Wild Rumpus! - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2014   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Wild Rumpus!

Next weekend (April 19th) is the First Annual Wild Rumpus! Gather up all of your ladies and mark your calendars!

The Wild Rumpus is going to be a ladies-only event involving skiing, biking, and some low water paddling to kick of the kayaking season in style and say au revior to a great ski season. Come join us in celebrating chicks who charge in outdoor sports! Participants are welcome to do any or all of the events, but only those who complete all 3 will be eligible for a sweet homemade medal. An evening of festivities at the Ansel Watrous campground will follow. Donít forget to bring your finest costumes for the after-party and award ceremony.

Here are the details (these may change based on snow/water conditions and suggestions):

Date: April 19, 2014
Time: Nice and early. Plan on meeting at the Zimmerman parking lot to ski at 9 AM, leaving the Zimmerman parking lot to bike at around 11 AM, and leaving bridges put-in anywhere from 2 to 4 PM.
SKIING: The skiing will take place at Montgomery trail. This is about a 1.5-2 mile long ski up a steepish trail. If the snow if fabulous, we may need to go for a few laps in the bowl. If it isn't, we will probably turn around at the tree line and ski right back down. Snowshoers are welcome, but will be teased. The trail is steep enough to require climbing skins.
BIKING: Immediately following a change of clothes, the biking will begin in the Zimmerman parking lot. If there is too much snow on the side of the road way up there we will drive down until riding on the road is more reasonable. The ride from Zimmerman to Bridges Put-In is about 40 miles. That's a pretty long ride, but we will have Sag Wagoneers with warm clothes, snacks, and encouragement available. Also a lot of downhill is involved. If people are feeling apprehensive about this part of the Rumpus, we can discuss kayaking much higher in the canyon (there is a mellow section above Spencer Heights).
KAYAKING: Following another costume change, the Wild Rumpus will end with some kayaking (or duckying) on the bridges section of the Poudre River. The water will be cold and low, so bring cold weather paddling gear.
PARTY: Ansel Watrous campground doesn't require reservations until late May, so depending on how many people RSVP we will plan on parking some cars there early in the day to reserve a few spots.

Although the actual event is ladies only, boyfriends/husbands/dads are more than welcome to be sag wagoneers and/or attend the party afterwards. Due to the logistical complexity, the more help we have driving the better! Beer and gratitude will be provided to helpers.
I would also like to stress that this isn't a race! The purpose of this event is to get women together and having fun. Plan on a tough, fun day but not a cutthroat race to the finish line.
Please RSVP with your level of interest ASAP (from "count me in" to "maybe" to "no way") so we can start on the next stages of planning.
Please donít hesitate to call or email me with your RSVP and/or suggestions and questions ([email protected] or 970-219-3798 ).

katealta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014   #2
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
In the immortal words of Max
"LET THE WILD RUMPUS START"
Old 04-10-2014   #3

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I wish I was in foco for this!!! It sounds AWESOME
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
@trickpony, come to Fort Collins for this! It's going to be a total blast! @LSB, well put!
Old 04-11-2014   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
I would like to stress that this event is totally open to anybody who wants to comes, not just people we already know! Also, if you are missing a key piece of gear or equipment call or text me and we will figure it out!
Old 04-11-2014   #6

Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Kate muthatruckin Alta... of course you are rallying this. I should have known!
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Alex! I didn't know it was you until I looked at your profile description and noticed that your interests include lavish decadence.
Any chance you might find yourself around Fort Collins just in time for this fabulous event?
Old 04-13-2014   #8

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
let the wild rumpus begin

This sounds like a sweet event! I wouldn't miss it for the world. See your ski pant/bike short/kayak skirt clad booty on the Poudre this weekend baby!
court15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #9

fort collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Dude! I have some friends who want to come but they are worried that it will be too intense for them. Am I correct in thinking that this is a mellow, goofy event not an intense race?
court15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
That is exactly right! This event is an event for ladies of all skill level, as long as they are willing to have a great time. I know for a fact that a few people are planning on snowshoeing up and sledding down instead of skiing! The point of this event is to help women who are interested in outdoor activities communicate and connect with one another. Tell your friends they will have a blast!