What is Glenwood Springs like? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-24-2010   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What is Glenwood Springs like?

My sister is likely moving to Glenwood springs for work. Getting out of a bad job situation, and she's not really sure it will be a good fit. I think it'll be great for her, but I don't really know the area. It seems like it's right at the edge of the rockies, and the desert, offering both opportunities not too far away. Is this right? How about town recreation, after work type stuff? Is it a dog community? My impression is that CO has a lot of transplants, and it might be more tolerant of newbies.

Is it a pretty inclusive community, or more small townish mentality?
Recreation? Obviously skiing, but what about hiking, biking, etc.
Cost, any beta on affordable-ish housing? They're sled dog people, so will be looking for a bit of seclusion, out of town, with a bit of space.

Thanks for info I can pass on to her.

Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Glenwood is beautiful and the turn off to Aspen which is just up the road. I'd say it is trying hard to keep it's small town mentality, but housing is not that cheap, but that depends on what you call cheap. I think once again houses can be had in the $500,000.00 range. It was in very short supply up till now with all the drilling. She will love the hiking, biking and all the area has to offer. Never lived there myself but have a lot of friends that do. If she finds it to much hustle and busle, there are a couple of towns close by that might be more her liking. Carbondale and New Castle or Silt come to mind. All are just a few miles away and more small townish. Hope this helps.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #3

Northern Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Glenwood area...

"Is it a pretty inclusive community, or more small townish mentality?
Recreation? Obviously skiing, but what about hiking, biking, etc.
Cost, any beta on affordable-ish housing? They're sled dog people, so will be looking for a bit of seclusion, out of town, with a bit of space."

The Roaring Fork Valley has it all. There is a large variety of rec activities: mnt and road biking is great, lift served skiing at sunlight is right outside of town, and the aspen areas are 45 min. away. Backcountry skiing in the elk mnt. range is unlimited. Kayaking and rafting is also good with many runs on the roaring fork, crystal, and colorado rivers-anything from class 1 up to 5+. The desert is also fairly close with ruby/horsetheif and westwater pretty close. It is not cheap but now is a good time to rent or buy-rents are down quite a bit from even a year ago and prices of houses are dipping into the upper 300k range. Seclusion/country living? Tell her to look west of glenwood in an area called cattle creek, also, look along the road up to sunlight. There might still be some relatively affordable places between carbondale and redstone. IMO, b'dale has become a boulder-like place that is full of trust-funder clicky types and is ultra expensive-although a supreme place geographically for biking, boating, skiing, good food, also fairly close to the northwest end of the elks and the magnificent san juans.

Cons: As more people move into the RFV it has become a busier place. This is evident in the daily road rage that takes place anywhere on Hwy 82 between glenwood and aspen. The road gets congested and dangerous. I felt as though there was also a fair amount of mexican/anglo tension in the air.
But- as far as colorado livin' it has it all:great location, scenery, recreation, and high cost of living.
Faucet Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010   #4

On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Faucet Butt did a pretty good job of describing it, but you did leave out Jazz in the Park. Once a week in the summer the town comes to 3 Rivers Park and is entertained by musicians for free. Families, singles, river rats, and anyone else around brings in food, beer, wine, etc.. and see's good music. I had a blast out there last summer, Dirty Dozen Brass Band put on a hell of a show.

The Roaring Fork Valley is a great place.
bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Couldn't imagine she wouldn't like it. However, coming from MT?? you will definetely know you are closer to Mexico.
melted_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Good comments. First of all GWS is a great place to live - any outdoor activity you could want to do is right out your back door. Very friendly, easy to fit in since there is a real variety of people. Fairly expensive housing but has come down some this last year. If you have sled dogs, (there is a substantial mushing community in the area) you will probably do better down valley towards New Castle. Acerage is more affordable. GWS is very confined btwn mountains - no acerage available and up-valley acerage is WAY expensive. Check out the 4-mile area on the way to Sunlight. Some not too crazy prices for acerage up there. Vickie Lee Green is a good realtor
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Liked Glenwood the best of the mountain towns I lived /worked in Aspen ,Basalt,Vail ,Cripple Creek.Definitely cheaper than the others except maybe CC.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Thanks everyone! That's great info. She'll be thrilled to hear it. Hopefully it pans out for her.
Old 03-01-2010   #9

Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I've lived in Rifle (25 miles west of GWS) and work in Silt so I have a pretty good feel for the area having been here for the past 4 years. I'm a transplant from MN and found people very laid back here. The comments are right on with expensive living. New Castle, Silt, and Rifle are all MUCH cheaper than GWS and just a short drive down the interstate away. As far as activities goes, if she likes to be outside, this is the place to be. Hiking, biking, paddling, skiing, bouldering, rock climbing, hunting, anything she wants really. Coming from another place, I can tell you that she has ALOT to be excited about. Hope her job works out for her! PM me if you have any specific questions, thanks
fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #10

Salida, Colorado
I have a house for rent as a landing zone easy terms pm if interested.