Boating with Littles - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-20-2015   #11

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
For those times when nothing seems to work .

sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015   #12

Teacher
Great ideas above somethings I did not see.

Put snacks where you can get to them with out having to ask someone to get up.

One of the best saves ever - Sand in an upside down ammo can lid on the raft made it through rainbow park in record time.

Poco Pad water Slides off the raft, off of rocks, down the beach. Paco pads for floating on the river.

Good life vests. The extrasport volksvest toddler has a wide neck so they do not get chin rash. The Astral Otter lasts for ever once they reach 50 lbs.

Rig the groover so that you can use it while you float.
Old 03-20-2015   #13

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Bring an extra sleeping bag for the kids just in case... They may be potty trained at home but drinking all of the extra fluids at the end of the day makes it hard for the bladder to make it through the night.
Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2015   #14

Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
Bring an extra sleeping bag for the kids just in case... They may be potty trained at home but drinking all of the extra fluids at the end of the day makes it hard for the bladder to make it through the night.
Yes - I second that. Our boy had not had an accident for years, and then it happened on the river, probably for exactly the reason mentioned. We were surprised (and unprepared)! Great suggestion Doubledown.
wildsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015   #15

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Take extra adults to give you a break... Really helps to have an aunt or uncle around, maybe someone already said this...And the extra age matched kids work well too. Take time to stop and play in mud and smell stuff, and watch ants. Etc. good luck!!!

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #16

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks...and keep 'em comin'!

Thanks everyone! These are all great ideas.
jacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #17
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Aquaphore ought to be in the first aid kit anyway, but it is excellent for tender skin burned to a crisp by the sun and chaffed by the wind.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015   #18

Gyspum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
You don't need to really bring an extra sleeping bag just get a pad that they can sleep on in the sleeping bag so if they have an accident it doesn't mess the sleeping bag an the pad can be washed out in the morning an hung to dry for the next night.

My kids love to have Pringles on the river an they don't get smashed an when they are done they like to use them in the sand.

We have done a lot of camping an a lot of rafting but never together, this summer will be our first for both together. We are starting with short over nights then in August we are finishing up the trips with Desolation Canyon.

I would welcome advise as well but my boys are 8 n 13

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
crjml5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015   #19

sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I have twin three year olds and they're learning to potty train. Their potty chair by the tent was a life saver. A square bucket and lid for diapers. Nuts and fruit chews handy.
joecoolives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018   #20

A blow up pools for bathing at night or playing while you get dinner. Little kettle water and a little river water and they are ready for bed early.
DragonflyWW is offline   Reply With Quote