1st time Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2019   #1

Ridgway, Colorado
1st time Grand Canyon

I am wondering if I should do the Grand Canyon in my 14' Aire Wave Destroyer. Thanks for your feedback.

bibwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2019   #2

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
Can you? yes. Should you? That depends on what and how much you want or need to carry. And that depends on what you personally are bringing + any passengers + their gear plus shared trip gear, and/or what the trip leader needs you to carry etc.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The boat will do just fine in the rapids....the bigger question is the amount of gear you'll need to carry and whether the boat is up to that. A 14' cat is relatively limited in what it can carry weight and size wise, and a lot of trips want every raft to pull its own weight. If your trip has enough boats for each boat to carry a reasonable amount...then I say 100% go for it with the Wave Destroyer.

I think the main thing to do is talk with your trip leader and see if they are cool with having a smaller lighter boat along on the trip and go from there.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2019   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Interesting reviews for this craft, talking about 10-20% reduction in cargo load, slower on the flats, but very capable in high flows and Class IV and V. What other rivers have you run with it? How did it handle (maneuverability, loads, etc.)?
Old 02-02-2019   #5

Ridgway, Colorado
MiddleFork, Westwater, Yampa,
bibwyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Do it! The smaller the boat the more exciting the rapids. If you have a passenger maybe it isn't the best boat, but solo... Should be fun! You will be more maneuverable than the big boats, and can possibly run safety since you will be able to catch eddies easier than the gear barges.

I ran a mini max down to Diamond in September, and I never regretted my boat choice. Even in the 10 footer I was able to carry all my own gear and beer, with group cocktail ice that lasted until day 12, and some other group gear plus 5 gallons of water. The only thing I would worry about with the wave destroyer is wind.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019   #7
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just got back from a 25 day trip this afternoon.
We had one 14' W.D. and it did great. He carried his own gear just fine, plus a little bit of group gear. Had 7 boats, with 2 being 18' rafts, so having less gear on the W.D. was fine. We did not have much wind on our trip. If you can pull it off space wise, go for it.
Have a great trip!
Old 02-03-2019   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Oh Yeah. If you're not expected to carry someone or be one of main oarsmen on a gear pig, then you should definitely do it. I hopped on a trip after the group had already secured gear pigs and ran my 14' Vanguard. Basically self-supported and carried some group gear and another bag or two, but was manuverable enough that I could run sneak lines and avoid the giant holes on the big rapids. All the rapids no one talks about (Roaring 20s, Jewels, etc.) were a total blast.

Have a great trip!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019   #9

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Just got back from a 25 day trip this afternoon.
We had one 14' W.D. and it did great. He carried his own gear just fine, plus a little bit of group gear. Had 7 boats, with 2 being 18' rafts, so having less gear on the W.D. was fine. We did not have much wind on our trip. If you can pull it off space wise, go for it.
Have a great trip!
Very nice, great way to start the New Year.... Good information on the 14' W.D for the OP. Know comes the fun part, cleaning up all that gear, getting it ready for the next trip. Have a great year.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019   #10

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I've done all the way to Pierce Ferry twice in my 143R, once solo and once with my wife. Very fun ride, and yes, I have used the maneuverability to take what the 18' boaters termed "chicken shit" runs through Lava and a couple of others. Stayed upright through both trips though! Do it and have a blast.