Intergrity/morality - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2012   #1
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Intergrity/morality

I feel the buzzards are a very conscientious group of passionate people that enjoy their interests.

Reading about permit exchange and users vying for the one opportunity brought this up for me.

I was going to express my opinion but changed my mind because it sounded like preaching. Not my place....and after I thought about it I came to the conclusion that I do things against rules when I feel like it.

One thing I follow is that I do not allow compensation from my friends, or their friends, when I take them boating. Personally, I feel it is a detriment to the commercial groups that pay fees, insurance, and other related business expense to offer a taste of what we consider a wonderful experience to others that do not have the same commitment that we do. I feel, these groups do a lot to add to my world in the way of stewardship, care for the environment, support training that I am able to get, et al.

The rules that are in place to help commercials through limiting competition are something I personally do not mess with.

I would like to hear some other views...

True Integrity: what a person would do if they knew they would never get caught....

Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012   #2

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
my compensation when i take friends rafting is they get groover duty.... everyday

besides that i just enjoy having my friends on the river with me and would never want any type of financial compensation for it
Old 03-25-2012   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Cash - No

Beer, weed, lunch, gas money - sure.

All of the above - "Whaddya doin next week?"
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Beer, weed, gas money, integrity and morality are all synonymous to the slavetothestrapon. Need to get a gauge on how many cubic feet per second that spews out of his multiple orifices. At least we'd get a read on the water quality while he's on the river next week.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #5

Littleton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
Beer, weed, gas money, integrity and morality are all synonymous to the slavetothestrapon. Need to get a gauge on how many cubic feet per second that spews out of his multiple orifices. At least we'd get a read on the water quality while he's on the river next week.
My first interweb stalker.

I'm touched beyond words.

Best part is you're too dumb to realize that your post is as complimentary as it is derogatory.

Get a life, shit stain.
Old 03-25-2012   #6
Adventurer

Mesa, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
a lot of people dance the fence....some say that compensation for gear use is justified....wear and tear on equipment including PFD'

a point made has struck home for me as one of my annual groups work at a major liquor distributor here...perhaps I justify my own actions as a barter situation....wow, my head hurts...
Old 03-25-2012   #7

Littleton, Colorado
FWIW, I never broach the subject myself.

Good people always offer.
Old 03-25-2012   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
[QUOTE=slavetotheflyrod;266967]My first interweb stalker.

Best part is you're too dumb to realize that your post is as complimentary as it is derogatory.

Get a life, shit stain.[/

I just hope to god that you haven't harmed too many smaller animals or sport fish.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
scooby:

I agree with you and admire your position; It's awesome to hear of other people like my friends.

As a person who's been fortunate to have good friends with river gear in the last few years that have been generous enough take me with or loan me their personal gear for trips, I've always tried to pay it forward with...as Slave says, "Beer, Gas money or Food" and honest gratitude.

That said, now that I'm trying to build my own set of river gear and know the full value of this equipment for multi-day river trips, I would never demand that my non-equipped friends pay up for using my boat and equipment, but they can help pay for consumables. For example, we're planning a trip in June and we'll probably plan to split up fees such as gas, permits, food, TP, etc, among everyone in the float party. If someone wants to fish or rent an IK setup, that'll be their own payment option outside of the group fees.

I'm sure my friends who don't float are not aware of the costs associated with owning a boat, frame, oars, coolers, dry box/bags, etc. and I woudn't expect someone to compensate me for use of my gear, but if anyone offers to buy gas, food, etc because of the same position that I experienced when I didn't own gear, then I'm all in.

A form of compensation that is organized is that I have a share with a group of guys that own a drift boat. Between them and I, we trade 1:1 my softside and fishing setup for their hardside drifty. It works out pretty well since we all pretty much fish togeather, however any repairs are up to the owners of the craft. My setup works well for low water or rocky fisheries and their setup works good for deep water such as the N. Platte or the Bighorn.

-scott
scottcsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012   #10

Littleton, Colorado
[QUOTE=wildh2onriver;266983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetotheflyrod View Post
My first interweb stalker.

Get a life, shit stain.[/

I just hope to god that you haven't harmed too many smaller animals or sport fish.
Depends on your definitions of smaller and too many.

But don't despair, I only shoot the tasty ones and and they never feel a thing.

Remember that the next time you're walking out of Hole Foods with a couple of overpriced steaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0104.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	4460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0288.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	4461