Portable 8lb Fire Pit/Pan - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2018   #21
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Mine came in while I was out on a trip at the end of last week so I haven't gotten to try it out yet.

It looks to be very well built with high quality materials. I'll be out on the river for an overnighter next weekend and will break it in then and take some pictures of it in action. I'm also going to bring along my IR laser thermometer so I can get some measurements of how well it dissipates heat.

It looks bigger in person than what the measurement would suggest. I guess I had the image of a "traditional" river fire pan set up in my head and this is considerably larger.
The only drawback I see so far is that there is no way to easily set up a cooking grate...which is fine because then you start nullifying the benefits of a lightweight design.

MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlslattery View Post
I use a fire pan mostly to support Dutch Oven cooking. This means 3 somewhat pointed legs on your wire mesh. Can the mesh support this type of use? On a standard flat (heavy) fire pan the DO is very stable. Can it wiggle on this mesh or is it fairly stable? A lighter fire pan is very desirable to me.

We've done some testing with a dutch oven on the mesh, the mesh does hold up to the weight but it stretched the mesh a little funny because of the concentrated weight.

Here in 6-8 weeks, we'll be launching our portable grilling grates. These will fit over top of the Pop-Up Pit yet still, fit inside of the bag to keep the portability.

We'll keep everyone updated as things progress!
CampfireDefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018   #23

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
What about the Grand?
Any positive confirmation if I can rely on this for a winter self support effort ?
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018   #24

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
I have had mine out on a multi-day trip. I was worried that the ranger would not accept it when the gear inspection took place. But she just thought it was "really cool".

The first "fire" wasn't a fire; we started the charcoal and placed a 14" aluminum dutch oven on it. It handled it without issue. The only thing to be aware of with this when using the dutch is that the coals burn faster then when sitting in the bottom of a traditional fire pan.

I ordered it with the optional heat shield. I attached the heat shield close to the top of the pit. The Velcro attachment strips melted during the first real fire we lit. But that was the only bad thing. I will be ordering another heat shield and attaching it lower.

My rating: 5 stars! Super lightweight. Super easy to setup. Super easy to move around. And, as advertised, due to the screen bottom, the wood burned quickly, hot, and down to very small ash.

BIG thanks to the Fireside Outdoor team for this design!
LJPurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJPurvis View Post
I have had mine out on a multi-day trip. I was worried that the ranger would not accept it when the gear inspection took place. But she just thought it was "really cool".

The first "fire" wasn't a fire; we started the charcoal and placed a 14" aluminum dutch oven on it. It handled it without issue. The only thing to be aware of with this when using the dutch is that the coals burn faster then when sitting in the bottom of a traditional fire pan.

I ordered it with the optional heat shield. I attached the heat shield close to the top of the pit. The Velcro attachment strips melted during the first real fire we lit. But that was the only bad thing. I will be ordering another heat shield and attaching it lower.

My rating: 5 stars! Super lightweight. Super easy to setup. Super easy to move around. And, as advertised, due to the screen bottom, the wood burned quickly, hot, and down to very small ash.

BIG thanks to the Fireside Outdoor team for this design!

Fantastic to hear your pit worked out great!

Sorry to hear about the heat shield. We realized a little too late that some of the direction for how to use the heat shield is confusing so we're redoing that with a video here shortly. The heat shield has to be about two inches below the top connectors of the frame.

Go ahead and message us your order number/address and we'll get you a new heat shield on the way free of charge.

Also, would you mind if we used your review on our website? We will not alter it in any way and will post it in its entirety.
Old 06-11-2018   #26

Salida, Colorado
does the current "FIRE" 20% off PROMO code work for the fire pit? i cant seem to get it to apply when checking out
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018   #27

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampfireDefender View Post
Fantastic to hear your pit worked out great!

Sorry to hear about the heat shield. We realized a little too late that some of the direction for how to use the heat shield is confusing so we're redoing that with a video here shortly. The heat shield has to be about two inches below the top connectors of the frame.

Go ahead and message us your order number/address and we'll get you a new heat shield on the way free of charge.

Also, would you mind if we used your review on our website? We will not alter it in any way and will post it in its entirety.
I would be happy to allow you to use this as a review. However, I would prefer to write a better review for you. I was not complaining about the melting heat shield connectors; I figured it was a learning experience for me. I also took some pictures if you want them.

I did PM you my order number.
LJPurvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tress33 View Post
does the current "FIRE" 20% off PROMO code work for the fire pit? i cant seem to get it to apply when checking out

We were having issues with the discount code applying in some geographical locations for some reason. Everything should be fixed now!

If you have anymore issues at checkout go ahead and give me a call and I'll take care of ya. 623-251-8284
Old 06-12-2018   #29

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I ordered one, I'm a sucker for peoples intersections of craft and passion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018   #30

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have one. I really like the weight and the way the legs fold up. I like to do kayak self support and fire pan weight is a big problem on self support.

My issue so for is the mesh bottom does not look to me like it will last, but that is to be found out as these units get more use.

My intended primary use is for my dutch oven. I emailed the manufacturer that I planned to use some scrap aluminum I have on top of the mesh as a firm support. Was told that was not a good idea and to wait for the aluminum grate the manufacturer has planned.

I will probably run some tests and report back here on solutions to make the unit work better for dutch ovens.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote