What did you get under your belt in 2010? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 08-22-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
What did you get under your belt in 2010?

Hey there Betties!

Just curious who got after what this season.
Did anyone just start boating and get obsessed with it?
Did you run Bailey for the release or otherwise? Foxton? Waterton?
Are you heading to WV in Sept?
Any first time runs that you were psyched on?

One of my goals this season was to get familiar on a few runs, rather than hit a bunch of runs...I wanted to up my level of confidence and thought that getting to know a run well enough to kill it was a good way. I got in lots of laps on lower CC, Stephens down (Poudre), and Middles (Poudre), which was a bangin' good time.

A couple of first timers on the list were Black Rock and Lowers. They were both at low water, but just feeling confident enough to get on it was what I was looking for, so mission accomplished.

Fellows, you are welcome to join this thread just don't hijack with too much testosterone

Beth

Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Ummm, so....did anyone get out there and paddle/raft this season ; ) Geez, I'll just go ahead and throw tubing into the mix if that'll get a response
Old 08-23-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
No tubing...but I guess a ducky's close enough to a tube. I had a few personal 1sts. I did Foxton for the 1st time on Bailey fest weekend. I also did Royal Gorge for the 1st time - 800 cfs, but still I was excited.
xena13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Well, you said it was ok for us "fellows" to chime in...Fossil Creek and Oak Creek in AZ, Racecourse in NM, Conejos River CO, Stevens Down on the Poudre, and Foxton were all new runs to me this year....and I enjoyed every one of them.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #5

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
This was my first year so every run was new to me, but these are what I got done...

Granite, The Numbers, Fractions, Milk Run, Browns Canyon, Rincon to Pinnacle, Pinnacle to Parkdale, The Royal Gorge, The Taylor (All Sections), Eleven Mile Canyon, Deckers, Foxton, Bailey, Upper Alto-Alto.

I loved all of it but I really enjoyed Eleven Mile, Upper Upper Taylor, Numbers, and Bailey.
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #6

The longer I do this the harder it is to find "new " runs.

New this year: Granite, Cross Mtn and Gore Canyon.

Also was the first year since 1997 that I have not been in either Idaho/Montana or on the Grand.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #7

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
New runs for me this year:

big south

Upper CC, Blackrock

bear creek

glenwood wave

I got to spend all summer in Fort Collins for the first summer since I started boating (I live here year round). I really missed not being in the ark valley for the first time in 4 years, but it was really sweet to run steven's down daily at 5+ feet instead of just getting a few runs in at the beginning and end of the season here in the fort. On the flip side, I really missed the numbers and the Ark playboating in particular (although I did get on the new BV features, and the bottom one is SICK). AND, I missed my homies in BV (except for fat bob--he's a dick).

I gotta say though, IMO stevens down at high water is just more fun than the numbers because it is SO much longer. Now, at low water (500-700), the numbers is WAY better than 1 or 1.5 on the poudre. I didn't get the peak on the numbers this year, but did get it last year. It was WAY cool to be on the poudre at almost 6 feet this year though!
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
New runs for me:

Grand Canyon
Numbers
Pine Creek
Royal Gorge
Chama
Lower San Juan

And the old favorites: Piedra, Upper A, Lower A, Salt, Westwater

Still haven't seen the Poudre or anything in Idaho- next summer!
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #9

B.F.E., Wyoming
New ones for me:
Westwater at 13,000
NorthGate Canyon
Gore
CC Blackrock to Rigo at low water
First Historical run of Fremont Canyon of N. Platte in 20+ years

Wish I could have added Bailey to that list... But a pretty good year for me. Its not over yet! Gore Fest!
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010   #10

Buena Vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
New ones for me:
First Historical run of Fremont Canyon of N. Platte in 20+ years
Nice! What was that like?
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote