Seeking private instruction (Colorado) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 09-05-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mntgrl
Seeking private instruction (Colorado)

Howdy!

(I'm posting this in both the Boater's and the Betty forums.)

I discovered whitewater kayaking a few months ago and promised myself to immerse myself into it during my next vacation.

So, I'm looking for an in-depth (perhaps, week-long) introduction to the sport. It seems courses are primarily conducted during the weekends (with a lake component followed by a river day) with a 4:1 group to instructor ratio. That's great for some, but since it's a water-sport, I cannot wear my hearing aids on the river and think I would prefer private instruction. (I can lip-read and communicate verbally.)

My ideal situation would be a class II-III trip or a crash-course consisting of daily instruction for a number of consecutive days. I would need to rent gear, and if presented with a trip option, I assure you that I'm a laid-back chill gal to camp out with: I'm a WEMT, a great back-country cook, and have a plethora of funny stories and jokes to share.

Suggestions, friendly introductions, and referrals for private instruction are greatly appreciated. I'll be based in the Denver area, but am willing to travel anywhere. The time frame I'm looking at is between 9/22 - 9/27.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, folks!

Cheers!

mntgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010   #2

the Springs, Colorado
You could try RA Guides. They offer private lessons, plus the Colorado will have enough water this time of year.

Outdoor Adventure Travel Company-Tours,Camps,Lessons-Colorado Guides
1srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
RMOC might still be able to help you out. Low water is a good time to learn. Check them out:

Rocky Mountain Outdoor Center: World Class Whitewater Kayak Instruction
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2010   #4
TheVanLife

Vagabond, Earth
Paddling Since: 1999
RAGuides are better

You should look into RAGuides they are amazing and they have a wonderful woman on their staff who is a great class IV+/V- boater and loves to teach. Make sure that you ask for Christine.

Good luck!
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #5

kayaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntgrl View Post
Howdy!

(I'm posting this in both the Boater's and the Betty forums.)

I discovered whitewater kayaking a few months ago and promised myself to immerse myself into it during my next vacation.

So, I'm looking for an in-depth (perhaps, week-long) introduction to the sport. It seems courses are primarily conducted during the weekends (with a lake component followed by a river day) with a 4:1 group to instructor ratio. That's great for some, but since it's a water-sport, I cannot wear my hearing aids on the river and think I would prefer private instruction. (I can lip-read and communicate verbally.)

My ideal situation would be a class II-III trip or a crash-course consisting of daily instruction for a number of consecutive days. I would need to rent gear, and if presented with a trip option, I assure you that I'm a laid-back chill gal to camp out with: I'm a WEMT, a great back-country cook, and have a plethora of funny stories and jokes to share.

Suggestions, friendly introductions, and referrals for private instruction are greatly appreciated. I'll be based in the Denver area, but am willing to travel anywhere. The time frame I'm looking at is between 9/22 - 9/27.

Have a great Labor Day weekend, folks!

Cheers!
Come check us out at Alpine Kayak. We do trips for all abilities and have been for over 20 years. We do private, customized trips on a regular basis. Give em a shout at 970-926-3867, email: info at alpinequestsports dot com We're based just a few minutes from the Colorado river. You'll love kayaking
ross is offline   Reply With Quote