Old chicks still rock - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2009   #1

AB, AB
Paddling Since: 2008
Old chicks still rock

I was reading a posting from brenda in the other forum and was wondering if there are any older female paddlers out there that are still rockin!!! I am 49 and just starting out. Any fun stories

j-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm 40, and started rafting 3 years ago, this will be my fourth. So how about "middle aged chicks still rock!" Heck, we never have to call ourselves old if we're out ripping lines and making big drops, right?

Not many women use this forum on the Buzz, and I think that is too bad. But it does often take "older women" to have gotten past the competitive stage with other women, and be ready to cut the sh!t. And there aren't a ton of us on the Buzz. That said, most of the guys can't keep their eyes to themselves so it's never really a womens forum anyways, but they usually have good insight to offer with experiences with girlfriends and wives too so it ends up all good.

I think it's great you're learning to boat, learning anything at any age over 30 takes a lot of guts, male or female.
Old 02-12-2009   #3

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You'll be "old" when you stop boating! Enjoy the rivers and welcome to the sport!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009   #4

Not being female, but having heard a female perspective, men tend to be more competitive, whereas women usually compare themselves unfavorable to other women.

I've got a Grand Canyon trip planned with two young women who don't know each other, but both have good boating skills. I'm wondering if they should share a boat or each go solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Not many women use this forum on the Buzz, and I think that is too bad. But it does often take "older women" to have gotten past the competitive stage with other women, and be ready to cut the sh!t. And there aren't a ton of us on the Buzz. That said, most of the guys can't keep their eyes to themselves so it's never really a womens forum anyways, but they usually have good insight to offer with experiences with girlfriends and wives too so it ends up all good.
cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadster View Post
Not being female, but having heard a female perspective, men tend to be more competitive, whereas women usually compare themselves unfavorable to other women.

I've got a Grand Canyon trip planned with two young women who don't know each other, but both have good boating skills. I'm wondering if they should share a boat or each go solo.
Talk to them about it. And encourage them to support each other, it's amazing how easily men can enable competition between women, mostly without even knowing it! It depends on their personality and level of security. Do they have a lot of women boating/recreational friends? Then they'll likely be more in tune with each other and used to enjoying such things with women. If they are more used to boating/recreating with only men, sharing the spotlight with another woman will be unfamiliar, and thus probably uncomfortable. Younger, likely more competitive.

I can relate to this, I was in the competitive section when younger, there were no other women doing what I was doing, and so that was my norm. I was "one of the guys", and I didn't like someone stepping on my territory. So the more you can discourage competitiveness, and support them as co-females, the better your trip will be.

Even though fighting women can be hell, keep in mind if you are the odd one out in your own faction against two women in the canyon, well....god help you then.
Old 02-12-2009   #6

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I am not really old yet…although sometimes I feel like it. I don’t think age has anything to do with being competitive with other people. I feel like it is a personality and confidence issue rather than a matter of age.And maybe it takes age to sort out thoes types of things, I don't know. I do not think I am really competitive with other women boaters. When I am paddling, I am paddling. I am also “one of the guys” in fact; most of the guys I paddle with don’t really see me as a “girl” anyways. I also am not defensive about the guys I paddle with. If a girl moves in on one of them, great, it lets them focus on just paddling when I am on the river with them. Seems like a perfect situation for me. Why would I complain?

I really enjoy paddling with other girls; I have gotten some of my closest female friends paddling and LOVE being on the river with them. Girls think about the river and paddle much differently than guys do. It is good to be in common thought on thought water or even just float trips. I wish there were more girls on the water; I always seem to enjoy paddling more with them around.

Plus, the lame macho man jokes get old after a while.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #7
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I'm not that old either, but I agree with CUKayakgirl- competitive spirit isn't male or female, but personal. I never enjoyed team sports because I'm not competitive- I suck at Monopoly for the same reason.

I love boating because I can challenge myself and I love it when there are other girls around with the same mindset. Unfortunately, I often find myself the only girl or at least the only female rower.

I tried to set up an all girl boat trip on the Green last fall on here and had 0 takers. I ended up taking my mom and my son and we had a great time.

Fortunately I've always felt comfortable in a group of guys or girls, so as long as I'm on the water, what the hell.

The only thing I wish is that there were better male raft guide jokes- the female ones are so much better!
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm 50 and loving life. Well, as soon as spring get's here. I am passionate about kayaking. I had my best season last year and stepped it up a bit venturing down Gore, Black Rock on CC and more than 18,000 vertical feet in EddyFlowers challenge. I feel compulsive once the rivers start flowing. Sometimes I think I've got to get it while I can because of my age, but I realize that the young guys are going for it full blast, too. It's the nature of run off in Colorado and life. It won't last forever.
SueCherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #9

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
TMTTR - I'd love to do an all girls trip! I wanted to do the one in the fall, but timing was bad. And there's a few other chicks that would join as well.

Sue - You're my hero!!!

I plan on being on the river until I die.

Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
sue you are amazing. you remind me of a good fellow in cody named Ed. keep it up i hope i can even bend over to get in my boat at that age.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote