Ladies Vertical Challenge Teams - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-18-2008   #1
mgk

Ladies Vertical Challenge Teams

There's going to be a new category for ladies' teams in the Vertical Challenge this year! Sounds like there will be good prizes for the top teams in this category, and more importantly, let's represent by creating as many teams as possible! If you want to be part of a team but can't rally a crew of female boaters, e-mail me and maybe I can help organize another team. Remember you don't necessarily have to paddle with your team.
EddyFlower Vertical Challenge

-Maria
[email protected]

mgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008   #2

Denver, Colorado
The VC sponsors have kicked down additional sic prizes just for the top lady competitors. As of now we pulled together the following loot:

- Go Pro Helmet Camera
- Kokatat Drytop
- NRS Throw Bag
- Smith Optic Sunglasses
- Keen Shoes
- WRSI Helmet

I'm thinkin if we rally at least 3 all ladies teams we'll create a Womens Only division, if not we'll create a Top Ladies Individual category. Regardless we'll style the top ladies who compete in the Vertical Challenge.

More details to follow...
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I got on a coed team before knowing all this! I guess I'll have to play with the boys this year...

So do the girls compete with out regard to class category?

Further thought - I know you threw out the competing on two teams idea, but I'd love to have a chance to play with the girls too! Reconsider? There'd be a small number of us doubing up. It's about the fun, so you could have a 'one prize per person' disclaimer, if someone doubles up, they pick between the prizes and EF can raffle the extra prize (and raise more money for FD).

Just a thought...
Laurie
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
This sounds awesome! I'll be sure to get an all female team together from the buena vista/salida area.
Old 03-18-2008   #5

Ladies ladies...

Laurie - all this chit chat about wanting to play with the girls too and doubling up.....

On a more serious note, I think that if it were to get more ladies involved in the event, then that might not be such a bad idea.....

And don't forget people, there's more to this event than just paddling and picking up prizes. You can help raise funds for First Descents by soliciting "sponsors" for your team and also you can sign up / renew for AW for only $10! Don't wait until your friends start calling you out for NOT supporting the efforts of American Whitewater. Sign up soon and take advantage of that amazing offer that is being made possible by AW & The Front Range Paddling Association.

M to the C
twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #6

Denver, Colorado
Hey Laurie - If enough ladies rally teams then we'll create a Females Only division that will allow class V, IV, III, II runs. Still undecided on the competing on multiple teams ...more to follow.
paulh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #7

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Laurie, If you prefer to play with the girls instead of boys you could just take your funk to another team. I'm fairly certain we could find some other funky suspects to join.
Old 03-19-2008   #8

303, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
WOW Laurie, Matt seems to be kicking you off the team...
maybe we (girls) should all rebel and make a girls team

hum...
tempting.

http://www.whitewaterhelmet.com/index2.asp
CUkayakGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008   #9

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Let me start off I like and approve of the goal of increasing interest in VC and Kayaking in general to everyone regardless of gender, race or sexual orientation. At the risk of sounding like a misogynist, which I have been accused of before by some of the present company. It always rubs me the wrong way when there are special categories for special subsets of the population that are really all playing on the same level. If you want to be on an all woman's team, I think that's great, but why do you have to have your own separate contest? Can't you play nice with everyone? What's next? Should I ask that there be a special contest just for white hetro sexual males between the age of 25 and 30 that are recovering catholics? Anyway, that's my opinion, flame away.

That being said I think Laurie has a reasonable compromise if you really want to play for both teams.

Big kudos to the VC team for putting on a great event.
Old 03-19-2008   #10

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
doubling up? pick a team. its about fundraising money for cancer patients to have the same fun we are having, so quit worrying about your prizes and start raising money.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote