Who's government is it? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-27-2012   #1

Who's government is it?

From the NY Times:

Until 2010, federal law barred companies from using corporate money to endorse and campaign for political candidates — and that included urging employees to support specific politicians.

But the Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision has freed companies from those restrictions, and now several major companies, including Georgia-Pacific and Cintas, have sent letters or information packets to their employees suggesting — and sometimes explicitly recommending — how they should vote this fall.

In these letters, the executives complain about the costs of overregulation, the health care overhaul and possible tax increases. Some letters warn that if President Obama is re-elected, the company could be harmed, potentially jeopardizing jobs.

David A. Siegel, 77, chief executive of Westgate Resorts, a major time-share company, wrote to his 7,000 employees, saying that if Mr. Obama won, the prospect of higher taxes could hurt the company’s future.

“The economy doesn’t currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job, however, is another four years of the same presidential administration,” Mr. Siegel wrote. “If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current president plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company.”

Dave Robertson, the president of Koch Industries, sent an information packet and letter this month to more than 30,000 employees of a subsidiary, Georgia-Pacific, a paper and pulp company. The letter included a flier listing several candidates endorsed by the Koch brothers, the conservative billionaires, beginning with Mitt Romney.

Mr. Romney has himself urged business owners to appeal to their employees. In a conference call in June to business leaders, he said, “I hope you make it very clear to your employees what you believe is in the best interest of your enterprise and therefore their job and their future in the upcoming elections.”

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012   #2

Golden, Colorado
The Citizens United decision is a travesty. Corporations are not people and money is not speech.

But I don't see what's wrong with corporations telling employees that certain policies will affect their profits and therefore affect employment at the company. It's letting the employee be an informed voter. Either the company is being truthful and letting their employees know that their jobs are in jeopardy if certain policies are passed. Or they could be lying for various reasons and the employees need to determine the truth for themselves... no different than anything else in politics. But when one candidate is saying "vote for me and I'll give you so-and-so for free", voters need to know that "free" has a cost. Sounds like that is what the companies are telling their employees. Of course when you're of the mindset that the rich can just pay for it all, the ramifications of different policies don't enter into the equation... that is until your job gets shipped overseas.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You are right it is critical that people figure out for themselves who is lying.!!!
It s also borderline extortion.It is a slippery slope towards fascism another of the steps in the shift.Although they failed, they ( the Venezuelan right supported by us) took it to the next level.Employers required employees to show a card proving they had voted in the recall refrrendum (2001? ) before they could return to work.It told how you voted on the card.Some of the same American think tanks that helped concoct that plan are likely disseminating these talking points to Republican supporting Companies /CEO 's.That is how shit works now.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012   #4

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
Basil,

Thanks for pointing this out to our Faux viewers.

This is a step toward facism. Big business currently has 1.7 trillion dollars laying on the sideline for investment. Paying Clinton era tax rates is not going to cause some hellish fiasco. It's a matter of the rich paying their fair share to keep our deficit and debt at lower rates of growth. Of course we need to make government cuts, but I refuse to allow my politicians to kiss the ass of corporate America and Grover Norquist. I like to remind my representatives of their unholly pledge to Grover Norquist, daily on their facebook pages. The bottom line is that America is becoming more diverse and the racists and rightees can't accept that everyone isn't just like them. It's time to go to the polls Colorado, and destroy those who put their racist, selfish, backward thinking before the good of our country!!
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012   #5

Uzbekibekistanstan, Mississippi
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/27/us...w-nytimes&_r=0

More details...
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012   #6
swimming

conifer, Colorado
You guys are so hypocritical. I guess it's ok for unions to confiscate money not just ask for it then send it to the left.

Bugger off!
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012   #7

Denver, Colorado
Mr. C.,

You still don 't get it.Unions represent very large numbers of ordinary middle class people and raise the bar for All working class people.Union dues ain't that big.Right wingers are happy to collect the extra pay and benefits but act like crybabies when they get out voted.Card check is to keep management from rigging the vote, since they are the ones counting if it does 'nt go to arbitration.If unions got seemingly sweetheart deals sometimes,it is only because management had so much profit to give in on in negociations ( public unions different) . If unions sometimes had Jimmy HOFFAs and Danny Greens' it is mostly because that is wha t is effevtive /needed to combat the dirty tricks by management : collusion, corrupting government, bringing in union busting thugs and scabs, influence over media reporting, false financial statements etc.

When the company or institutions are in legitimate trouble unions have an excellent history of making reasonable concessions.In Wisconsin public employees had already made concesiond of 7 to 9% before Walker went after them for the Kochs
Old 10-31-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
they make concessions while management get bonus ' and ownership tax cuts.
Old 10-31-2012   #9
swimming

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
Mr. C.,

You still don 't get it.Unions represent very large numbers of ordinary middle class people and raise the bar for All working class people.Union dues ain't that big.Right wingers are happy to collect the extra pay and benefits but act like crybabies when they get out voted.Card check is to keep management from rigging the vote, since they are the ones counting if it does 'nt go to arbitration.If unions got seemingly sweetheart deals sometimes,it is only because management had so much profit to give in on in negociations ( public unions different) . If unions sometimes had Jimmy HOFFAs and Danny Greens' it is mostly because that is wha t is effevtive /needed to combat the dirty tricks by management : collusion, corrupting government, bringing in union busting thugs and scabs, influence over media reporting, false financial statements etc.

When the company or institutions are in legitimate trouble unions have an excellent history of making reasonable concessions.In Wisconsin public employees had already made concesiond of 7 to 9% before Walker went after them for the Kochs
Cayo, in real world experience the only thing unions do is protect the worst workers of the bunch. Every job I have worked in my 30 years of working has been based on performance. If unions would actually allow competition for the jobs they supposedly are protecting then the wage earners and shareholders would benefit...just sayin. To many lazy, bad workers protected by the bunch who are good.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote