Portable 8lb Fire Pit/Pan - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2018   #41
 
Jenks, Oklahoma
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,701
I have one of these Campfire Defender fire pans. My main reason for buying was for self support (basically just to meet the ranger requirements to have a fire pan along) and for my DO cooking. Love the Campfire Defender stand design, very skeptical of the mesh bottom. I thought about cutting a couple sections of solid aluminum to place on the mesh for a solid base so my DO legs would not punch thru the mesh. Manufacturers advised no to this idea.



However, a cheap Walmart pizza pan fits easily on the mesh and that is my solution for DO cooking.


I have used the real steel heavy weight fire pans for many years and often times built big time camp fires that ended up with red hot fire pans. After cooling, no issues.


These old style steel fire pans are built like a tank and weight like a tank. My opinion is if you want big time camp fires this Campfire Defender unit is not the answer. However, if you want a light weight fire pan for small fires and with my pizza pan liner for DO use - I think this new fire pan is gonna work well. Thanks for coming up with the idea Campfire Defender.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-27-2018   #42
 
JK_44's Avatar
 
Grand Junction, Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 33
Pop Up Pit Review

Just got off of Lodore and we put the Pop Up Pit to the test.

After reading this thread and the positive responses, I purchased the kit that included the heat shield and an extra screen during their Father's Day sale for just over $100. Right off the bat, I feel like I'm getting a good deal if the pan holds up to expectations.

It was less than a week when I ordered, but Triston fired it off before the end of the day and it was here just in time to load up. I set it up in my living room in a couple of minutes without looking at the directions. Everything looked good so far and they even threw in a little swag in the form of a t-shirt.

Night One: We set it up with the express intent of putting this thing to the test. We built up a decent fire and it burned very cleanly with little ash. Later in the evening, we put in a "color packet" and continued to burn a full sized fire. The next morning there was a hole about an inch in diameter in the screen (see attached pics). We assumed that it had either been the result of a faulty screen or the color packets. We were a little bummed that after one use we had a hole in our new fire pan.

Night Two: We decided we would eliminate the variable of the color packet and build the biggest fire we safely could on night two.

Mission Accomplished.

Morning came and there were no new holes in the screen and the consensus was that the packets must have been the culprit.

Night three (our last): The plan was to build a huge fire AND use two different brands of color packets. Our logic was that the screen was already ruined and this would clear up the variables. We burned the rest of our wood and strategically placed the packets noting their positions. Morning revealed no new holes in the screen other than the initial one.

SO...our results:

The Screen & the Hole: We were left with more questions than answers with regard to the screen. No real conclusions could be drawn. Fireside Outdoor does say in the instructions not to use lighter fluid or gasoline on the screen as they can damage it. We concluded that the color packet was the most likely culprit. Fifty uses seems achievable with normal use but only time will tell on that one.

Overall, myself and the majority of our group (21 ppl) felt that it was a great product that, with the addition of a few tweaks (grill, etc), could be even better. Set up and tear down were a breeze. The fires we built were as big as any I could need on the river. No one complained about carrying the fire pan to camp and back. I am looking forward to the grill attachment.

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_125908_resized.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	31209   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_125911_resized.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	31211  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180624_125930_resized.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	865.6 KB
ID:	31213  
JK_44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #43
Sponsoring Vendor
 
SURPRISE, Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 40
Hey All,

Sorry I've been travelling and haven't been able to get back to everyone.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurph View Post
Hey Tristan. I bought one of your new fire pans as soon as I saw it. I think it looks great. I was hoping you could provide some documentation that it meets the river requirements. The only ranger I got to show it to was a bit skeptical. Let me know as soon as you get your grill up for sale - I'll buy one of those too!
Hey Murph,

Funny enough there isn’t any official certificate or documentation that anything meets river requirements, which may be why gear checks are done every time? From speaking with representatives from the NPS, BLM, and USFS the big three for fire pan requirements are:
300sq inches – The Pop-Up Pit sits at 576sq inches
3inch sides – The Pop-Up Pit has 3.5inch sides
Elevated off the ground by its own structure – This one is self-explanatory
One of the biggest reservations we’ve seen have been the questions about the Fire Mesh, because the ranger may be skeptical that it will hold the ash. Fortunately, the Mesh is measured at 60 micron so even very fine ash is contained within the Pop-Up Pit. You can demo this for yourself at home with some charcoal ash to get a better idea. Maybe take a video to alive the rangers concerns?

Further info at: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...egulations.pdf
Page 17 of 33

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
-Triston

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I have one of these Campfire Defender fire pans. My main reason for buying was for self support (basically just to meet the ranger requirements to have a fire pan along) and for my DO cooking. Love the Campfire Defender stand design, very skeptical of the mesh bottom. I thought about cutting a couple sections of solid aluminum to place on the mesh for a solid base so my DO legs would not punch thru the mesh. Manufacturers advised no to this idea.
However, a cheap Walmart pizza pan fits easily on the mesh and that is my solution for DO cooking.
I have used the real steel heavy weight fire pans for many years and often times built big time camp fires that ended up with red hot fire pans. After cooling, no issues.
These old style steel fire pans are built like a tank and weight like a tank. My opinion is if you want big time camp fires this Campfire Defender unit is not the answer. However, if you want a light weight fire pan for small fires and with my pizza pan liner for DO use - I think this new fire pan is gonna work well. Thanks for coming up with the idea Campfire Defender.
Awesome feedback! Dutch Oven cooking is a bit limited right now, but we’re hoping to get out our grilling grates ASAP to help remedy this. They’re going to be just as portable as the Pop-Up Pit as to not defeat the purpose of a portable fire pan in the first place.
Let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!
-Triston

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK_44 View Post
Just got off of Lodore and we put the Pop Up Pit to the test.

After reading this thread and the positive responses, I purchased the kit that included the heat shield and an extra screen during their Father's Day sale for just over $100. Right off the bat, I feel like I'm getting a good deal if the pan holds up to expectations.

It was less than a week when I ordered, but Triston fired it off before the end of the day and it was here just in time to load up. I set it up in my living room in a couple of minutes without looking at the directions. Everything looked good so far and they even threw in a little swag in the form of a t-shirt.

Night One: We set it up with the express intent of putting this thing to the test. We built up a decent fire and it burned very cleanly with little ash. Later in the evening, we put in a "color packet" and continued to burn a full sized fire. The next morning there was a hole about an inch in diameter in the screen (see attached pics). We assumed that it had either been the result of a faulty screen or the color packets. We were a little bummed that after one use we had a hole in our new fire pan.

Night Two: We decided we would eliminate the variable of the color packet and build the biggest fire we safely could on night two.

Mission Accomplished.

Morning came and there were no new holes in the screen and the consensus was that the packets must have been the culprit.

Night three (our last): The plan was to build a huge fire AND use two different brands of color packets. Our logic was that the screen was already ruined and this would clear up the variables. We burned the rest of our wood and strategically placed the packets noting their positions. Morning revealed no new holes in the screen other than the initial one.

SO...our results:

The Screen & the Hole: We were left with more questions than answers with regard to the screen. No real conclusions could be drawn. Fireside Outdoor does say in the instructions not to use lighter fluid or gasoline on the screen as they can damage it. We concluded that the color packet was the most likely culprit. Fifty uses seems achievable with normal use but only time will tell on that one.

Overall, myself and the majority of our group (21 ppl) felt that it was a great product that, with the addition of a few tweaks (grill, etc), could be even better. Set up and tear down were a breeze. The fires we built were as big as any I could need on the river. No one complained about carrying the fire pan to camp and back. I am looking forward to the grill attachment.

Jason

Jason,

First off, I want to say very thorough review. Get me out your Order # and I’ll get you a new Fire Mesh sent out, just to ensure you can keep using the Pop-Up Pit!
You are very right that it was the color packet that caused the damage. We hadn’t even considered those! Generally, they’re made from phosphate which can get as hot as 4,000F much beyond the melting point of Fire Mesh.
We had mentioned the liquid petroleum because if you use too much it will seep through the mesh, sending lighter fluid on the heat shield or ground creating another fire hazard. We have to state this as we are not sure of our users experience level and we are trying to keep everyone safe. We’re going to be updating our warning sheet to include those color packets.

Thanks again!
-Triston
__________________
Fireside Outdoor / Campfire Defender
Fire Mangement Tools For The 21st Century
www.FiresideOutdoor.com
CampfireDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-29-2018   #44
Sponsoring Vendor
 
SURPRISE, Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 40
Hey All,


As a thank you to the community for all of the great feedback and support so far we wanted to offer an exclusive MountainBuzz Discount of 20%

For anybody interested in picking up a Pop-Up Pit just use the discount code "Buzzard20" at checkout or follow this link: https://firesideoutdoor.com/discount/BUZZARD20

We're also doing free T-shirts this week for Fourth of July as a little added bonus.

Thanks again, everyone!

Cheers,
Triston
__________________
Fireside Outdoor / Campfire Defender
Fire Mangement Tools For The 21st Century
www.FiresideOutdoor.com
CampfireDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018   #45
 
Osprey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 750
I'm all over that, thanks!
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018   #46
 
mgpaddler's Avatar
 
Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 66
Just got off the MFS and one of our participants brought the Pop Up Pit along for a trial work out. I think we were all a little skeptical of the light weight and fine mesh as mentioned in earlier posts, but under scrutiny, this didn't prove out. This thing is amazing. It is extremely light weight, packs small, and is very sturdy. The size is great for very large fires as well. We started small and increasingly became more emboldened by the amount of wood we could pile on it. By the last night we had a pyre that would warm anyone within 8 feet. No problem with warping or screen burn through. With charcoal it held up just as well. we did not use lighter fuel to start the briquets but did use a propane torch to get them started. I would be concerned with adding any fuels to the screen.

My observations and take away from a thorough testing of this is; It burns very efficiently, to a fault, goes through wood like its drawing air through the bottom. Which is precisely what it does. With charcoal briquets, it will not last long. We would start them on the screen and then remove them for Dutch oven cooking, placing D.O. on the ground (with foil) to contain the heat under the D.O.. Use a fire blanket or welders tarp to contain the chunks that fall off the ends. There is really zero ash under this thing when the fire goes out- everything burns. We did not use the provided fire shield or try to grill food over this unit. Not sure I would want to because of dripping and the shortened time of charcoal life. Maybe the included fire shield cuts down on the convection effect- was not able to determine.

For big clean fires and super efficient charcoal lighting, as well as size, weight, and packability, this thing can't be beat.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018   #47
Sponsoring Vendor
 
SURPRISE, Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpaddler View Post
Just got off the MFS and one of our participants brought the Pop Up Pit along for a trial work out. I think we were all a little skeptical of the light weight and fine mesh as mentioned in earlier posts, but under scrutiny, this didn't prove out. This thing is amazing. It is extremely light weight, packs small, and is very sturdy. The size is great for very large fires as well. We started small and increasingly became more emboldened by the amount of wood we could pile on it. By the last night we had a pyre that would warm anyone within 8 feet. No problem with warping or screen burn through. With charcoal it held up just as well. we did not use lighter fuel to start the briquets but did use a propane torch to get them started. I would be concerned with adding any fuels to the screen.

My observations and take away from a thorough testing of this is; It burns very efficiently, to a fault, goes through wood like its drawing air through the bottom. Which is precisely what it does. With charcoal briquets, it will not last long. We would start them on the screen and then remove them for Dutch oven cooking, placing D.O. on the ground (with foil) to contain the heat under the D.O.. Use a fire blanket or welders tarp to contain the chunks that fall off the ends. There is really zero ash under this thing when the fire goes out- everything burns. We did not use the provided fire shield or try to grill food over this unit. Not sure I would want to because of dripping and the shortened time of charcoal life. Maybe the included fire shield cuts down on the convection effect- was not able to determine.

For big clean fires and super efficient charcoal lighting, as well as size, weight, and packability, this thing can't be beat.

Absolutely awesome to hear! The Pop-Up Pit definitely does burn fuel a lot faster than a regular fire but this does slow down as your wood burns down and the ash plugs the holes up.

The heat shield doesn't do much to slow down the airflow, but it does do a great job protecting the ground, you could burn a fire on a plastic table if you wanted (or just a wood deck/grass)

Funny enough we've been doing some testing with the grilling grates and charcoal and we were also worried about the shortened lifespan of the charcoal. What we've found so far is that the Pit does burn the fuel fast but also a lot hotter and with consistent heat (due to the circulating air). We were able to cook about 12 T-Bone steaks over the Pit in about 12 minutes to a medium rare. Once the grilling grates are ready we'll be sure to hook up the Mountainbuzz community with a few to test out.

We're also working on a DO solution for the Pit, we'll keep you guys posted on the progress of everything.


Thank you for taking the time to write your review, it really is very encouraging for us to see.

-Triston
__________________
Fireside Outdoor / Campfire Defender
Fire Mangement Tools For The 21st Century
www.FiresideOutdoor.com
CampfireDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018   #48
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 121
Are you able to provide any pictures or sketches of the grill? And do you have a firm release date in August yet? I'm really intrigued by this product but a grill for cooking is a must for me, so I'm pretty interested in what you've come up with. I've got a couple trips the last half of August and may want to pick one up before then.
protechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018   #49
Sponsoring Vendor
 
SURPRISE, Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by protechie View Post
Are you able to provide any pictures or sketches of the grill? And do you have a firm release date in August yet? I'm really intrigued by this product but a grill for cooking is a must for me, so I'm pretty interested in what you've come up with. I've got a couple trips the last half of August and may want to pick one up before then.

Sorry for the late reply, things have been hectic.

Unfortunately, we are behind schedule on the grilling grates we had an issue with getting our mold built for the connectors and basically have to start from scratch, hence why it has been hectic lol.

I know we've personally tested this grill: https://www.amazon.com/Sunnydaze-X-M...4+grill+grates

and although large, it does fit perfectly over the Pop-Up Pit as is.

Sorry for the delay on this, I promise we're working as quickly as we can to get this done.

-Triston
__________________
Fireside Outdoor / Campfire Defender
Fire Mangement Tools For The 21st Century
www.FiresideOutdoor.com
CampfireDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018   #50
Sponsoring Vendors
 
Down River Equipment's Avatar
 
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 240
All,

We do have the Fireside Pop-Up Pit and Heat Reflective Shield in stock. Come on down and check them out. We will be getting them up on our website in the next few days.
__________________

www.DOWNRIVEREQUIP.com
Toll Free: 1-888-467-2144
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BioLite 'Smokeless' Fire Pit dirtyoar Rafting | Gear Talk 4 10-20-2017 08:25 AM
Fire ban in Dinosour...Fire pan? dport Kayaking | Trip Planner 6 06-14-2012 06:45 PM
Fire ban still means bring fire pan! SummitSurfer Whitewater Kayaking 20 05-28-2012 08:04 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.