My wife's feet are cold - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2011   #1
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
My wife's feet are cold

Just got off Lodore trip in 40-60 degree weather and my wife complained a lot about her feet and toes being way too cold. We are rafters. So I am wondering what I should get her for Xmas? She does have a dry suit, but prefers to wear splash gear because of tight gaskets on the dry suit. What can I get her to keep her feet warm during wet/cold runs? Would 5mm neoprene socks work? Or do you guys know something better?

Thanks,
Alex

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011   #2

Indian Hills, Colorado
Does she wear wool socks under her booties? It's a little trick that keep my feet toasty.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #3
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
Best way to keep your feet (and you) warm is to keep your feet dry.
Drysuit.
Boots.
waders.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011   #4

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Get her a pair of muck boots like the concrete workers wear. She will need to wear good splash pants with a semi-open cuff that goes over the top of them. Or, gaiters like skiers wear for the tops of the boots.

If any water gets in, her feet will be wet, so also get a spare footbed for the boots.

I got mine at Sportsmans Warehouse for $35 or so a few years ago.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
She doesn't wear wool socks, I will try that.

We were thinking of getting those rubber mud boots as well. I am afraid if she ever fell in though those would be like anchors, no?
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #6

Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
A drysuit is the best, as long as it doesn't have ankle gaskets. Assuming it has goretex socks, then try the wool sock trick. She could carefully trim a bit (one ring at a time) from the wrist and neck gaskets.
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #7

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
She doesn't wear wool socks, I will try that.

We were thinking of getting those rubber mud boots as well. I am afraid if she ever fell in though those would be like anchors, no?
Yes, absolutely. I don't wear mine when the flip risk is there. Don't flip! Keep her in the boat!
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Chota makes a great knee high, neoprene boot with rubber soles that cinches at the top of the calf. I use them on cold weather trips as well as in Alaska, along with smart wool socks. Keeps the feet toasty.

Because they fit relatively snug around the feet and calves, not much water could get in them if they were submersed so it wouldn't add any problems getting back into the boat.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Does she wear wool socks under her booties? It's a little trick that keep my feet toasty.
x3 ^^ I use high end "smartwool" brand socks and 1/2 size big on the booties. The plus is, if ya drink from the bootie. a 1/2 size gives you a whole extra gulp! easier to stay hydrated.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #10

Summit County, Colorado
I've got a women's Kokotat drysuit that has the Goretex booties. I always wear a pair of wool socks underneath, not only for warmth, but to help keep the insides of the booties somewhat clean (they don't stink as much as when you go barefoot in it). I also wear NRS booties on the outside to protect the drysuit booties from snagging on something and ripping open. I'm very cold-natured and this system works well for me.

I understand her issue with the gaskets, however the drysuit is SO much nicer than splash gear. Getting a little wet with the splash gear most likely isn't helping her feet to stay warm either. The more I wore my drysuit, the more comfortable the gaskets got. I have heard of people cutting them down, but I was told just to tough it out until they got more comfortable. I would have been pretty upset if I cut them and then they stretched too much. FWIW...
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote