What about Salazar? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-17-2008   #1

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
What about Salazar?

What do all you Coloradoans think of Salazar. Good for our people, wildlife, and public lands, or good for corporate america? I am guessing corporate, but have no idea about him.

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008   #2

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I think it's a great choice other than the fact that Colorado loses him as our Senator. He's not a corporate kind of guy. I don't think most corporate guys always wear a cowboy hat. He's a rancher dude from the south part of the state.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. That's just my perception.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #3
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I believe Ken Salazar's decisions in the past couple years have been constantly based on his staunch support of conservation efforts and human rights, not corporate interests. He also chose John McCain as his mentor when he first became senator. Obama choosing him doesn't surprise me at all as Salazar has always been very moderate and crossed party lines in trying to work out agreements. He tried to institute some immigration reform a couple years ago (I don't remember the details) that seemed very fair but didn't pass in the end. I don't know if I would say the same for his brother, John, who could be appointed to replace him.

The only other thing is that as a rancher, don't expect him to be looking out for recreational water use rights much.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
What do all you Coloradoans think of Salazar. Good for our people, wildlife, and public lands, or good for corporate america? I am guessing corporate, but have no idea about him.
I think Salazar is a good choice for Secy of the Interior. As a Senator, he has a reasonable environmental record, and was for a "go slow" approach to development of oil shale. Something about the OBSCENE amounts of water it takes to pull oil out of shale...

Sorry to see him go as Senator. He's a centrist who could have easily won re-election in two years.

He sure as hell ain't James Watt!
Old 12-17-2008   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass

The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
Very much a fan of both Salazar's (my mom is in John's congressional district).

I agree with TMTTR that Ken's attitude toward water conservation was troubling, albeit understandable given his background in agriculture. I think Sec of Interior is a terrible, meaningless, powerless job (remember when Kristy Todd Whitman was supposed to change the world with that one in 2000?), and I think Salazar's dumb to take the position, but I don't know what his ultimate ambitions are.

I think it's a bad day for Colorado to lose Ken as an advocate, I really do, and I'm not happy. I feel a bit let down by Ken in this.
Old 12-17-2008   #6

Durango, Colorado
Christie Todd Whitman was an OK guv of Joisy, but absolutely horrible at the EPA (not Interior).

Gale Norton, the James Watt acolyte who headed Interior (and sadly was from Colorado), was a NIGHTMARE. Her role in the destruction of the Klamath River with Dickless Cheney was absolutely criminal. Not surprisingly, when she left BushCo in 2006 she was hired by Shell as a legal advisor in their oil shale division.
Old 12-17-2008   #7
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Semi-randomly Salazar came and spoke at my workplace once. I think he was just trying to be in touch with the people. I and many of my colleagues noted he was a remarkably good speaker and gave excellent and coherent answers to all the questions that were posed to him.

Ironically, he said the most important job facing our country, for him as a senator and for the next president (this was a couple years ago) was to improve our international relationships. Now he'll be the Secretary of the Interior. Well he's bound to be better than the last 2.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
This guy is the real deal. He will be good for the country. colorado will miss him.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #9

San Juans, Colorado
Ken

Salazar plays up his 'ranching background' he hasn't been very involved in the physical act since he graduated high school.

I think it is refreshing to have another westerner representing us back east. He knows the value and needs of an agriculture based economy, yet he seems to have conservation on the mind.

As for water, the san luis valley is ground zero for some interesting water issues that may have far reaching consequences into the rest of the region. Practicing water law in this area should provide him insights to share in DC.

Unfortunatly for us boaters i belived that desertification, over population, and a failing economy will make recereational water rights low priority in the coming years. Try telling Californians that they can't have irrigation water (or bluegrass golf courses) because I plan on drinking whiskey and playing horseshoes from Bradfield to Hite.....

Scott
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I took one of Salazar's top aids down the Taylor in the mini-me at 600. I flipped in The Slot and swam his ass into that strainer. I hope this doesn't soil the good senator's view of river use...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote