new at this - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2009   #1

University Place, Washington
Paddling Since: 2001
new at this

I have been thinking about rafting and paddling for awhile now. I have lost about 75lbs and want to try something new. I have never done this before it sounds like a lots of fun. Can anyone help me on where to start and what to do?

Thanks

carla42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
pool session if you want to kayak.
get on some commercial raft trips to see if you like that as well.

do you like to be alone or with friends drinking beer? if you like to be alone, kayaking is great. if you like drinking and hanging with friends rafting is probably the sport for you. not that you can't kayak in groups. you are just independent while you kayak. rafting you can have a lot of fun.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
You don't have to drink beer to enjoy rafting, but consensus would differ. I do both, and it's all good.

Edit: I am not going to change my original wording, but I just noticed that it makes me look like an alcoholic, I meant kayaking and rafting.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009   #4

Fort Bragg, California
Fun? Whitewater is an awesome rush in a raft but even more in a kayak under your own control and power.

Kayaking? Definitely start with a beginner's class. Rafting? Rally a bunch of friends and book a trip and have FUN!!!
thorn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You could also start kayaking with training wheels, a ducky or a sit-on top, to get an idea if you like that. My decision to raft was mostly the comfort factor (kayaks are just too cramped and KILL my back) and taking dogs.
Old 02-12-2009   #6

thanks everyone for the info. So where are some good places to go to and all that.

thanks Carla
Old 02-12-2009   #7

Fort Bragg, California
If you are interested in Northern California, we have some great rivers for rafting and kayaking and a whole big ocean for kayaking. Otterbar, DeRemier Adventures, Kayak University, and Liquid Fusion Kayaking have some of the top instructors in the state.
thorn91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You might check some Yahoo forums, I think there are some boating forums for Washing/Oregon where there would be more folks that can help point you in the right direction in your area.
Old 02-17-2009   #9

I will be sure to look into here in Washington and Oregon for some good rivers to go to. If you find any good places let me know.

Thank You. Carla
Old 02-17-2009   #10
sj

Carla Congrats on your weight loss. You've got good advice so far. Pool sessions in a Kayak are the best way to start there. Also The White Salmon River near Husam Washington runs year round(across the river from Hood River Ore.). The Husum falls section is a good class III run (get out above Husum Falls). There is an outfitter right off the highway. I would recomend themand that stretch for a paddle boat first. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote