Newb with a question on volume and paddler weight - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Mountain Buzz Community > Support & Feedback

Old 06-22-2018   #1

Monongahela, 15063
Newb with a question on volume and paddler weight

Recently got into whitewater kayaking and have done a few interweb searches on this topic and found nothing and the only previous experience is with rec. Kayaks.
I recently bought LL freeride 67 used (it was practically new) and looking at the specs the paddler top weight is 260 lbs, (6'3 ,235 lbs) .
Now I'm looking for more of a river runner and have found a few braaap 69's used for a good price but am confused by the fact that the paddler weight for the boat is 220 lbs but has more volume than the freeride.
So short story long is this only a suggested weight range, personal preference, or will I be doing stem squirts all the way down the yough, any help would be great.

Hendu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2018   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think manufacturing volume measurements are pretty subjective, maybe they have gotten better. It is more about how the volume is distributed by the boat design. Obviously, two totally different designs between the free ride and braap. You would be very much at the higher end of the weight range assuming you fit, and the boat may float you fine. So demo is the best answer, but isnít the point of those boats to squirt all the way down?😬

Iíve got a few lbs on you and want to sit in a mullet, but harder to find out west. Maybe the will make a large home slice! This post got put up in support and feedback so is kinda hidden, just a FYI as it might not get much visibility.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018   #3

Monongahela, 15063
True about the squirting haha, and the more I think about I could see how the hull shape and displacement would effect the way the boat sits trim in the water, just seeing the two side by side it looks as though there would still be more volume in the back of the braaap, it looks a little thinner as well, that may be deceiving though, . I just see a lot of nice used boats out this way in PA but they're all usually smaller volume(hard to find used boats for big guys) , and I always seem to miss out on the demo days for some reason.
As for the post itself this is the first forum I've ever been on and I'm not very computer savvy to begin with, ill have to learn how to navigate the site a little better, thanks for the input though.
Hendu13 is offline   Reply With Quote