Portable 8lb Fire Pit/Pan - Page 6 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2018   #51

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1986
I just ordered one of these. I use my fire pan to do Dutch Oven cooking and following the logic of the person who puts his Dutch Oven on a pizza pan, I realize that I could use my old very light weight oil collection pan fire pan to support the Dutch Oven. This way, I can do 4 things at once. 1) The Dutch Oven is supported easily and stably, 2) I don't have to re-calibrate how many charcoal briquettes I need for cooking because of the increased air flow through the mesh, 3) The Dutch Oven is off of the ground, so I don't have to bend over very much to work with it and 4) Just in case the put in ranger hasn't seen this super light weight Pop-Up fire pit, I have a very generic fire pan with me with the oil collection pan.

wlslattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2018   #52

Just got back from Cataract and the ranger was pretty thorough. When he asked to see our firepan I started explaining how it wasn’t a conventional one and it could set it up and right away he goes, “oh is it one of those pop up ones? I saw them in a shop the other day and we thought it was pretty cool” So it passed muster for at least one NPS ranger. He didn’t sound 100% convinced about the mesh but didn’t have any problem accepting it. Of course he wanted to know how it worked but I had just gotten it and haven’t even fired it up yet, and couldn’t on the trip due to restrictions.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #53

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
As long and you have a fire blanket under the whole shebang I can't see how a ranger could complain.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2018   #54
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
We were able to show the Pop-Up Pit to one of the rangers at Westwater. His thoughts were as long as you have a fire blanket and a container to pack out your ash, he didn't think there would be any issues. He did say he would like to see how it performs and how much ash does get through. We are working with the manufacturer to get him in contact with the Moab and Grand Junction BLM offices. We'll keep you posted.

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018   #55

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Get the official ok from the Grand Canyon rangers/management and all others will follow.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #56

conifer, Colorado
Bought one of these and very happy after setting it up. Unbelievably light weight and small. Unfortunately couldn't use it last weekend at Yarmonygrass!
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018   #57

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I poked around the one they had at Downriver on display and was pleased by the build quality, lightness and the size of the thing. It is definitely bigger then it seems from online pictures. Might have to pick one up....I'd love to go on a trip with one. Probably not gonna happen for a bit because of fire bans though.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018   #58
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Amazon Review

Hey All,

We recently listed the Pop-Up Pit on Amazon and would really appreciate if those of you who have used the Pop-Up Pit took a second to leave us your honest review.

We had someone leave a pretty negative review, which is one of the first negative reviews we've received on the pit but unfortunately, he is one of only 2 reviews which greatly impacts our rating.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9NY6G8

Cheers,

-Triston
CampfireDefender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018   #59

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampfireDefender View Post
Hey All,

We recently listed the Pop-Up Pit on Amazon and would really appreciate if those of you who have used the Pop-Up Pit took a second to leave us your honest review.

We had someone leave a pretty negative review, which is one of the first negative reviews we've received on the pit but unfortunately, he is one of only 2 reviews which greatly impacts our rating.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G9NY6G8

Cheers,

-Triston
Happy to leave a positive review, mine has worked great so far!
heyben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018   #60

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I went on the web site and found no negative review, what's really going on?