Multi-sport Road Trip Van conversion - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2008   #1
PACNW Native

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Multi-sport Road Trip Van conversion

Ok, so... here is the situation, I have asked many people (all males to this point) about converting my Ford Windstar minivan to a traveling kayak carrying road van. I have looked over some other peoples designs for their uhm.. interior layout . Aside from setting up a bed of some sort, and putting in bins for various gear.. .What other 'things' would you ladies suggest that I include in my interior make over design? I know it seems like a weird question but I need help 'thinking of things'. Like in talking it over with a chica-climber friend of mine, she suggested that since there is a chance I will be camped out in the backcountry for a few days at a stretch, that I should make an air tight stink proof 'feminine products' canister, in case said event arises when I am a ways out from the closest garbage bin. Any other ideas ?

Thanks

Nic

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Maybe you could make a little table/drawer thingy next to the bed. Then you can put a little light for reading and also keep your book nearby. Also, you should probably have some curtains on the windows so that you can change in privacy. Could you build any kind of shelving unit on the sides maybe. Also, you should build your bed on top of a drawer set or maybe just an open space... that way you can put stuff under your bed... paddle, shoes, whatever else you want.

Any way to wire that thing so that you can watch movies or play video games?

Good Luck.
Gypsyblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #3
PACNW Native

Longmont, Colorado
Great ideas! I was going to build an open platform bed high enough that i could slide the paddles underneath but not so high that I couldn't sit on it without bumping my head. I like the idea of a small table thingy next to it... especially if I could have it extend from between the two front seats. And oh yeah... already have it rigged up for my computer/movies and video games. I love those little velcro squares with the sticky glue on the back... i have them all over, and attached the others to various appliances... now I can strap my ipod, a ac/dc converter, my light etc.. all within reach and it doesn't fall down!! WOO HOO.. ok so the only thing that isn't 'secured' is my kayak 'bender and dog'.... they periodically go sliding across the dash if I take a turn to hard or to fast... WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oh yeah and kudos on the curtains.... I don't know why i didn't think of that in my initial planning phase...
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008   #4
ric

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
I'm only a guy,
but idea for fem disposal issue!
you can get small amo can at army surplus,air tight rubber seal easy to store,
use shopping bag as liner
just an idea
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008   #5
PACNW Native

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric View Post
I'm only a guy,
but idea for fem disposal issue!
you can get small amo can at army surplus,air tight rubber seal easy to store,
use shopping bag as liner
just an idea

OOOHH!! good Idea.. I actually have a few of those laying around in my storage unit... ((Previous life))
Old 04-23-2008   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Being someone who lived out of a van for a considerable period of time, I always wanted to rig up a tarp pole setup over the side door to be able to cook in the foyer. I never got around to making it, but for shade and cooking it would be nice. Once of those big beach umbrellas with receiver on the side of the van might be a nice way to go.
A little chunk of indoor outdoor to throw on the ground by the door too.

I designed my bed so a cooler and dry boxes would fit underneath. But I could not sit up without crinky neck.

I have seen very long pullout boxes under a low bed that were really nice to store things in.

I would consider rodent proof containers for food to discourage the little invaders. I had several tag-a-longs in the 18 months I was on the road as the doors are open a lot. I caulked all my installed wooden shelves and bins pretty well, but they were always trying to find a way.

Sounds like you have a good start. Good luck.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #7
PACNW Native

Longmont, Colorado
thanks!
Old 04-23-2008   #8

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Buy a sun Shower and make a way to hang it high and away from outside the van....Like a retractable pole (in case no trees close by)
erdvm1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
I think Jason Kehl did a real sweet job, minus all the bones.

Things to note: his under bed storage, heat shield drape and sick cook station in the back.

Old 04-23-2008   #10

Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Wow. That's the coolest kitchen I've seen yet!

If you ever want to throw a propane tank on your van, I recommend diguising it so it's not obvious someone is sleeping inside- especially if you have to park it in the city and there are no Walmart lots to crash in.

Curtains are another red flag for the popo and park rangers, but I haven't figured out how to get around that one yet.

Have fun tricking out your van!!!
Gtwo is offline   Reply With Quote