Why do my pics look like crap - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-24-2013   #1

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Why do my pics look like crap

Don't upload pics that often on the buzz but just put up three and they all look like crap when viewing on the buzz. Besides my crappy camera and my horrible skills why is the buzz enlarging my pics and making them look bad?

yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Seems like you covered most of the bases, except you forgot to include the fact that you're in them as contributing to their degradation.

I suspect it's not that the buzz is enlarging your pics, but rather what you're using to view them is reducing them. Probably should reduce the size before uploading to standard screen size and they'll look a little better. When you open it in the buzz, right click on the image and select "view image" or "open in new tab" or something like that, depending on what browser you use, and see if that looks more like what you're expecting. Then upload something with a fiddler crab or brown claw.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013   #3

Kevin,
Unfortunately I am not in any of those pics since I am taking them, otherwise it would be understandable why they were so bad. I have tried opening in different browsers, right clicking, etc. I don't know if it is like this for you but I have to scroll horizontally through all the buzz pics when I click on them cause they don't fit my screen.

If you look at every pic that is up on the front of the creeking page they all look great, even when they are huge in the browser. I can't figure my pics are that bad since the max size to upload is 2kx2k anyways.

Edit: I looked at your and mhelm's pics and the info on them says that your files are bigger, but my resolution is at your level or larger how does that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Perhaps one day in life I'll actually have something useful to say, but probably not today.

When they finally improved the resolution for uploading photos, my first complaint was that when you open it, it doesn't automatically resize the image to fit your screen. So yes, having to horizontally scroll is a problem for everyone. That's what I was getting at with right-clicking. For instance, in Chrome, if you right-click on the image and say open in new tab, then the browser will resize the image to fit your window. I was wondering if that made it look more like the image you were expecting to see. It's still not too awesome looking, but better than looking at the blown up image.

But I guess looking your photo, you'r using an Olympus 720SW 7 megapixel camera, yet the size of your image, as you note is only 663 KB, which is way too small if you're shooting at 7 megapixels and way too small for a 2048 x 1536 image.

So something is going wrong in the steps from download it from your camera to computer and uploading it from your computer to mountainbuzz. Given other photos, I don't think it's mountainbuzz compressing it that much. It almost seems to me like you've got a small dimension photo and it's uploading it and thinking it's a larger dimension, but I don't know how that would happen.

Take a look at the EXIF data of the file you have on your computer (on Windows you ought to be able to right-click, properties, and look at the Details tab). What are the dimensions & size in there? If those look normal, maybe trying resizing it yourself to something smaller, like a 1200 pixel long end with minimal compression and then upload it.

That's all I got.
Old 06-25-2013   #5

It is an olympus but its old, I think it is only 3.1 Mp.

Yeah I tried right clicking in other browsers to no avail. Hmmmm I will check on things.

Edit Right clicking works on a widows machine wasn't working on my mac. Pics still don't look that great it must be me

P.S. Kevin what camera do you use?
Old 06-26-2013   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
I guess what I was trying to get at was: if you compare the file you get off your camera to the one you pull off your mountainbuzz upload and look at them in the same software, are they equally bad or is something bad happening during the process?

Anyway, I've been using a Sony NEX. It's a mirrorless interchangeable lens system. For my purposes, it's been great.