Old 05-06-2019   #91

Ridgway, Colorado
Where do you plan on putting in?

rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019   #92

lakewood, Colorado
good question! I have a small group that will put in mid-week in June at Slick Rock. This is the main reason for my question and the information that is most needed.

But I have a smaller group that may put in up stream at Dove Creek a couple days earlier. If you have info for this site as well it will be appreciated.
blucat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019   #93

Ridgway, Colorado
I'm going to say that Slickrock is the only put in where you can't camp. AFAIK it's private property and a couple years ago they stopped letting people put in there. This has been resolved but, highly unlikely that you can camp there.
Dove Creek Pumphouse; yes, good camping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2019   #94

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsideup View Post
I'm going to say that Slickrock is the only put in where you can't camp. AFAIK it's private property and a couple years ago they stopped letting people put in there. This has been resolved but, highly unlikely that you can camp there.
Dove Creek Pumphouse; yes, good camping.
If I recall correctly, there is public access, camping and a nice boat ramp just downstream of slickrock at Gypsum Valley.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #95

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
If I recall correctly, there is public access, camping and a nice boat ramp just downstream of slickrock at Gypsum Valley.
Gypsum Valley is actually about 8-10 miles downstream. You miss little Glen Canyon which has a few nice camps, but it probably wouldn't ruin the trip to skip. Might be worth extending the trip to there if you did Bradfield down if for no other reason then having to pay to use the Slickrock ramp and easier access. It is a kinda rough road down to Gypsum Valley but your average unmodied 4x4 vehicle should make it unless its been raining a ton and gets muddy.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #96

Denver, Colorado
We're hoping to put in at Slickrock in June, but not planning to camp there. Do I understand correctly that it is acceptable to put in there?
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #97

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhusbands View Post
We're hoping to put in at Slickrock in June, but not planning to camp there. Do I understand correctly that it is acceptable to put in there?
Yes...it is a put in and takeout. No camping, but should be some not far downstream and in the surrounding area if you want to spend a night before putting in.

Its privately owned and the land owner charges a fee to put in or take out there. As I recall its a pretty reasonable rate, but some people don't like to pay to play so the other option is put in at Gypsum Valley or one of the upstream boat ramps (pretty far upstream).
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019   #98

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We ran it two years ago and just crashed on the ground/trailers the night before in the parking lot at Slickrock and then dropped the boat in the water. Jungle put in without a developed ramp, so be aware. We had to pay, and not sure if we paid extra to crash, but it was reasonable. Arrived after dark and there was someone there to collect our cash. Obviosuly, this could have changed. The one thing about putting in at Slickrock is that everyone that puts in at Gyp Valley is ahead of you and grabbing camps ahead of you.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019   #99

Denver, Colorado
Is the scenery worth it? I'd rather do 50 miles than 36 but a better developed ramp is preferable.
markhusbands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019   #100

Ridgway, Colorado
IMO the stretch from Slickrock to Big Gyp is the least memorable part of the Dolores.
The down side to putting in at Big Gyp is the long, slow dirt road from the Hwy to the put in.
BTW the put in at BG isn't what I'd call "developed" (there's no concrete ramp) just a spot where they keep the veg whacked back.