Mountain Buzz banner

Yampa at high water

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  dombobn 
#1 ·
Hi!
I have a Yampa trip june8-13...right now water is high! I have never run this river before and I have an oarswoman 2months with child on the trip. She is very experienced class IV rafter. Have any of you ladies either, been on the Yampa for high water, or any trip during early pregnancy? I am looking for helpful beta on rapids and pregnancy rafting.
Thanks so very much!!!!!:p

#6 ·
Already a thread on high water Yampa:
http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f11/yampa-at-high-water-36148.html

I don't think 6 days will be necessary at whatever flows you are likely to experience. My guess is you are going to hit it pretty close to peak on June 8th. It should be back in it's banks by the time the end of June folks run it.

I hear dead cows floating in eddies is a good cure for morning sickness...

#10 ·
Byennie,

We camped at the put-in and it was fine...lots of goose turds, no toilet paper supplied in the vault toilets (kind of BS for a $185 permit fee IMHO). I would camp away from the water if it is above 15,000 since you never know if you might wake up with your tent in water?

My trip report is posted on the Trip Planner forum...have fun!

#12 ·
Pregnancy and boating

It's statistically likely she will be just fine, however... For any woman, boating, skiing, or couch-potato-ing, the highest rate of miscarriage is in the first trimester, or the first 16 weeks. Should she go, there probably won't be a problem, but I don't know that for sure! If my crystal ball is working properly. However, if she does go on the trip, and have problems, then she may feel guilt for this. So it's a personnel choice.
I backpacked with my first fetus up till 28 weeks, and tele skied up till 32 weeks with my second, and they're fine and all, other than being teenagers. I know lots of moms who did, and were fine also. I also have stories of ladies who did absolutely nothing dangerous or scary, with very sad outcomes. At that gestational age, those little critters are pretty well protected by the fabulous, amazing Mom Body. An oar to the abdomen might not be the best for Mr or Ms Fetus. Lifting a 16 foot self bailer into the back of a truck, probably not so good either.
As a health care professional, and from a legal stand point, I'd have to say no go. As a mom who takes a chance with her own life now and again, I'd say, it's up to her.
L&D nurse for 20 years, ICU nurse for 8 before that. damn. I'm old.

#13 ·
I rafted every day (guiding) all through my first trimester with my little one & the only problem I had was trying to not let my customers notice me puking off the back of my boat... and the fact that my daughter is already a little whitewater addict & began asking me for a kayak at the age of 2! Obviously D doesn't have the morning sickness like I did... but apparently a dog mess the other morning triggered it for her... so dead cows... likely yes! Also, I believe she will be into her 2nd trimester by the trip (unless of course I'm thinking of a different pregnant lady going on a high water Yampa trip in June with no morning sickness...) Anyways, I know miscarriage scare is lower by then, and she is ordering a new highfloat pfd, to cover said belly, concerned about the oar factor... All in all I know she is nervous, but I know she is also excited, & women who have been boaters their whole lives cant help but be boater moms & boater pregnant ladies too! My best friend who is also a guide & a mom boated all through her 3rd trimester with her first baby! It is simply who we are... & in the immortal words of Popeye "I yam what I yam!" I am a River Mamma... & those of you who are River Mammas as well, know exactly what I'm talking about, you cant help but be anything else :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.