Jefe Chico - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-26-2012   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Jefe Chico

Who has paddled or is paddled this? I tried a friends' out a few years ago and remember liking it alright, but it was only on a short stretch of water. I've only ever paddled my small burn (200 and although I like the edges, I would like to get the feel for something creekier.
I'm going to demo one this week and plan on getting in a few other boats that have my curiosity piqued. I would also like to get in the Shiva, Stomper and villian, but am mostly interested in thoughts on the Jefe Chico for now.
Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012   #2

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I paddle the chico beth and i love it. its kinda boring until you are in the edge of you comfort zone, then it is your best friend. I find that the hull is very forgiving, it boofs well and goes through holes nicely. i also like that it fits a smaller paddler so well, i have paddled other creek boats and i feel like i am swimming in the cock pits after being in my chico. down sides to the boat would be that its pretty slow. i def have to work to keep up when i am paddling with others. also it has no rales. it is textbook definition a full on displacement hull. coming from a burn you are going to miss your edges in the chico. it takes a different style of paddling to get it where you want it in the river. lots of upper body. but like i said i love mine. i keep saying that i am going to get a new boat but havent found one i like as much as my chico yet.

Heidi Jo
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Weren't you interested in the small burn? Maybe we should do a demo boat swap! When/if I sell my burn, I'm going to package it up with the f6, a skirt, dry top and an old paddle. I'll be a one stop shop for a new paddler!
I'm serious about trading for a few days. Your down in BV at CKS right?
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012   #4

Bugtussle, Kentucky
I paddled the Chico for 3 years, loved it. One Legged summed it up well, it is full on displacement hull and the lack of any edge was only an issue for me on really pushy ferrys and keeping it on line. I mostly creek boat in the southeast, so a lot of lower flow, steep stuff. I did hand paddle it down the Grand Canyon, ~240 miles, before hopping on a raft...only 1 flip, but If I did it again I'd have something with more edge. Not the best big water boat. Boofs and re-surfaces like a dream.
I bought a Stomper 80 back in January, I may never sit in the Chico again. I'm 5'5, 135 and the Stomper fits me as well as the Chico. Just added a bit more foam to the hips and under the seat.
bjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Thanks for the input. The stomper is more appealing size wise - I want to be able to pack for a self support if it, if only for an overnight. The chico would make that harder because of the size as well as the back band. The pivot point on the stomper for the seat back would make for ease of packing...although, it looks like the chico seat could be modified to make it more like the newer design.
I'm really just demoing the chico to see about the displacement hull. Its being sold for a smokin deal.
I'm thinking of adding the Mamba to the mix of boats to demo...thoughts on that one?
Old 06-27-2012   #6

Basalt, Colorado
ya beth i would love to get in to the small burn. im looking to get either a small burn or a small shiva and i havent gotten a chance to paddle the small burn yet. we should arange something in the next couple weeks. sounds like a great idea
one legged wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Heidi,
303 four four four four 713
When do you think we could meet up? I'm supposed to Demo a chico tomorrow but if we can connect in the next week or so I'll get something else - there doesn't seem to be a point to demoing it if I can paddle yours.
That's my cell, so shoot a text so I have your number and we can make a plan!
Old 06-27-2012   #8

student
My girlfriend has a small Burn that she is thinking of getting rid of that I am sure she would let you take out. It has a bit of a pig nose from a small beatdown but I am sure she would give you a great deal on it.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #9

Pagosa Springs, Colorado
paulk-

i might be interested in your girl friend's small burn. im looking to get a river runner. i would love to try it out.

Carrie
720-219-0285
green.zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Funny, I don't know why the winky face popped in there when I put the year of my burn, but mine is a two thousand eight - a more edgy model than the 2010.