Het From California - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2016   #1
 
California, USA, California
Paddling Since: New
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Het From California

I'm completely new to the world of white water. I've done some rafting trips/tours before when on my holidays and have found it pretty exhilarating but I've not yet taken it up as a proper hobby. I'm hoping that will change this year. I'm a huge fan of the outdoors and love trying new sports, the bigger the adrenaline rush, the better, so this seems like a perfect hobby to get into. Although I love outdoor sports and I'm a very competent swimmer, I've never really done any water based sports like surfing, skiing, that sort of thing. I've done some kayaking in the past and really enjoyed that, but never on demanding waters. I love watching people navigate the rapids with a kayak though and it does appeal to me as something I'd like to try. My partner is keen on getting involved too as he's much the same as me, enjoys sport and enjoys a rush. I suppose I was just wondering what other women would recommend as a staring point. Would it maybe be wise to start with dingy rafting before moving onto kayaking/canoeing? Guessing that way you can build-up a better understanding of the risks involved and a greater respect for the beast you are dealing with.

ripinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2016   #2
 
California, USA, California
Paddling Since: New
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripinitup View Post
I'm completely new to the world of white water. I've done some rafting trips/tours before when on my holidays and have found it pretty exhilarating but I've not yet taken it up as a proper hobby. I'm hoping that will change this year. I'm a huge fan of the outdoors and love trying new sports, the bigger the adrenaline rush, the better, so this seems like a perfect hobby to get into. Although I love outdoor sports and I'm a very competent swimmer, I've never really done any water based sports like surfing, skiing, that sort of thing. I've done some kayaking in the past and really enjoyed that, but never on demanding waters. I love watching people navigate the rapids with a kayak though and it does appeal to me as something I'd like to try. My partner is keen on getting involved too as he's much the same as me, enjoys sport and enjoys a rush. I suppose I was just wondering what other women would recommend as a staring point. Would it maybe be wise to start with dingy rafting before moving onto kayaking/canoeing? Guessing that way you can build-up a better understanding of the risks involved and a greater respect for the beast you are dealing with.
I was wondering, if we did want to buy all the equipment needed, what kind of cost that would come to in dollars roughly? There would obviously be the raft/kayak, paddles, safety helmets, wetsuits, footwear & life jackets, plus whatever else is recommended.
ripinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016   #3
LSB
Renaissance Redneck
 
LSB's Avatar
 
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,171
it's going to be cheaper to get into kayaking. watch the classifieds for used kayaks or look for a spring swap. you can probably find a couple of used kayaks and enough gear to get started for 4 or 5 hundred each. then find some friends that know enough to keep you safe while you're figuring it out. expect it to take a year or two. welcome to Whitewater you'll love it
__________________
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2016   #4
 
California, USA, California
Paddling Since: New
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripinitup View Post
I was wondering, if we did want to buy all the equipment needed, what kind of cost that would come to in dollars roughly? I've found a decent site with second-hand goods for sale. There would obviously be the raft/kayak, paddles, safety helmets, wetsuits, footwear & life jackets, plus whatever else is recommended.
I was definitely liking the idea of kayaking rather than rafting based on my previous experience. I'm currently working on finding some friends that might be interested, well my partners brother and his wife, so that's a work in progress, I think they are pretty keen. The pricing seems reasonable, I was hoping somewhere in the region of $1,000 for the two of us so that's not bad.
ripinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016   #5
 
California, USA, California
Paddling Since: New
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
it's going to be cheaper to get into kayaking. watch the classifieds for used kayaks or look for a spring swap. you can probably find a couple of used kayaks and enough gear to get started for 4 or 5 hundred each. then find some friends that know enough to keep you safe while you're figuring it out. expect it to take a year or two. welcome to Whitewater you'll love it
Thanks for all the advice and for welcoming us to the white water community, I am really excited about getting stuck in.
ripinitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #6
 
Denver, 80221
Paddling Since: 2011
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8
I have room on a Ruby Horsethief river permit. SUP'rs, Rafters, IK'rs. Large group or semi-beginners. It's a Class I-II section of the colorado river. It might be a nice opportunity for you to try out a couple of boats, see what you like, see what you need. Or get some use out of your new Kayak rigs if that's the direction you decide to go.
PM me if you are interested in joining this trip.

My experience - rafting is a $4k buy-in, to get the minimum gear needed (used).
jayme0546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
california

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
California... WW Lush Whitewater Kayaking 2 06-16-2004 12:24 AM
Downieville California... Kayakers paradise... thecraw Whitewater Kayaking 3 04-06-2004 04:48 PM
California Boating Info mwdenker Whitewater Kayaking 1 02-25-2004 09:54 PM
California River Guide jeffro Whitewater Kayaking 3 02-04-2004 06:28 PM
So. California Boating? kappinkool Whitewater Kayaking 3 12-02-2003 01:42 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.