Werner Double Diamond - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-30-2011   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Werner Double Diamond

....just arrived. Haven't had it out yet. Do any of you gals paddle with one? Now that I got it my friends are telling me I will find it too stiff.

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
I will find it too stiff
I'm gonna just let that go.... ha!

I'm not a real gear head, so I'm not really sure exactly what that means. I would like to learn about the more technical aspects of paddles though, so would love if you expounded a little.
How long is it? I imagine if you do feel like it's stiff, you might want it shorter...for that added responsiveness????
I know I find it more advantageous to have a shorter shaft, 191, for playboating and a little longer for creeking, 194.
Old 11-02-2011   #3
Go Big Or Go Home!

Gadsden, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to chris banjo Send a message via MSN to chris banjo Send a message via Yahoo to chris banjo Send a message via Skype™ to chris banjo
I have that paddle

it's a great paddle being stiff is what you want for play boating.
btw This is a play boat paddle. I wouldn't use it for creek. I think you could break it fast. The first day I took it out I was trying to catch a killer wave and hit a rock and busted the jell on the blade. With the small shaft I have a death grip on it. on a 8 foot wave or hole that stiff blade comes in handy. its pulls more water with every stroke with the stiff blade and foam core it has in it. You can learn a back deck roll fast thanks to the foam core. The foam helps the paddle float so it gives you a killer brace and helps your roll. Bad thing is ..... you really need to be careful not to over extend your arms. you can pop your should out fast. alot of people like flex on a blade cause its better on your shoulders. oh and one more thing. I'm a big werner fan cause their bent shaft feels more natural when you hold it.

Hope this help
CB

Chris Banjo
chris banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
How long is it? I imagine if you do feel like it's stiff, you might want it shorter...for that added responsiveness????

You know kids read this message board Edna. You should be ashamed!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011   #5

bc, CA
Thanks for the feedback Chris. I will make sure I treat it nicely and use my old paddle if I do any creeking. I mostly paddle class 3ish with lots of play in-between. I went to my first play park this year and have fallen in love with playboating. My offside roll isn't very good so maybe the foam core will help that. Yay!!!
Would love to hear more feedback from others!
Old 11-02-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
You know kids read this message board Edna. You should be ashamed!

I know, I know, but how'za girl gonna stop when it's JUST SO EASY!!!! ("that's what he said...." Doh!!!!! Somebody, STOP me!)
Old 11-04-2011   #7

Copper Mountain, Colorado
I disagree with the comment about creeking with it. I used mine everywhere this season including 25+ laps on gore. Great all around paddle.
Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #8

bc, CA
Cphilli...thanks for the comments. I will finally be trying it out tomorrow. Yay. Mine is a 191 - 12 degree offset-bent. That's what my last paddle was and I am really used to not having to feather. I have never used a Werner though. My last paddle was an H20-2 bent....very different, but the H20 does seem somewhat more flexible. I'm not sure what the advantages/disadvantages are to that?
Old 11-04-2011   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Man, one wanders into the Betty forum and this is what goes down. I can't read a sentence of this thread without cracking up.

Umm, but assuming this isn't really a female specific post... I never liked the carbon Werners because I felt they were too sniff (i.e. flexes less). Here's my amateur take on the materials (ugg, still laughing). These carbon blades are made to flex less, which practically speaking (arguably), means that more of your paddling energy is being directed into the propulsion of your boat through the water rather than lost in material flex. At the very least, it's a more immediately transfer of power.

Other obvious advantages are they can generally make the blade lighter with carbon and the material wear better (esp. compared to fiberglass) but with current technology at the cost of being weaker for catastrophic failures.

But back to the flex. My problem with the stiff blade is I think it's harder on your joints (wear and tear) and makes you slightly more prone to a catastrophic shoulder injury (the paddler injury of choice). In whitewater, I also don't see the need for it. It's such a dynamic environment, dependent on finesse and skill that I don't ever see a scenario where this infinitesimal difference in power transfer makes or breaks a move, except maybe at the most elite levels. So I say more stiffness = more injuries = bad.

Please continue with sexual innuendo.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #10

bc, CA
oh!!! sorry to hear such a bad review on this paddle. I guess I will find out how much my joints are going to hurt tomorrow. Arrrggg!!!!