Who here actually Participates in Politics - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 09-19-2008   #1
sj

Who here actually Participates in Politics

I am getting prepared to walk my precinct for the third time. I am inviting every registered D in my precinct to my house to Organize the street corner sign brigade and distribute lawn signs. The previous 2 times I did lit drops as we call them were for meet the Candidate events.

I ended up as precinct Captain by vote at the Caucus. You can laugh at me all you want but I do enjoy being a D in The Ranch. And Ritter only lost The Ranch by 112 votes. I intend to get 10 of those for Obama. So do you all just participate here or do you do so IRL. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008   #2

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I walked a few times in '04 and have already done so this cycle. I will most likely be out this weekend on behalf of the Obama campaign, and probably once or twice during the week until the election is over.My work to this point has consisted of canvassing neighborhoods to make sure voter registrations are current, are people registered to vote, which way are they leaning in the election, do they need information about a particular candidate, etc. Very interesting process - responses are all over the board from some people very open and willing to talk to others not answering the door even though I can see them in their house to saying they don't have time to talk.

One thing I've noticed so far in this cycle is that there are very few "undecideds" among the "unaffiliated" voters I've talked to. It seems to be pretty favorable so far. I even had a registered republican tell me last weekend (I was looking for his unaffiliated wife) tell me that they will both be voting for Obama, and he made it very clear that he is not happy with the republicans and in particular with mccain. He was the typical republican voter - mid-30's, white, married, looked very successful financially. Could it be a sign of things to come in about 7 weeks?
Old 09-19-2008   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post

(I was looking for his unaffiliated wife)
That sounds hot...

I'm in "The Ranch" now, mostly. No time to canvass due to school, but I've thought about it.

In my El Paso Texas days, I worked for a Republican challenger who took on a 20-plus year incumbent democrat in the US House of Reps. This Dem was one of the top 10 worst offenders in the "bouncy check" scandal of the early 90s. The Dem still ended up winning by a comfortable margin. And the republican was a bit more of a douche to his staff than my ethics could stand. So I decided that's not really a good path for me.

I might run for office some day; I've seriously considered it as a future option. But I don't belong in either party, and I have impressive skeletons.
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008   #4
sj

The Dude is righteous. One of the things I noticed is very few are undecided. I have been chased off the porch by unaffiliated and invited in by R's. It's been a good experience. And I am also trying to get everyone updated.

Helo. We are mostly on a different page but I do love your thoughtful approach. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Any time I get a chance to quote Lazarus Long, I shall:
Quote:
If you are part of a society that votes, then do so. There may be no candidates and no measures you want to vote for...but there are certain to be ones you want to vote against. In case of doubt, vote against. By this rule you will rarely go wrong. If this is too blind for your taste, consult some well-meaning fool (there is always one around) and ask his advice. Then vote the other way. This enables you to be a good citizen (if such is your wish) without spending the enormous amount of time on it that truly intelligent exercise of franchise requires.
Italics mine.
Old 09-19-2008   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Unfortunately, Helio, that type of quote is usually used to browbeat people from voting 3rd party, as is it is akin to being the devil. In it's pure sense, yes. You may be voting against the republicans (as you've said before, not trying to put words in your mouth), I choose to vote against that bipolar political party "Republocrat".
Old 09-19-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We get it Ihowemt,there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between the parties,Just letting market forces govern our lives will solve all of societies problems.That is so deep.

How's things goin' at the 'ol Kaczinski place?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayo 2 View Post
We get it Ihowemt,there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between the parties,Just letting market forces govern our lives will solve all of societies problems.That is so deep.

How's things goin' at the 'ol Kaczinski place?
OH, EXCUUUUZE ME! Right, us and about 4 other people here on the Buzz, with just a few more in the real world. Ideas don't need to be deep if they reflect reality, false depth is usually just an effort to cover inadequacies, like lack of knowledge. Keep on trying to be deep, or you could just look down a well! Just don't fall in staring at your reflection!

Great, a new loony moved onto his property, likes to hang out by the highway and shoot passerby's. Montana is a dangerous place. Guns and minds.
Old 09-19-2008   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
We tried your no regulation free market bullshit for 8 years ,look what it got us!Who isn't acknowledging reality?You didn't address the many examples of the differences between parties on the other thread .This they're all the same is a load of crap.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
We tried your no regulation free market bullshit for 8 years ,look what it got us!Who isn't acknowledging reality?You didn't address the many examples of the differences between parties on the other thread .This they're all the same is a load of crap.
First, let me state that I am not a "free markets will fix everything" type of person. I do like SOME of what Ron Paul speaks about, but not all. Mainly I love how he defends the Constitution in a Jeffersonian way. I also love how he talks about the Fed being the main problem to our economic problems.

Second, the free market does NOT exist. It never has!. The economic bullcrap of the past 8 years more closely resembles crony capitalism, state interventionism and downright fraud. Read Chomsky's views on the "free market" He has many different articles and interviews about this subject. www.chomsky.info type in "free market" in the search button.

Third, as for "they're all the same" Well, obviously they aren't the same on many levels. But, one thing is for sure... With either of the 2 candidates in office we will continue to get corporatism, militarism, less privacy and continued shitty Fed monetary policies - unless We the People stand up and say NO MORE! As for the rest of the politcal issues... no doubt... they are indeed very different.

Fourth, whoever wins we will still need to endure many more years of political corruption and economic chaos. Do you think that those in power will just hand over their power on a silver-plater? The next few years is gonna suck regardless of who is in office. The only good that will come out of all this political corruption and economic chaos is the hope that the American public will finally wake up and realize that those who have been in power the past 30 something years have SCREWED US ALL. With this awakening we will finally be a part of (or witness) the long awaited and well overdue social revolution. I do hope a man as intelligent as Obama can get into office - which is why I will vote for him. But the social change that is needed will only come from We the People demanding it!

And, to the original post's question. I have not participated in the way in which you do. I commend you for your actions. I would be with you if I had as much faith in Obama as you do.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote