How does Kayaking relate to your everyday life? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 08-11-2010   #1

Summit County, and Idaho
How does Kayaking relate to your everyday life?

Hello fellow river chicas,

I was reading through a fellow paddler’s blog the other day and she was touching on how we incorporate paddling traits into our everyday lives. She is absolutely right.

My biggest similarity on how I live my life that reflects in my kayaking skills is actually detrimental to my paddling.

I am last minute type of girl. No solid plan in sight. Live for the moment, when that one’s gone, look for the next one. Constantly changing my mind, going with plan B when plan A is right there and will do just fine.
So you can see that I am not looking down the river very far… I am setting up for the rapid in front of me with complete disregard for the rapid just downriver. Changing my mind from river right to river left when its too late, and so on and so on.

This behavior has caused me many unnecessary swims and is sometimes holds me back from being a great kayaker.

Anyone else have similarities either positive or negative between kayaking and everyday real life?

Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yin and yang...

Kayaking is actually the complement to my everyday life... conservative career choice, financial decisions (but for my gear habit), etc... there aren't very many CPA kayakers out there! The river is my escape. Watching the clock for the next departure now!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #3

glenwood springs, Colorado
So the same as the first poster ... in fact, it's uncanny. I drive everyone crazy kayaking bc i'm only looking at the rapid i'm currently on with absolutely NO thought of what's coming and I do live my life EXACTLY the same. It's all about the ride, the fun, the here and now. Never ever thought of the similarities!! ;0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I guess when I think about my approach to the river versus the sport in general, there are parallels. I do think about what is downstream. Perhaps too much. And that goes along with my everyday life behavior.

I know when I go back down the Grand this fall, Lava will be in my thoughts from Day 1! I sometimes let my anticipation get in the way of enjoying the moment. There is video from the Middle Fork last year when the new Tappan was changing daily. I was talking of my nerves as we left camp. Ended up being a straightforward move and a fun rapid, but stressed me out leading up to it.

The conservative approach can hold you back too! Kayaking is such a mental sport.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #5

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
What an interesting post!!! I thought about it as well and low and behold, I do the same on the river as in real life as well. I don't like surprises...so needless to say, I will always anitcipate the worst!! Names like "Widow maker" "Jaws" "Witches Cauldron" etc. make me anticipate the worst. Once I have done it I am pumped and want to do it over n' over again.
If I am ever lucky enough to discover my own river, I am going the name the drops "Fluffy Bunny Ears" "Puppy Dog Eyes" and things like that! LOL
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010   #6
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I look at the river in form of time. The water never stops flowing, it is unrelenting. Sure, we may eddy out, hide behind a rock, but the water never stops. It keeps going by you.
Have you ever been in a serious, life and death situation in the water? Have you had to save yourself, or one of your closest buddies, when time is of the essence? Man, it is all about time in the water when you've been under for two minutes in a foot entrapment, or you haven't seen your buddy after his boat comes out of that sticky hole.
It's all about time to me. The weekend gets over, and I am reminded not to "eddy out" too much in my day to day life, to stay with the current, look out for rocks and other obstructions in flow constantly. Maybe I shouldn't always take the easy line, or the blind drop. We all get 24 hours in a day, but we don't know how many 24's we have left.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #7

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Man that is deep.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010   #8

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I tend to use Put-in in lieu of trailhead or parking lot for sports such as hiking, mtnbiking and skiing. You know, "meet you at the putin, er.. I mean trail head of Three Sisters." Not much of a life reflection really.... just a reminder of how much we'd like to be at a put-in rather than a trailhead sometimes.
Old 09-09-2010   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by hojo View Post
I tend to use Put-in in lieu of trailhead or parking lot for sports such as hiking, mtnbiking and skiing. You know, "meet you at the putin, er.. I mean trail head of Three Sisters." Not much of a life reflection really.... just a reminder of how much we'd like to be at a put-in rather than a trailhead sometimes.
I even use put-in when referring to the place my carpool meets.

I boat much the same way I lead my life. I look toward the future with anxiety, but once I get to the crux, I seem to know exactly which decision to make- they don't always go smoothly, but my anxiety goes away regardless. Until the next big one.

I seem to always be looking a mile downstream on the river or off. I've adopted the philosophy for my life that seems to have worked well in a raft- Life is all about how you handle plan B.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #10

Summit County, and Idaho
Good stuff people!!!

"take me to the river" I am launching at cataract with you guys next week! Super excited to make that trip, it will be great to meet you too!
woo-hooo!!!!
Fallingup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking