Sharks tooth not reporting % anymore, but still at 40”

On the 12th Mcgreed was at 6921.48’ out of 6924’ capacity.

My guess is that with current snow pack and continued warm weather, pthey are gonna run out of space in that reservoir pretty soon, and that it will go to whatever flows nature decides on, based on what happens up river.

Could get some bigger spikes in flows.
Have fun, be safe, make good decisions up there, ya’ll!!
Old 1 Week Ago   #186

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
With the ramping down in flows what's a run from Gateway>Dewey Bridge looking like in a lightly loaded 13' boat? I've seen that 800 is the base min flow for a raft. Looking at next Fri the 12th..
Doable in a single night?
Considering this over Westwater in the terrible teens...
The published guide only discusses Bradfield to Bedrock.
wack is offline   Reply With Quote