Kayaking and motherhood. Are they compatible? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 05-09-2007   #1

Kayaking and motherhood. Are they compatible?

I am a new mom, and I'm wondering if I'll ever get to go out on the river with my husband again. Is there anyone out there who has found a solution to this problem?
I was thinking it would be nice to meet another kayaking couple with small children. We could meet at the river and take turns babysitting/kayaking. What do you think?

MommaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007   #2

Boulder, Colorado
look into rafting, I was started very young on trips like the san juan, or the upper colorado. I don't know how fun it'll be for you parents but I know it was fun for me as a little kid. just my 2 cents, congrates on parenthood.
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #3

Friends who like kids can also be handy to have around. I babysat my friends little girl for him while he ran down Bear Creek before I took my turn. She loved seeing him come to the take out in all his gear!!
WW Lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007   #4

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
My wife and i have taken turns babysitting. I ran black rock while she and our son drove along the road watching each rapid from the bank. Then we switched and she ran lower clear creek. Then at the bottom, it was a free for all and we playboated as we wanted....pretty good set up. This year, my son is 2 1/2 and we are planning a float on a duckie down the s. platte. We hope to do a good float section later in the year, but at least this will be a start and close to home. Let me know if you want to try to work something out. DNR -- Colorado Online Streamflows
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
There's a couple in the PPWC that alternate boating/babysitting among the two of them. If you'd like to be introduced, send me a PM. They're daughter is about 2.5 ish.
Old 05-21-2007   #6

I am a fairly new Mama (Lilli is 18 months) and an avid paddler. Last year and the start of this year we both got a ton of paddling in. Honestly, not as much together, because you've got to get more creative. As others have mentioned, we've done the I paddle, he babysits, and then switch, especially if there is something your friends are doing laps on. We've also drug along friends/babysitters, and these days lilli is up on the river with us most of the time, getting used to put in and take out life. I will admit that I do paddle more with others. In fact the girls love it because I paddle more with them, as I used to paddle primarily with my hubbie and the guys. But I think it is what you make of it. We hope to have little one in a boat as soon as possible, and I think the exposure to river life is so important and valuable. Look for other parents, friends to take along, playparks, etc. I guarantee the more you get on the river the better parents you'll be, because you'll be that much more grounded. PM if you want more info.

Cheers...and congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
I am a new mom, and I'm wondering if I'll ever get to go out on the river with my husband again. Is there anyone out there who has found a solution to this problem?
I was thinking it would be nice to meet another kayaking couple with small children. We could meet at the river and take turns babysitting/kayaking. What do you think?
JesseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #7

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
My wife is back on the water finally

I tried for a long time to get my wife back on the water. Now that that the kidlet is on the water himself, she's back in. She probably could have done so much earlier, but I think there was this fear factor in her not so much of paddling as it was a "what if something happens to me?" issue. Moms as rule tend to think of males as not so great at raising kids as they are. I don't want that to sound sexist, but my wife has always said to me that I could never do it all by myself (horseshit, was usually my answer).

Personally I think boating moms should get back out as soon as possible. A) the exercise is great, B) Getting a break from parenting is necessary. C) Adult time is theraputic.

So develop your babysitter network, and get out there.
Old 05-21-2007   #8

related... kayaking and pregnancy?

Hey MommaL,
Did you still boat while you were pregnant? I'm at 16 weeks and got out the past two weekends, figuring that so long as I kept to runs I was comfortable on and familiar with I would be ok. Water was a little high this weekend on the Ark, and I found myself upside down a few times in fractions, a run I don't think I have ever flipped on in the past! Felt a little more scared than usual. I figure it's one of those things where something drastic could possibly happen (swim leading to abdominal trauma?), but that if I keep it low key it should be ok. Any other current or previously pregnant paddlers have any thoughts on the topic?
-nicole
nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleg View Post
Hey MommaL,
Did you still boat while you were pregnant? I'm at 16 weeks and got out the past two weekends, figuring that so long as I kept to runs I was comfortable on and familiar with I would be ok. Water was a little high this weekend on the Ark, and I found myself upside down a few times in fractions, a run I don't think I have ever flipped on in the past! Felt a little more scared than usual. I figure it's one of those things where something drastic could possibly happen (swim leading to abdominal trauma?), but that if I keep it low key it should be ok. Any other current or previously pregnant paddlers have any thoughts on the topic?
-nicole
Hey Nicole!
I was pregnant last summer and boated until I was 8months...things just were really uncomfortable after that. I definately toned my style down. Boated mostly class II and Browns (a run i'm very comfortable and familiar with). Congrats on your new baby!
randie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #10

Proud Boating Mom

Hey MammaL! There are plenty of families getting on the river. It's a matter of networking, and a little more effort to make it through the day. But of coarse it's all worth it! And what better place for you baby to hang out?! My son is 7 months old and i was out on the river 5/7 days last week! Just like all other aspects of momhood, there's a bit more to do to get going, but you can definately be a mom and a boater at the same time! See you and your family on the river!
randie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking