Those crazy Russians! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-17-2011   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Those crazy Russians!

After meeting some Russians on the Grand a couple of years ago, this seemed just about right...
I think the initial river crossing might be my fave, but there's a head to rock ender in there that's a real winner too...and all the cat craft surfs...its all good!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011   #2

Awesome! Do you notice how most WW videos seem to edit out the carnage but the Russian video is ONLY carnage. Do they edit out the successful runs?

Oh, and are those life-vests inflatable pool floaties? I think I had one of those when I was a toddler.
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Best vid I've seen in a long time. And the music is perfect. Btw, dude loses his pants at 0min 53sec.
Preston H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011   #4

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Anyone know what the shedder-like boat is called and where it's from?
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not sure Nessy, but the pieced together craft, that the grand canyon russians i met in '09 had, was equally impressive. I'm trying to find the pictures I took so I can post them. They packed some of it up in luggage, on the flight, and mailed some it.
It was literally stitched together.
Man, they had a shit ton of vodka and scotch...and they liked to share. GOOD TIMES!
Old 09-17-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Those guys seriously need to look into the invention of rockered tubes. Then again, they wouldn't have so much entertaining carnage footage then, so on second thought, as you were.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #7

Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
I know the Russian craft as the "Dah" (sp??). I barely speak english let alone Russian but I'm told it means "yes". I saw one on the Ark this summer. It was pretty impressive and creative for it's time. I like the "Super Duck" rig that myself and friends have been using for a number of years now due to it's lower center of gravity, more comfortable seating position, and improved stability. I've never posted a picture on the Buzz but maybe the link below will work.

SuperDuck Inflatable rig :: Zoom Flume 3660 cfs picture by mikeeh1954 - Photobucket
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Star Wars boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednaout View Post
Not sure Nessy, but the pieced together craft, that the grand canyon russians i met in '09 had, was equally impressive. I'm trying to find the pictures I took so I can post them. They packed some of it up in luggage, on the flight, and mailed some it.
It was literally stitched together.
Man, they had a shit ton of vodka and scotch...and they liked to share. GOOD TIMES!
It reminds me of the Cloud City patrol spaceship from the Empire Strikes Back. It makes sense that Russian river runners would cobble together boats from salvaged military surplus, rather than spend all their money on brand name boats. Russia must be a gold mine of forgotten cold war stuff. The "Dah". I want one.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #9

Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Anyone notice how much floatation is in there vest!!!! a lot!
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011   #10

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
OMG- that was all kinds of ugly! The face plant into the rock was my fave.... fitting music for that.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote