Female Raft Guides - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-26-2006   #1

Taos, New Mexico
Female Raft Guides

A heads up to all ladies out there who love boating and the outdoors. You have a BIG ADVANTAGE in getting hired by rafting companies. If you like the water, people, outdoor lifestyle and easy access for kayaking then look into working for a raft company on the Arkansas this coming summer. They can't say it, but all the raft companies are looking to hire ladies. If you already kayak then you will have a good headstart in terms of training and gear. P.M. me for the straight scoop on what to expect in terms of training, pay and work. (Don't believe everything the owners and managers tell you about how much you will work)

anchahiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
I'll hire (and train) ya - Durango CO!!!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #3

why do you say they are looking to hire females, what companies are you talking about, and where are you getting this information or are you just talking on a hunch?
YakaRaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006   #4

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
check out lakotariver.com we also hire about ten every year, male or female. but everyone knows the ladies get better tips, sorry sex sells!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #5

anyone know of any companies looking to hire experienced female raft guides abroad?..... anchahiker, still interested in where you get your info....
Old 12-27-2006   #6

That doesn't sound like any rafting company ive ever been apart of. Everywhere I have seen women have to work twice as hard to work half as much. Hopefully some companies are different.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianK
That doesn't sound like any rafting company ive ever been apart of. Everywhere I have seen women have to work twice as hard to work half as much. Hopefully some companies are different.
I agree 100%, thats why I was wondering about the first post. In my experience, most male raft guides do not take females seriously and most rafting companies would rather have girls working in the office smiling to greet the tourons than guiding a raft. It is a very male - dominated industry. Just guessing, but I'd estimate only about 10-15% women
Old 12-27-2006   #8

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Liquidchaos is right, we had some decent looking hunnies that pulled some serious cash. I know, because a regular day for them was like my best day ever!

I just got done with my first private lesson assignment as a ski instructor! Hooray tips!
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Maybe all you needed to add to the first post is that females who can actually guide rafts and do it as well as anyone else at the company (man or woman) will work everyday. That has been my experience, it's a combo of people skills (confidence) and river skills. Smarter not harder, ladies.
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007   #10

I work for a company in the Ark valley and have for going on four years now. It is true that companies down there are always looking to hire female guides (except one. . . . . ). Most of the hiring is done by management and headboatmen which are 99% male. The thing is that women rarely stay longer than a year. I hate to say it as a female boater, but a lot of women make poor raft guides. If you are a kayaker you definitely have a head start knowing how to read water, etc. As was said earlier as a girl you have to work twice as hard to get respect (the right kind) and are constantly having to prove yourself. But for you ladies who kayak and want to spend a summer guiding, it is a lot of fun, just be prepared for a lot of sexist men (and custies) and a lot of hard work.
waterlily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rafting