Helmets Currently Suited to Small Heads - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 06-15-2010   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Helmets Currently Suited to Small Heads

I saw a thread a few years back related to helmets for small heads, but it seems like some of the recommended helmets aren't around anymore (Voz, Happy-2b, etc.). I have a Shred Ready Vixen and it gives me a brutal eye headache from a pressure point in the front because I have to tighten it down since it fits loose in the side. Maybe I have a weird oval shaped head, but I don't want to "make" a helmet fit by adding padding, gluing, shaving, praying to Buddha, whatever. So, if anyone has suggestions on helmets that are good for small heads to begin with I would really appreciate it!

WisegirlII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
My previous helmet was a SR Vixen and had the same problem. I ended up with a nice red circle in the middle of my forehead and a headache. I switched to the Small version of the WRSI and have been very happy with the helmet. Didn't even need the thickest foam with it (comes with three thicknesses to customize).

However, it is not compatable with the Face Protection System (currently only the M/L version). I was told that it would be available last year for the Small version and it was not. I was told it would be available this year, so far it is not. I really wanted the full face system and was willing to wait a few months to get it. I'm disappointed that it is still not available a year and a half later.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #3

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I love my WRSI (size S/M). Fits my small noggin just right.
TLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2010   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets the red circle of death from the Vixen. Does the WRSI offer any protection from sun in the eyes. i.e. a bill of some kind? -Alisha
Old 06-15-2010   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Checkout a GathSports Gedi

WisegirlII,

Here are two links for the GathSports Gedi Helmits. The first is GathSports homepage, they are out of Australia, and the second is a distributor in the USA. I bought the Gedi earlier this year and I absolutely love it. Not only does it feel as if I have great protection, but the fit and comfort is awesome. I have not seen many around, but I expect them to become more popular as the word gets out.

GATHSPORTS - MARGARET RIVER, WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Murrays Sports: GATH GEDI CONVERTIBLE HELMET

Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Lenny.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #6
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
My wife tried a wrsi, even talked to the company & got the XS outfittng & it was still too small (2 seasons ago btw) The ony one we could fit to her without way too much padding in between was the SR. She's very happy with hers & the full face they make also was easy to outfit for her.
Old 06-15-2010   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisegirlII View Post
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who gets the red circle of death from the Vixen.
Never put it in those words, but accurate!

I'm sure you could retro fit a brim, but nothing from the manufacturer.

Kaleb - Was it the small shell Abby tried? Did you mean to say it was still too big? The standard shell with the thickest padding was too big for me, but I'm in the #2 of 3 thicknesses padding on the small shell and have a very small noggin'. I need to re-investigate a full-face as I called WRSI after posting and they are 'hoping' to have the face guard for the small out next season. Will not be happening in 2010.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Hey Lenny - Do you like these helmets in general or do you have specific experience with them relating to the fit for small heads? I have to admit I kind of like the sun visor... very "C.H.I.P.S." Ultimately it's the fit that matters, but hey, if I look like a river version of Poncho...

Which company is "SR"?
Old 06-15-2010   #9

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
WisegirlII,

To answer your question, no, not specifically with smaller heads. I have always had some issues with getting a good, comfortable fit. I found the Gath Gedi to be super comfortable and extremely simple to fit. I also purchased with my helmit the Comfot Strips, see link below. I actually ended up not using the strips and found the fit to be alomost perfect out of the box. I hope this helps.

Murrays Sports: GATH COMFORT STRIP

On the C.H.I.P.S. note, nice comparison and actually right on the mark. Wasn't Poncho's partner Jon? Bringing back memories. I knew there was something special about the look of my new lid...now I know and can wear it proudly.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #10

Jackson, Wyoming
Well, if I can't find a helmet that's been tried and tested on small heads I'll definitely consider the water C.H.I.P.

What I'd really like, is for someone to post a link to a cool helmet in some interesting color other than black or silver, with a bill, brim, sun shield, whatever that isn't $300 and fits small heads comfortably. We go to the moon, we can email our local sheriff and even drink dehydrated wine on extended outdoor trips, but why oh why isn't there a functional, hot looking helmet that fits small heads?!

When Jesus is done crossing the river and piggy backing small girls to the other side do you think he'll create a bad ass, sexy, helmet for small heads? Someone ask him (he's not speaking to me... )