You're just not that free - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-22-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
You're just not that free

You are free... until you "step out of line" and exercise your 1st Amendment right to call out injustice, theft and corruption.

My Arrest at Occupy Wall Street

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012   #2

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
How "free" are any of us?
Most of American workers are working class wage slaves that fall in line, pay our bills and make other people more money than we earn by working for them every day. People who are "free" in another aspect and don't conform to this are labeled bums, hippies losers etc. America land of the wage slave home of the brave. A materialistic culture has risen where wanting more and working for more while paying for the mortgage car, water, lights, food you don't where it came from grown with poison and wasting a ton of water for corn, c card bills list goes on etc... while enjoying our "freedom" to vote for the corporations mitt likes or the ones obama doesn't like.
Old 09-23-2012   #3

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I agree. I'd rather be a hippie loser than a slave to the shytstem. I got tired of doing all the work, while someone else makes all the money. Now I work for myself. No mortgage, I rent. No car payment, no cc payment. I don't shop at walmart or any of the other corporate empires. If I can't pay cash, I don't need it. Life is much more enjoyable once you get over those materialistic habits.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I never felt that free in the first place. Police harassment isnt that new to me.
Old 09-23-2012   #5

Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
My first experience with police harassment was at 15.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #6
don't bogart that

Frosted Flakes N of Baytuckey, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Keep up the good work Marko

We need better marketing techniques. Imagine, a super bowl add that would truly blow some minds. A beautiful woman in a very small bikini reading the 14th amendment, maybe touching her thigh with the constitution just to keep the point?
rpludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012   #7
gh

pnw, Colorado
They wouldnt run it.
Old 09-24-2012   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I feel pretty free living up in BV. No police harassment, no real corporate influence....granted, we have gapers out the ass 3/4 of the year, but I really feel free to do and say what ever I want up here. Obviously tax laws and such are the same, but honestly the economy is doing pretty good in the Arkansas Valley and I don't feel like anyone is infringing on my rights. Perhaps if your feeling overly oppressed you should just reconsider your priorities and what makes you feel you need to live in the city...
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I feel pretty free living up in BV. No police harassment, no real corporate influence....granted, we have gapers out the ass 3/4 of the year, but I really feel free to do and say what ever I want up here. Obviously tax laws and such are the same, but honestly the economy is doing pretty good in the Arkansas Valley and I don't feel like anyone is infringing on my rights. Perhaps if your feeling overly oppressed you should just reconsider your priorities and what makes you feel you need to live in the city...
Hi Logan,
I'm really happy that you feel so free up there in BV. I'm being sincere. I get it - more than you might know. Christ, I lived up in the mtns for over a decade. The freest I ever felt were the days I lived in my van, down by the river, in the Ark valley. Those were the days when I didn't give a flying fuck about anything other than what river to run, what mountain to hike, and what mountain to shred down in the winter. It was a wonderfully selfish lifestyle.

I truly miss it in many many ways. Some days I wish more than anything that I could just go back to the days where I was just happy enough selling kayak gear for $10 an hour, or banging nails for $14 an hour, or bartending for a little more than that, and then going on extended river trips to West Virginia, Oregon, Utah, or wherever. I was blissfully unaware of all the injustices, nor would I even give more than two minutes notice of it if I did hear about it... because I had attained my own private little selfish mountain lifestyle. Those days are no more.

Because for some reason, my own reasons, I woke up to something beyond myself; something that pulled me towards another life... and when I resisted and tried to persist "living free" up in the mountains I became more unhappy. I somehow began to care that my fellow Americans who joined the military were dying to ensure that the vital resources were kept flowing into the empire so that I could live my own little private selfish mountain lifestyle. I somehow began to care that the little federal tax dollars that I did pay were contributing to the bloody slaughter of innocent men, women, and children overseas so I could cheaply drive my car to the river and enjoy my petroleum made boat; or that my tax dollars were being used to bail out financial criminals who literally have stolen pensions and homes from good hard-working Americans. For some reason it really began to bother me that public school funds (that includes the BV public schools), social security, medicare, environmental funds and plenty of other social welfare functions are drying up to fund a militarist empire that has slaughtered easily a half a million or more people in the last decade while jacking the resources under their land. For some reason it really bothers me that banker criminals and war criminals walk away with billions in profits, while bankrupting this country, while my friends lose their homes and pensions, or my friends who teach our children are the ones who have to take paycuts to fund the crimes of war profiteers and bankers. And for some reason it really bothers me that this supposed democracy is a fucking sham, and that the government is used to protect criminals from justice. For some reason it really bothers me that sociopaths, who are worth billions, are unabatedly destroying the very thing that all of us depend on for life - earth - to make a profit. For some reason it really bothers me that unaccountable power has completely corrupted the institutions that were designed to protect us from unaccountable power, and shit all over the rule of law - all things that helped you and others gain and protect our little private worlds.

I sure do wish I could go back to burying my head in the BV river rock and pretend that all these horrible crimes and injustices aren't happening... but for some fucking reason I woke up to the greater reality that all of humanity, non-human species, and this earth are all connected in more ways than one could imagine. And I want to do something to help restore justice! I want to help protect all of the things that are so preciously connected, and yet so viciously attacked by a small group of oligarchs. I want to help create a better world for my possible future children, other's children, and their children's children because I know without a doubt that they WILL NOT have that if SOMEBODY doesn't stand up to these fucking criminals and sociopaths.

But hey... that's just me. And, again, I really am happy that you are able to so easily look past these types of massive injustices and live so blissfully unaware and free up there in BV. I get it, more than you can image cuz I lived it, and loved it. But for my own reasons I can't go back to that anymore. So here I am, in Denver, getting a higher education, raising awareness, agitating, and working on restorative justice. I don't know where it will take me in the future; all I know is I'm following my heart and desire to give back to the world.

And ya never know.... One day when a gigantic corporation comes in to buy up all of the Ark water rights, or dam it up for power, and destroy much of what you love up there... those of us who have already been fighting against what will inevitably come your way will welcome you with open arms and help you in your fight to protect that which you love. Until then, enjoy your little private world while you can. If you think that's hyperbole might I remind you of Nestle buying up water in Brown's Canyon; might I remind you that the front range is quickly growing and needs water and power; or might I remind you of the millions of tons of toxic water sitting up there in Leadville and waiting to burst through the shoddy coffers that hold it back and into yours, mine and other's cherished river basin. Because if you think the same political and economic criminals (the financial/corporate/empire) - who are oppressing Occupy protesters for exercising their first amendments rights to call out their crimes - are gonna help you protect that beautiful valley or come help you clean it up when/if the toxic sludge comes rolling down the mountain one day... then your head is buried a little too deep in that BV river rock to understand the greater realities that are starkly right in front of all our faces.

I post articles like the one above to help raise awareness. You can read it, and think what you will. But do me a favor... don't tell me how the fuck I should live my life, or that I should "re-adjust" my priorities so I can live the life you feel is the right way.
Old 09-25-2012   #10

Denver, Colorado
Logan,
I re-read the comment and realized I was being condescending towards you when I said that you were " so blissfully unaware". My apologies. However I stand by the part when I said, "you are able to so easily look past these types of massive injustices."

And more power to you for living a good life up in BV. I've nothing against it; love it in fact. I'm a proponent doing what you love and living for the moments. And you're obviously doing that. So congrats. Enjoy it.

Take care!