Best Big Water PFD for the Large Busted? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Betty Buzz

Old 04-05-2017   #1

Edgewood..., Not New...Not Mexico
Paddling Since: 0930
Best Big Water PFD for the Large Busted?

Hi, please pardon me in advance as this may come across as odd - having a man ask a group of women about PFD's for large busted women, but I am asking on behalf of my better half, who is having a hard time finding THE perfect PFD for bigger water trips but that is still comfy for her to wear days on end and having a ~48" chest. I am looking for something that has more than 20# of flotation and has the option of adding leg straps.

She currently wears the Stohlquist Cruiser with something called "wrapture" technology that is apparently a better fit than unisex PFDs as it has some room built in the chest area for the girls without mashing or causing a poor fit; she likes the way it fits her and she's put a couple hundred miles on it; however, this PFD only has about 16# of flotation and seems unsuitable for a big water swim. We have some big water trips planned for this year and I need to find something better and more suited for her in these conditions.

She has tried on the NRS Big Water V which is unisex fit and that doesn't fit well. We have also tried on the Extrasport Swiftwater Ranger which is what I wear for the big stuff but it doesnt fit her well either, and without being at a well rounded whitewater rafting shop that carries a variety of PFDs - its difficult to try these on before buying and we are in this terrible cycle of ordering and returning without any luck.

Anyone have any suggestions for fitting her with a better PFD that is designed specifically for women, similar to the Stohlquist previously mentioned but with greater flotation? She is approx. 5' 5" 160# and 48" bust.

Thank you in advance for your help with this delicate situation

Cheers~~

Livenswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017   #2

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
The only PFD I've found that works for me is the Kokatat MsFit. I wear the large, and it's still a bit tight in the bust, but I had to go with that in order for it to tighten enough around the rib cage. I now own 3 of them.
Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017   #3

Thank you for the input. I took a look at one online and it too has just 16# of floatation. It's too bad there are not more options available in the 20# range. Have you ever swam any serious rapids with your MsFit? Curious. Only 16#s seems like it could allow a for flush drowning but that situation could be had with any I reckon. Her Stohlquist Cruiser with wrapture design also has just 16#.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017   #4
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
We are going to need to see some pictures in order to be of any help...
Old 04-06-2017   #5

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
I got my first MsFit for a Grand trip in '04, but managed to stay in the boat the whole time, so swam nothing major in it. Same for the boating I do locally. It floats me fine inn smooth water, but I haven't tested it in more aerated stuff. Sorry.
Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017   #6

Thanks staying in the boat is a good thing It's amazing that the industry has so little to offer. Seems like the only vests out there with comfortable fitting features are not necessarily suited for much more than flatwater paddling. 16#s of floatation seems dangerous for whitewater. Thanks again for your help
Old 04-10-2017   #7

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Tried a lot of them in 2014. Ended up buying a replica of what I had for 20 years the Kokatat MS Fit hands down the best choice out there for the big chest. The kokatat guide is the same vest built with rescue features
skiergirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Renee at Cascade RG was doing some testing of pfds for gals and their girls, I sent her a message so hopefully she will chime in. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2017   #9
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Livenswell... I will chime in tomorrow when I have all the floatations for the jackets at my fingertips. I have the same challenge and have a lot of big water running as well as PFD testing. I will be back tomorrow to share my experiences and PFD's. Kindly ~Renee

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-12-2017   #10

Hey alright! We look forward to your ideas and hearing about your experience. Thanks for chiming in!