Lost nerve in paddling - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2013   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Lost nerve in paddling

After suffering a bad knee injury in Nov/12 and having (unsuccessful) surgery in March/13, I seem to be very hesitant to paddle anything harder than class III.
I have healed enough to get into my boat but am told I will not improve much more than this until I decide to do a knee replacement...so they say. I am hoping to prove them wrong.
I am not sure if these feelings are because I am afraid to swim (and bash my knee - not much of a patella left) or just make a total ass of myself.
I am nowhere near the fitness level I was last summer but am having a hard time figuring out if my fears are rational or just phantom fears.
Feeling pretty bummed right now!

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013   #2
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've had both hips replaced and from my point of view you need to get that knee replaced so that you can get back in the game. Good luck to you.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #3

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Boating is about... having fun - among other things. Boat at a level that is comfortable and fun for you. These levels change for a variety of reasons. When the time comes to step it up further you will know.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Sounds bad enough that it might be affecting other area of your life. Get your knee fixed!

And if III is sufficient challenge for you this season, by all means, boat class III!! Winter is long (and good surgery recovery time)..bank some memories this season to get you through it!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #5
The Old Troll

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
God bless you. I've been where you are. The longer you wait the longer it will take to rehabilitate. Bite the bullet find a good surgeon and do it. I have friends who are skiing now who have had their knees fixed. My hips are great.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda View Post
I am not sure if these feelings are because I am afraid to swim (and bash my knee - not much of a patella left) or just make a total ass of myself.
Sadly, I feel you. After my swim down lower clear creek (mainly due to making a total ass of myself), I banged up my lower half pretty bad; knees, shins, thighs, tailbone, you name it. No where near the level of knee-hurt you had, but still. Couldn't quite walk right for a few days.

I hit up Black Rock and Bailey after a couple of weeks break, but it was stressful as hell for me and I still made an ass of myself more or less, on both trips. No one was hurt, no equipment lost; I didn't swim, but still. Didn't come away thinking 'that was awesome/fun/let's do it again' like I normally would, but more or less 'glad that's over/we made it/no one was hurt/why did I have my worst lines ever?'.

I'm dialing it back a bit now and plan to have at least knee and shin pads before I paddle through blast-rock-hell again. I'm not one to swim normally anyway, but still. Also need to be SWR certified before I'm at least partially-responsible for anybody on Class IV+ again.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #7

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
First, if you are afraid of making an ass of yourself then A) Don't swim, B) get with a different crew that doesn't make you feel like an ass, C) Quit worrying about you ego like you are 16 yrs old.

Second, If going above class III makes you nervous about swimming it should, thats how you get hurt. The solution is A) again. You shouldn't be going above III if you plan on swimming anyways.

Third, Get you knee fixed. I have had both done and need to go back for more, who cares if you don't have a patella left if you are replacing anyways, Do it now while you have met deductible.

Fourth, Your fears are irrational. All fear is irrational. Do you fear driving your car? Or walking down a sidewalk? Far more likely to get hurt doing those. Once again injuries will be less likely if you refer to A)

If you truly love boating do whatever you can to get out there. This is coming from a guy who is typing one handed because I have literally lost my nerve to kayak (in my hand) and wants nothing more to be able to be on the river.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #8

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Kevin, put your weiner down and you would have two hands....
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #9

Boise, Idahoer
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Kevin, put your weiner down and you would have two hands....
HAHAHA!

I have fun in class 3.
D-Sieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
To the OP. If feels like you are making the classic mistake of relating your injury experiences to the likelihood of getting injured. The "fear" should be that every time you swim or go kayaking, you could get injured. That fact remains for all of us despite any past injuries. Many people never return to a sport like kayaking after the first injury. The realization that they are susceptible to injury comes crashing home. As far as making an ass of yourself, that's all in YOUR head. If that's something you're worried about then you're not focusing on your skills, you're focusing on what other's think of you. That's your own stigma.

You identified the things you need to do. Get in shape, work on your fundamentals, and paddle what's in your range of comfort for now. Many never get beyond class III so while it might suck for you, so be it. May it be a motivator to get in shape! As far as your knee goes, I have no idea what you need to do. I do know knee injuries suck and I hope you get it fixed so you can get back into the game!