Female guide wanted for a family trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-25-2011   #1

Toronto, Canada
Paddling Since: 20
Female guide wanted for a family trip

Hello,

I am a dad that would like to take his 9.5 year old daughter and 7.5 year old son on a memorable rafting trip. I am thinking Colorado but am open to Idaho.

So why am I posting here....
Well, I would like to possibly deal direct with a guide with all the gear as apposed to going through an outfitter (please don't flame me).

I am an avid sea-kayaker and canoeist.
My kids are used to camping and attend canoe focussed summer camp in Northern Ontario.

I am a youthful 47 year old divorced dad (not my choice) that does everything with his kids.

I would like a female guide as I know my daughter would love that.
My daughter seems to really connect with all the female instructors she has had for skiing, canoeing, riding etc.
My daughter also seems to be developing a real interest in paddling so a great female guide would be a fantastic influence.

I would like a trip around 5 days but am open-minded to other durations.

The window for when we can do this is Aug 22- 30th.

I would like the guide to do most of the camp tasks with some assistance from us.

I know that time is moving very quickly with my children and I just want to make sure I have a deeply meaningful trip with them before they think dad is not cool and don't want to travel with me anymore. Did I mention how much I love my kids !

Both my kids are really great companions and have adventure travelled since birth. I am not kidding when I say they are fun, cool, responsible, not shy, and entertaining.

Anyway, lets open up the discussions.

If I have done anything wrong by posting this I greatly apologize.

Greg Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Greg your family sounds great, and I hope you find the trip/guide you are looking for. Without any flaming, be advised that what you seek, is not entirely above board. I believe no matter where you'd be going, permit or not, hiring an unlicensed guide is illegal.

If you really need your trip catered to that level, it is probably best to just stick with a real outfitter.

For that time period, the Main Salmon in ID, would be a good choice.

Depending on your comfort level, you could rent gear and find a group to join, or just do it commercially. I don't know about guides up there, but I bet you could find one that would run it with just your family, or maybe have you join a small group. Your kids could also spend time in and out of inflatable kayaks pretty safely.

If you win a permit in the lottery, you could easily find similarly minded others to join you and help outfit it.

Welcome to the Buzz, and good luck finding what you seek.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #3

Toronto, Canada
Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for the reply and the advice, I appreciate it !

Yes, I would like a licensed guide.

I was thinking there might be a guide that is not guiding full time that might want to take it on.

Perhaps in the end we will end up with a local outfitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011   #4

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ditto on it being illegal. But you could find someone to guide your trip without compensation with little trouble. Also lots of raft companies will allow you to request a guide...or the gender of your guide if that option appeals to you.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #5

dillon, Colorado
Guides typically don't have their own permits to commercially run rivers...they're pricey...so finding a "licensed" guide really isn't possible in the manner you are speaking of. Call a couple outfitters and get a better idea of what you are dealing with so you don't get yourself in trouble Hope it goes well.
Old 11-25-2011   #6

Toronto, Canada
Ahhhh....I understand.

Ok, any suggestions of locally owned small outfitters for Main Salmon in ID?
Old 11-25-2011   #7

dillon, Colorado
I just know the guys around the Arkansas...WAO, RGR, and AVA are great companies with good safety records, some awesome women guides, and are family oriented. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-25-2011   #8

Toronto, Canada
Great, will have a look at those.
Old 11-25-2011   #9

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
For a five day trip, you should add Utah to your area of interest. In August I would reccomend running the Green River through Ladore Canyon, or The Yampa if it is still running.

Ask your outfitter lots of questions, like how many people go on ther trips and who their guides are. Some outfitters tend to embellish with their marketing. I would recomend Sheri Griffith Expeditions out of Moab or Adventure Bound in Grand Juction. The folks who just bought Dinosaur Expiditons in Vernal are great people too.

Cataract Canyon and Desolaation Canyon would be good trips for your time frame too, but it could be oppressivly hot down there in August.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011   #10
BCJ

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I would call Blackadar Boating, in Salmon, Idaho, and ask for info about local companies. It is close to the Main Salmon launch. Probably any of the companies licensed to run that section would be willing to do the semi-private trip you're looking for. I would add, though, that I guided commercially for 6 years and would NEVER agree to run a trip like you're asking for, without a license and permit. Check in Riggins, Idaho too, for local companies. There are some good outfitters up there.
BCJ is online now   Reply With Quote