Why I'm not a Republican - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-03-2010   #1
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Why I'm not a Republican

To quote Bruce Bartlett:
Quote:
I can only conclude from this new poll of 2003 self-identified Republicans nationwide that between 20% and 50% of the party is either insane or mind-numbingly stupid.
Now, the poll is from last month. The 2003 point is that the people interviewed were self-identified as Republicans in 2003 (which, in fact, at that time, I was also...)

Quote:
What you begin to realize is that on a whole host of issues, the GOP is going backward in areas of social tolerance, as they marinate in their own paranoia and purge every non-ideologue from their ranks. And as they go backward and feel, yes, left behind, their virulence and resentment intensify. It's a classic fundamentalist response to modernity.

It has a parallel in the way in which non-violent Islamists have doubled down on medievalism as they feel an overwhelming sense of their own failure to succeed in modernity. There is a profound insecurity and dysfunction in these subcultures which cannot make the transition to modern life and thereby surrender more totally to the ancient past and to hatred of those who succeed. The hatred of Obama - a clearly decent and obviously Christian man - is not about him. It's about them. It's about their resentment of a man who has integrated his own identity and made a place for himself in a pluralist world. They cannot do that - so, like Palin, they invent a world of ancient virtues and moral absolutes that they routinely fail to live up to in reality. I mean: look at Palin's family and Obama's. Whose is the more traditional? And yet Palin is allegedly the avatar of family values - and Obama is a commie subversive.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad.
(andrew sullivan)

1 in 4 believes Obama wants the terrorists to win.
1 in 3 believes birth control is abortion, and damn near as many want contraception outlawed. (so much for personal freedom)

Add to this the budgetary profligacy of the Republican controlled branches of government between 2001 and 2007 (during the boom years) and you see a party that is beholden mostly to power, and not any governing philosophy at all.

I was a Republican because I believed in limited power of government. Torture and permanent rendition are the antithesis of limited power. Christianist, medieval and old-testament lifestyles do not appeal to me.

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Life in Glenbeckistan is a life unexamined.
Old 02-03-2010   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Let me add this one:
Quote:
"Alcohol use, adultery, fraternization, and body art," - Senator Saxby Chambliss (R-GA),
On what he claims will follow in the wake of repealing DADT.

Hey, Theo, I know you know the military well. Ever seen adultery in the hetero Army? Or body art? Or alcahol use?

Because I remember when trooper BB and trooper Slim were all drunk and partying in the barracks, when Slim pulled out from BB's locker a bra that BB kept as souvenir from one of his many conquests without realizing it was Slim's own wife's bra...

I mean, this is a SENATOR!
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010   #4

Little Village, Colorado
"Let me be clear: There is no stronger advocate for civil liberties in the Senate than myself."
- Senator Saxby Chambliss

Guess his zeal for civil liberties outside the Senate is, uh, somewhat less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saxby_Chambliss.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	2251  
Old 02-03-2010   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I was shocked that only 8 percent feel an openly gay person should be allowed to teach.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
And you are not shocked that more then half feel Palin is more qualified then Obama?!

It seems like hate and fear have been base republican values for a long time now and the talking heads on the right are promoting that status quo.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #7
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliodorus04 View Post
Now, the poll is from last month. The 2003 point is that the people interviewed were self-identified as Republicans in 2003 (which, in fact, at that time, I was also...)

I read it as there were 2,003 people interviewed in the poll, who self-identified as republicans at the time of the interview.

And for those who don't know who Bruce Bartlett is, he served in both the Reagan and Bush Sr. admins, so he's not exactly a flaming liberal. His party just left him...
Old 02-03-2010   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riparian View Post
Life in Glenbeckistan is a life unexamined.

What amazed me about the poll is the number of "Not Sure"

For most issues / questions, "not sure" should be +/- 10%.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010   #9

Little Village, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Well, when a dick like this is their source of "information", confusion is inevitable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glenn-beck-goes-crazy-in-radio-show-pin-head-funny-comedy.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	2256  
Old 02-03-2010   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

With all of the not sure responses, there has to be an idiocracy angle to it. That movie just cracks me and scares me a bit.