Okay...here's what I overheard Sunday morning - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 05-21-2007   #1

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Okay...here's what I overheard Sunday morning

I'm a guy and I'm posting this rather delicate subject on the Betty Buzz. What I am about to relate is by no means my opinion, just something I overheard at the CWWA Training Camp in Cotopaxi this past weekend.

I was on my way to get some breakfast burritos for my wife and son when I heard this guy talking to some other males about Bettys. I'll paraphrase it.

Basically he stated that Bettys only boat to find husbands/boyfriends to so can begin the nesting process, get knocked up and have kids and quit boating.

I kind of found the statement rather odd, rude, and well, just plain wrong. What do y'all think?

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007   #2

that sums it up

Odd, rude, and well, just plain wrong sums it up. Not much to add to that in my opinion. That is like saying guys only date for a shuttle driver. Are males really that selfish? Women boat for the love of boating too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvhyde View Post
I'm a guy and I'm posting this rather delicate subject on the Betty Buzz. What I am about to relate is by no means my opinion, just something I overheard at the CWWA Training Camp in Cotopaxi this past weekend.

I was on my way to get some breakfast burritos for my wife and son when I heard this guy talking to some other males about Bettys. I'll paraphrase it.

Basically he stated that Bettys only boat to find husbands/boyfriends to so can begin the nesting process, get knocked up and have kids and quit boating.

I kind of found the statement rather odd, rude, and well, just plain wrong. What do y'all think?
moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I think we all know there are ignorant people in the world and there was no need to bring it up here.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007   #4

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
I bought it up because....

It really pissed me off. Both my sweeps on Saturday were women, and good boaters at that and neither were looking for someone to nest with.
Old 05-21-2007   #5

Look Around...

I boat because i love the river...it teaches me so many lessons and is great for my soul, & it helps me get through every day life. First of all I know plenty of independent female boaters who are in it for similar reasons as me. We don't boat in hopes of getting knocked up. That's the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. Second, i have been knocked up. My son is 7 months old. And his daddy does not boat!! Whoa! But he's very supportive in running shuttle and watching our son when i'm on the river. i couldn't ask for a better man. see you all on the river.
randie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Ouch...... On behalf of the other 99.99% of CWWA (oops (CW) I appollogize. That is just wrong. That IS NOT the attitude of CW.
cliffyleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #7

Salida, Colorado
second the motion of why even bring it up?
tress33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #8

I bet that kayaking doesn't attract that sort of gal. Doesn't seem compatible with the mental and physical fortitude required by the sport, IMO. Anyway, what woman in her right mind would go looking for the perfect boyfriend and eventual father in a kayaker?! Let's see, you don't see him for at least three months out of the year, and there are MANY late night worry sessions that cannot be shared or remotely understood with girlfriends with partners that don't boat, not to mention the nasty possibilities that crosses your mind concerning being an eventual single parent... whatever.

But, the ratio is pretty good if you're a gal looking for a fling and don't mind the stench of rank boating gear.
nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #9

Duhrango
I bet I know why that guy is still single.
Old 05-21-2007   #10

I third that- why post here.

Why not speak up & tell them off on the spot instead of whining on the buzz on the gals forum.

The few ladies I boat with are not there to catch husbands.

Would like to see more out there.

Cliff
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote