Question for you ladies with drysuits..... - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 09-12-2008   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Question for you ladies with drysuits.....

I bought my wife the woman's Kokatat Gore-Tex front-entry drysuit with the drop-seat relief zipper. She has been primarily an I.K. paddler, gotten up to some substantial class IVish stuff like the Selway, S.F. Payette canyon, etc. The suit worked GREAT in her I.K. but now she is starting to paddle a regular kayak more frequently and the relief zipper is driving her CRAZY; can't seem to get it positioned comfortably either under or over the backband and nowhere does it work well for her on the hip pads. Any suggestions from other gals that have that type of relief zipper in their drysuits???????? She is really cold-blooded, so wears the drysuit pretty much all the time, and really wants to spend more time in a whitewater boat, but we are having a tough time with that giant drop-seat relief zipper. Would really appreciate any help with this problem from women that have figured it out. Thanks much.

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Short of a new drysuit, I don't know.

I have the front zipper in mine... just use the FUD is the best thing ever! Sani-Fem Freshette F.U.D. from REI.com Of course, it has many other affectionate names.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008   #3

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaciag View Post
Short of a new drysuit, I don't know.

I have the front zipper in mine... just use the FUD is the best thing ever! Sani-Fem Freshette F.U.D. from REI.com Of course, it has many other affectionate names.

Laurie
Can't do that; her suit is new this past March. We had talked to a couple of other women who said the "FUD" didn't work that well for them in a men's drysuit (dribbles, having it empty onto the drysuit, etc). Guess we should have had her try it out for herself, though, as the men's relief zipper obviously poses no problem with hip pads or backbands.
I had seen older versions of women's drysuits with the relief zipper running between the legs. That looked even worse to deal with, lots of chafing, etc. and the zippers apparently failed from walking around in the drysuit. Bit of a dilemma here, but guess we'll get it figured out.......
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008   #4
mgk

I think Laurie is right. Sacrifice a little money for comfort, sell it while it's still new and get one with a men's zipper. As for the fancy devices, I just use a small plastic funnel from the hardwear store! with a little caution, it works like a charm.
mgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've had no trouble w/the FUD. Now that I'm rowing more, I use it while rafting rather than pulling over or hanging off a tube and I plan to use it skiing this year.

I got a great deal on a drysuit with no zipper and did some research before deciding what I wanted installed. This thread had some good discussion. DrySuit Relief Zipper thru the crotch? - Canoeing / Kayaking

Some of 'women's' drysuits are doing the horizontal zipper (I know I saw it in the latest NRS catalog), so you don't necessarly have to go w/men's sizing. Also, the women's fleece liners I've seen have a zipper that goes both ways... zips from the bottom up as well as the top down.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote