Boat Size - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-23-2009   #1

the Springs, Colorado
Boat Size

Looking for opinions Ė Iím a second year beginner (didnít do much last season) and Iím wondering about boat size. Lots of the beginners I see start with big boats, like the Jackson Hero. I have a Jackson Fun. Iím told the difference is that with the Fun, Iíll learn better boat control and have more maneuverability. However, with the larger boats Ė Iíll be more stable and have fewer swimsÖ.

What are the pros/cons for beginners with boat size?

1srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I've said it before, I just don't remember where. I think if you're more aggressive, have strong aspirations for advancing in this sport and, less likely get freaked out over a swim or a jab from a rock, then the "Jackson Fun" aka the river running/playboat is the way to start out. If you just want to spend some time with friends, be out on the river, are worried about spending time upside down, and might throw in the towel over a scary experience, then go with the big volume river runner boat.

The advantages/disadvantages of the experience is what you said. Playboat should offer a quicker learning curve as you'll be forced to react more to the river. The bigger volume river runner will be more forgiving - kind of like having training wheels.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I started out learning in a playboat, and it was a little rough the first two seasons at high water, but it helped me become a better boater. I eventually got a bigger boat for high water and more difficult runs, but I am glad I learned to run the river in a playboat (LL Vision56). The Fun is a great boat to learn in, just work on your roll more, that way you don't worry so much about a swim
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009   #4

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
be a hero

Sheryl,

I saw your post on the home page and wanted to respond. No doubt the Fun series are really great boats. Some of the finest ever made. That said, so is the Hero series. And, with an advantage. The Hero series (probably the Little Hero or Sidekick for many women) is the Fun hull with more stability. The boat is a definite contender for the title of SUV of kayaks. It is Fun. It carves and shreds waves and eddy turns just like the Fun/ I truly believe it is a boat that will easily delight a boater from beginning to class V accomplishment. Maybe the only boat you will ever need to own. Let's face it, unless you are going to hang out at the whitewater parks or only boat early and late slow-water seasons, you will end up being in fast, pushy, challenging, and often continous whitewater rapids that can dish out consequences for lots of time upside down or swimming. The Heros reduce that potential by being more, and more evenly, bouyant and with taller and flared sidewalls. Except for learning tricks, the Heros will likely help you develope and preserve an enjoyable appreciation for what kayaking is really all about in my opinion, and that is river running. With the Fun hull you will still find plenty of playful skill development and enjoyment along the way. Again, the Fun is a super great boat that "is a lot of fun" ... unless you find yourself where it is not enough stability for your ability. That is where the Heros are better.

Hope that helps you. Cheers!
Old 02-23-2009   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Send a message via MSN to Becky J
Personally, I wish I had started out with a smaller boat. The first boat I ever owned was a RPM, the easiest boat to roll in my opinion. After months I would say, I was ready for an upgrade. I got a Wavesport EZG (River runner/somewhat playboat) and was able to learn from that. After less than a season I decided I wanted something more. I got a Kingpin and loved it. Learning with that boat really helped me with boat control and understanding edges. I’m no “playboater” but I will say that I have been able to develop an extremely solid roll and brace from paddling “bigger” water in a smaller boat. I’m getting in to harder creeking now, but I’m glad I got into the smaller boat first.

I’ve never paddled the Fun series, but from what I’ve heard it’s an awesome boat, and a great one to progress in. I’m pretty new to the sport as well with a little less 3 seasons under my belt, but I’ve learned that if you want to step it up you can’t just play it safe. Swimming, as much as it sucks, teaches you something each time. Why not learn in a less stable boat? Won’t that make you a more solid boater in the long run?
Becky J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009   #6

the Springs, Colorado
Thanks for the opinions. I rolled a friend's Hero in the pool the other night, and it seemed easier to roll than my Fun. Hmmm ~ I guess Iím holding what Iíve got and I will just see how it goes. Maybe so many started out with big boats last year because of the high water.

- thanks for the input.
Old 02-24-2009   #7

the Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky J View Post
Iíve learned that if you want to step it up you canít just play it safe. Swimming, as much as it sucks, teaches you something each time. Why not learn in a less stable boat? Wonít that make you a more solid boater in the long run?

Thanks Becky - you really gave me some inspiration! Now, if I can just carry that in the river - it'll all be good!
Old 02-24-2009   #8

the Springs, Colorado
[quote=Ken Vanatta;129473]No doubt the Fun series are really great boats. Some of the finest ever made. That said, so is the Hero series. And, with an advantage. The Hero series (probably the Little Hero or Sidekick for many women) is the Fun hull with more stability. The boat is a definite contender for the title of SUV of kayaks. It is Fun. It carves and shreds waves and eddy turns just like the Fun/ I truly believe it is a boat that will easily delight a boater from beginning to class V accomplishment. Maybe the only boat you will ever need to own.

the Heros will likely help you develope and preserve an enjoyable appreciation for what kayaking is really all about in my opinion, and that is river running. With the Fun hull you will still find plenty of playful skill development and enjoyment along the way. Again, the Fun is a super great boat that "is a lot of fun" ... unless you find yourself where it is not enough stability for your ability. That is where the Heros are better. quote]

Great input - thank you Ken. What you say makes a lot of sense. This is why I'm so on the line in which way to go. I want the enjoyable experience (staying right side up sounds good to me ) - but I want the agility of the smaller boat. This makes it sound like I can have it both ways - lots to think about. I have no aspirationsof getting into class 5 - I'm also not interested (at this point) in getting into play boating...but if I can get over this learning curve I may change my mind.

What do you think of something in-between - like a liquid logic or ??? I'm not sure what else is in the middle there.
Old 02-24-2009   #9

the Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
I think if you're more aggressive, have strong aspirations for advancing in this sport and, less likely get freaked out over a swim or a jab from a rock, then the "Jackson Fun" aka the river running/playboat is the way to start out. If you just want to spend some time with friends, be out on the river, are worried about spending time upside down, and might throw in the towel over a scary experience, then go with the big volume river runner boat.

To this point, I have not been aggressive and I have thrown over (what was to me) a scary experiance (that's why I didn't do much last season)...but I continue to come at it - I'm determined to learn. I've spent a lot of time in the pool over the winter - developed a somewhat reliable roll, still working on the brace... So I want to come out this season being assertive (I'll have to work on that aggressiveness) and really hammer my skills. Lots to think about. Thanks for your input. Nice to know what someone thats "been there and done that" thinks.
Old 02-24-2009   #10

the Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I started out learning in a playboat, and it was a little rough the first two seasons at high water, but it helped me become a better boater.

The Fun is a great boat to learn in, just work on your roll more, that way you don't worry so much about a swim

I think this is where I'm at ... I just hope I can survive the learning curve (two seasons is a long time to hang with it). I have worked my pool roll where I'm fairly confident in it, but I've not tried it on moving water yet...so we'll see. Thanks for your input.