Portable 8lb Fire Pit/Pan - Page 12 - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #111

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
First extensive use

Just back from 7 days on the MFS, and used the pop up pit extensively for campfires every night and grilling one night. While it performed well, we did end up melting and warping a couple of the side walls pretty significantly when a really strong microburst wind storm kicked up just as we were getting the fire going for the night. It literally turned into a blast furnace with 40mph winds and ended up damaging the side walls pretty badly. We managed to do some riverbank repairs with a mallet and a squared-off piece of wood and hammered them back into useable shape. The screen, legs, and everything else performed flawlessly, and after reshaping the sides do still work and got us through the rest of the trip. While the weight savings of the all-aluminum sides is great in most circumstances, steel would have held up no problem to the heat that melted the aluminum on mine. Maybe too much compromise for weight saving?

For those nervous about ranger inspection, at Bounday Creek they were clearly familiar with them and approved its use without hesitation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D07FADE-8978-44F8-84FD-132566FEB130.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	36849   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C789DF4-CA04-4BC1-A9E4-DDEDAADD8D89.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	2.17 MB
ID:	36851  

Name:	48680C49-9920-4DB5-9912-670570A4B279.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	36853  

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #112
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Duck View Post
Just back from 7 days on the MFS, and used the pop up pit extensively for campfires every night and grilling one night. While it performed well, we did end up melting and warping a couple of the side walls pretty significantly when a really strong microburst wind storm kicked up just as we were getting the fire going for the night. It literally turned into a blast furnace with 40mph winds and ended up damaging the side walls pretty badly. We managed to do some riverbank repairs with a mallet and a squared-off piece of wood and hammered them back into useable shape. The screen, legs, and everything else performed flawlessly, and after reshaping the sides do still work and got us through the rest of the trip. While the weight savings of the all-aluminum sides is great in most circumstances, steel would have held up no problem to the heat that melted the aluminum on mine. Maybe too much compromise for weight saving?

For those nervous about ranger inspection, at Bounday Creek they were clearly familiar with them and approved its use without hesitation.

Well that's never something you want to see, shoot us a DM and lets get you a whole new set of ember guards out.

This may sound ridiculous but what order did you assemble the pit in? We've had a few customers put the pit together the wrong way and it makes it much more susceptible to damage.

Obviously, the aluminium does have its limitations, especially when you add in 40mph winds. Glad you were able to make the field repairs and get everything operational.
This looks like it was most likely just a freak accident with the right combination of wind, fire, and fuel. Through all of our testing we've only been able to get similar results using lighter fluid and a leaf blower. (Professional I know)

We will be looking at other solutions for this to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

Thanks,
Triston
Fireside Team
CampfireDefender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #113

Bend, Oregon
Hey, thanks for the response. I would definitely categorize the event under freak circumstances. It was the two downwind shields that bore the brunt of the damage. The fire was literally roaring like someone had a leaf blower going on it. No lighter fluid involved, though.

In all transparency to those following this thread, the pit actually was assembled in the wrong order for this particular fire; despite our best efforts, we could not get the mesh to stretch over the supports with the side guards in place, so we had to put it on first with the base slightly closed and then fully extend is. As a result, the mesh was below the aluminum side guards which did not help the situation. We never had any issues fitting the mesh over the uprights above the side guards on subsequent days, as it mush have stretched out a bit from the heat.

The only other criticism of the pit was regarding the cooking grate; our chef that night wished he could extend the grate up higher from the heat than the threads would allow. Some foil on the grates made it work and the chicken was delicious, but maybe something to consider addressing. Note that the grilling took place the night following the melting event, and once we hammered it back into shape you can't really tell other than the once piece that melted a hole in it.

I will send you a dm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	damage from above.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	36903   Click image for larger version

Name:	damage.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	36905  

Name:	chicken ala dean.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	36907  
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #114
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the response. I would definitely categorize the event under freak circumstances. It was the two downwind shields that bore the brunt of the damage. The fire was literally roaring like someone had a leaf blower going on it. No lighter fluid involved, though.

In all transparency to those following this thread, the pit actually was assembled in the wrong order for this particular fire; despite our best efforts, we could not get the mesh to stretch over the supports with the side guards in place, so we had to put it on first with the base slightly closed and then fully extend is. As a result, the mesh was below the aluminum side guards which did not help the situation. We never had any issues fitting the mesh over the uprights above the side guards on subsequent days, as it mush have stretched out a bit from the heat.

The only other criticism of the pit was regarding the cooking grate; our chef that night wished he could extend the grate up higher from the heat than the threads would allow. Some foil on the grates made it work and the chicken was delicious, but maybe something to consider addressing. Note that the grilling took place the night following the melting event, and once we hammered it back into shape you can really tell other than the once piece that melted a hole in it.

I will send you a dm.

That does make sense, the couple of millimeters that mesh gives the aluminium actually makes a huge difference in its ability to transfer and release the heat from the fire.
When trying to put on the fire mesh you should make sure to keep the grommets at the tops of the poles before sliding all four corners down at the same time. The tolerances get really tight, due to the nature of the design.

We can definitely get you out some new ember guards and it sounds like a fresh mesh too just in case.

We are pretty happy with the grill design right now, obviously there is some room for improvement so we we will keep everyone updated when/if those changes do come around.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #115

Bend, Oregon
Thanks Triston - you've got a great product here, exceeded only by your outstanding customer service.

I also wanted to add that I was super impressed by how thoroughly the wood combusted on the steel mesh. at the end of 6 nights of use, our 20mm rocket box ash can was only about 1/4 full. Pretty remarkable, really.

If anyone is considering purchasing one of these, they are the real deal and everything is 30% off on Fireside Outdoor's website right now. A great time to pull the trigger.
Old 1 Week Ago   #116

Bend, Oregon
Thanks Triston, I received the replacement ember guards, mesh screen, and bonus fire gloves yesterday. Much appreciated, and those gloves are actually really nice. They will be replacing the harbor freight cheapo welding gloves I was using before.

By the way, after witnessing the melting event and your response to it, two members of our boating party have pulled the trigger on getting their own pop-up fire pits.

Thanks again!
Old 6 Days Ago   #117
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Thanks Triston, I received the replacement ember guards, mesh screen, and bonus fire gloves yesterday. Much appreciated, and those gloves are actually really nice. They will be replacing the harbor freight cheapo welding gloves I was using before.

By the way, after witnessing the melting event and your response to it, two members of our boating party have pulled the trigger on getting their own pop-up fire pits.

Thanks again!

Always great to hear! We try and do our best to make sure you guys are always taken care of.

Always feel free to reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Triston
Old 4 Days Ago   #118

So are they still 30% off? I don't see that on your site. If they are I would get one now.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #119
Sponsoring Vendor

SURPRISE, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by panicman View Post
So are they still 30% off? I don't see that on your site. If they are I would get one now.

Hi Panicman,

The 30% off was a limited sale for the Fourth of July, that has ended.
Old 2 Days Ago   #120

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
Used the PUP on our MFS as well. Best fire pan on the market. Total game changer. I think it is the best advancement in river camping gear in the last ten years. Right there with sand mats and woodland power stoves.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote