Some feedback - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-16-2018   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Some feedback

Is it appropriate that MtnBuzz runs ads for assault rifles in the immediate aftermath of another school mass shooting?Don't think so !! My two cents....Does the site(any site) have the right to refuse advertising space for a legal product that is of dubious ethiicallity ?

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
There are a number of ad positions that are run by AdChoices and MB doesn't have any control over. For a list of MB sponsors, click on the "Partners" link above, or just click HERE.

Thanks,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018   #3

Denver, Colorado
Thanks Andy...fair enough ...the Mosberg ad had a gun that
looked very similar to the AR15 that has been used in several of the school incidents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2018   #4

Craig, Colorado
Depends...

I believe that AdChoices bases the advertising they route to your download of the MB page on your browsing history. I don't see guns of any kind being advertised on my MP page. I had to laugh at someone a while back wondering and complaining about seeing ads for "Depends" undergarments...
Fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018   #5

Anytown, USA
Ad placement is all done by software bots these days. No way a human could customize each user's ads based on their location, suspected age, search history, etc.

All it would take to get those depends ads would be for me to look up time shares in Florida, and then the bot would assume I'm looking to retire in my golden years

Kevin
Tech Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018   #6

Denver, Colorado
The gun as was on there a couple days ago.I don't see how my search history would in anyway be construed as gun advocacy or even the slightest interest in guns.If your theory held true i would be getting stuff about travel,kayaking,politics,and the Nuggets.
Old 02-16-2018   #7

Denver, Colorado
I was just on the "western snowpack" thread ,the gun ad was
there again followed by a knife ad.For a second I thought "what the he'll have i looked at that makes them think I am some redneck or Nazi gun nut?" The next ad was for the " Butterfly Pavillion" about as far from violence as it gets.I think they are random and coincidental.Yes ,I know they taylor some advertising to likely\potential customers based on search history,but this simply does not correlate.
Old 02-17-2018   #8

Arnold, California
I've never had a gun ad show up on the buzz. But I'm from California so maybe they ban the ads since they've tried to ban everything else. FWIW I've never had a butterfly add either.
Old 02-17-2018   #9
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I went on MB with a browser I don't normally use (Safari). I had opened a link to a thread I had subscribed to, so I wasn't logged in. I noticed that on one of my own posts on the thread "pfd's, which ones to buy," many words were converted to hyperlinks that pointed to an online shop that sold firearms and related items. The word "can" linked to a magazine. The words "life support" linked to a bipod. Very odd. When I used the browser I normally use and logged in, the links weren't there.

I just tried visiting the post with Chrome, not logged in. Most of the hyplerlinks weren't there, but the word "gear" has a hyperlink to that company. I'm not visiting it to find out what it is. When I hover the mouse over it, I see a message, "Link added by VigLink."

I had noticed this kind of link on words in posts on MB. Being curious what the links were, I tried one or two. They all pointed to firearms and supplies. I assumed that the poster was a firearm aficionado and had put the links in themselves. Um... maybe not.

These were not advertising on the site, but alteration of others' posts. Is this something that MB allows? Very odd indeed. Only happens when NOT logged in.
Will Amette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018   #10

Denver, Colorado
Maybe they thought I was a redneck because the word 'western' was used? ...doh ! said it again...If I say Country and Western will i get slink to Klan sites...we'll see