BBC NEWS | Americas | World's major rivers 'drying up'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7821082.stm

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
But Oklahoma Senator Inhofe says there's no such thing as "climate change"...
Old 04-22-2009   #3

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
But Oklahoma Senator Inhofe says there's no such thing as "climate change"...
Nice paraphrasing of his comments. His intention was that it is not human caused...which there is a large body of evidence to support.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009   #4

Little Village, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. compassionate View Post
Nice paraphrasing of his comments. His intention was that it is not human caused...which there is a large body of evidence to support.
Fair enough. How about this: despite mountains of scientific evidence to the contrary, and near scientific community unanimity that climate change is human-caused, Senator Inhofe persists in his unusual belief that the mega-tons of carbon pumped into the atmosphere since the start of the Industrial Revolution have not changed our climate.

Better?
Old 04-22-2009   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Now now, Riparian, there's no need to get all accurate and fair with Mr. Compassionate. He was playing nice and you should too. "Balanced" journalism requires two sides to every story, even if one side contains over 99% of the world's acknowledged experts, and the other side ignores every bit of solid evidence refuting their beliefs, instead concentrating only on the eensy-weensy bit that suggests things aren't as bad as everybody else says. Besides, I think I saw a sunspot the other day, so I'm sure that's the real reason that the climate has been heating up in lockstep with our anthropocentric carbon emmissions.
Old 04-22-2009   #6

Little Village, Colorado
Quote:
Besides, I think I saw a sunspot the other day, so I'm sure that's the real reason that the climate has been heating up in lockstep with our anthropocentric carbon emissions.
Sunspot? Nah, that was a smudge on your sunglasses. Those little lens cloth thingies will fix that... and save our planet from shrinking rivers and rising seas.
Old 04-23-2009   #7

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
Now now, Riparian, there's no need to get all accurate and fair with Mr. Compassionate. He was playing nice and you should too. "Balanced" journalism requires two sides to every story, even if one side contains over 99% of the world's acknowledged experts, and the other side ignores every bit of solid evidence refuting their beliefs, instead concentrating only on the eensy-weensy bit that suggests things aren't as bad as everybody else says. Besides, I think I saw a sunspot the other day, so I'm sure that's the real reason that the climate has been heating up in lockstep with our anthropocentric carbon emmissions.

Just as the economy goes through cycles so does the earths environment. Both irrefutable documented facts. The earth has long-term cylces as evidenced by ice ages and short term cycles counted in decades. See the graphs and compare carbon emmissions in ice layers with these cycles and it's proof positive that CO2 emmissions have been much higher in the past when temperatures where much lower. The point being no one can say for sure.
Old 04-23-2009   #8

conifer, Colorado
Have any of you ever read the National Geographic article referenced here.
Global Cooling?

by Susan Kruglinski
Discover magazine
February 2006
Global warming skeptics often cite contradictory reports from a generation ago warning of global cooling. In 1975 Newsweek wrote of "ominous signs" that temperatures were dipping, and a year later National Geographic suggested the possibility of a worldwide chilling trend. Stephen Schneider, a climatologist at Stanford University, recalls those stories well. "I was one of the ones who talked about global cooling", he says. "I was also the one who said what was wrong with that idea within three years."
Schneider coauthored a 1971 article in the journal Science about atmospheric aerosols—floating particles of soil dust, volcanic ash, and human-made pollutants. His research suggested that industrial aerosols could block sunlight and reduce global temperatures enough to overcome the effects of greenhouse gases, possibly triggering an ice age. But he soon realized that he had overestimated the amount of aerosols in the air and underestimated the role of greenhouse gases.
"Back then this science was so new, so theoretical, it was really hard to sort it out", he says. He and the other early climate researchers say they did not predict a global cooling trend but simply suggested the possibility. Evidence suggests that average worldwide temperatures did decrease between the 1940's and the 1970's. Some climatologists partially attribute the temporary cooling trend to industrial smog, which has since been overcome by the effects of growing greenhouse emissions, and, ironically, by clean-air laws that have reduced atmospheric particulates.
"Science is a self-correcting institution", Schneider says. "The data change, so of course you change your position. Otherwise, you would be dishonest.

Interesting that global temps decreased from 1940-1970 eventhough the increase in carbon emissions during this period grew exponentially as well at CO2 part per million. Maybe we should be spewing more aerosols into the air.
Old 04-23-2009   #9

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I haven't read that article, but it sounds interesting. Science, as the author quotes,
Quote:
is a self-correcting institution", Schneider says. "The data change, so of course you change your position. Otherwise, you would be dishonest."
All that scientists have to go on is the preponderance of evidence collected, and no conclusion is ever absolute. That said, if there is overwhelming evidence to support a certain hypothesis, then that hypothesis is generally accepted as the most accurate representation of reality as we currently understand it. A refutation of that hypothesis would require repeated valid, contradictory data. An article put out by the Union of Concerned Scientists in 2007 addresses one complicating factor in the current "dispute" on global warming and its causes:

Smoke, Mirrors & Hot Air: How ExxonMobil Uses Big Tobacco’s Tactics to Manufacture Uncertainty on Climate Science

It turns out that Exxon Mobil has been adopting the same disinformation tactics, and even some of the same organizations and personnel, as the tobacco industry, in order to sow doubt and confusion about the science behind global warming. It's an interesting read, and one I hope anyone with an opinion about global warming, especially a skeptical one, will read.

Quote:
Interesting that global temps decreased from 1940-1970 eventhough the increase in carbon emissions during this period grew exponentially as well at CO2 part per million. Maybe we should be spewing more aerosols into the air.
This has actually been proposed as part of a possible solution. High altitude dumping of aerosols and particulate matter from jets or rockets. Kinda freaks me out, but hey, what do I know?
Old 04-23-2009   #10

Little Village, Colorado
Mr. Compassionate, while this might seem to be an unrelated tangent, where do you stand on creationism vs. evolution?