Portable 8lb Fire Pit/Pan - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-13-2018   #31
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
I have one. I really like the weight and the way the legs fold up. I like to do kayak self support and fire pan weight is a big problem on self support.

My issue so for is the mesh bottom does not look to me like it will last, but that is to be found out as these units get more use.

My intended primary use is for my dutch oven. I emailed the manufacturer that I planned to use some scrap aluminum I have on top of the mesh as a firm support. Was told that was not a good idea and to wait for the aluminum grate the manufacturer has planned.

I will probably run some tests and report back here on solutions to make the unit work better for dutch ovens.

Glad to hear you're happy with the Pit so far! The Fire Mesh is made from a special stainless steel alloy designed to withstand repeated heating and cooling cycles. It will eventually break down and stretch (we're estimating this point to be at around 50 fires) at which point you'll need a new Fire Mesh ($18.95).

One of the big features we wanted to have with the pit was the modular design that way if you accidentally break something on the pit you just buy what you broke instead of a whole new pit.

We are working as fast as we can on the new grilling grates but we did only launch the Pit two weeks ago so we're still getting the lead out as far as production goes!

-Triston

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

CampfireDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2018   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Hey All,

Quick Update: We were having some questions from other customers about how the Pop-Up Pit folds up to actually pack away. Figured we post the video of it going together to give everyone a better idea of the construction of the pit and I've also added an image of everything that comes with the base kit.

Here ya go: https://youtu.be/bv8hIghQV0I

Let me know if you have any questions

-Triston
Attached Files
Old 06-18-2018   #33
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
I just got back from my Smith trip.

As advertised it burned the wood to a fine ash. I built a BIG fire in it and other than the expected discoloration it is none the worse for wear.

I held the mesh up to the light and it shows no signs of damage.

The only thing I wasn't sure about is how it would hold up to a week of being packed and unpacked, and buried in the stack with my kids climbing all over everything. It held up great and there is no noticeable...anything. I didn't baby it, but I didn't try to break it either. I just used common sense and packed it with the rest of the gear.

Unless I do something stupid with it, I expect it will last a very long time.

Now the trick will be to see if it gets past the gear check for my Main Salmon trip...
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018   #34

Alberta, Alberta
Good for Grand?

Interested in adding one of these to my rafting equipment but more immediately so for an upcoming Grand. The NPS link you folks provided earlier shows the dimensions required for Canyonlands NP where the lip height only has to be 2 1/2" high but the GC has to be 3". What is the actual side height on this firepan? I looked on your site but could only find area size. Probably getting one regardless , just curious on the Grand compliance. Thanks ...
Raft Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raft Dad View Post
Interested in adding one of these to my rafting equipment but more immediately so for an upcoming Grand. The NPS link you folks provided earlier shows the dimensions required for Canyonlands NP where the lip height only has to be 2 1/2" high but the GC has to be 3". What is the actual side height on this firepan? I looked on your site but could only find area size. Probably getting one regardless , just curious on the Grand compliance. Thanks ...

Great Question - We actually built the pit to be entirely compliant with the strictest of regulations GC included - The requirement calls for 3" sides so we went with 3.5" just to be safe.

Hope this helps!
-Triston
Old 06-20-2018   #36

Alberta, Alberta
Ok that quick reply gets a sale right there. Thanks Triston. Certainly don't expect you guys to answer work e-mails at night but appreciate the response. Checking in with buddy as we may get one each. Thanks again.
Raft Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #37

spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
got one ordered

I'm a sucker for lighter firepans.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lll100 View Post
I'm a sucker for lighter firepans.

Aren't we all?

Lemme know if you got any questions!

Cheers,
-Triston
Old 06-25-2018   #39

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I bought one a couple weeks ago, showed up right before my JD trip... no fires on that trip so I didn't take it nor use it, but I handed it to my 7 yo in the garage and he set it up in about a minute without reading directions and only one suggestion from me... sooo, it's definitely the easiest firepan I've ever seen to set up. Well maybe except the oil pan on the ground... but it's twice that size for sure. I'm liking it so far!

I can see at least 2 future mods, not to fix anything but add functionality. I'll post more on those when I get to them.
Old 06-26-2018   #40

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Proof of Compliance

Hey Tristan. I bought one of your new fire pans as soon as I saw it. I think it looks great. I was hoping you could provide some documentation that it meets the river requirements. The only ranger I got to show it to was a bit skeptical. Let me know as soon as you get your grill up for sale - I'll buy one of those too!
tmurph is offline   Reply With Quote