We the People, and the Republic we must reclaim - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Other Chatter > The Eddy

Old 04-12-2013   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
We the People, and the Republic we must reclaim

Lawrence Lessig: We the People, and the Republic we must reclaim | Video on TED.com

marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013   #2

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Inspiring! Shared it on FB, thanks for posting that marko.
Old 04-12-2013   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Wow. He is so on the money!
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2013   #4

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensjustduckie View Post
Inspiring! Shared it on FB, thanks for posting that marko.
I found it incredibly inspiring too! So much so that I am putting my energy into helping out with the organization Lessig has created. Check out their website and join up if you are interested. Rootstrikers

Lessig also has a few books out that expand on his TED talk. "Republic, Lost" and "One Way Forward: THe Outsiders Guide to Fixing the Republic"

Cheers, and thanks for sharing the video!
Mark
Old 04-13-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
Wow. He is so on the money!
I'm glad you liked it. It's impressive how well his message cuts right down to the root of the problem, while also being able to bridge the partisan gap - both the left and the right should want to support this kind of a thing.
Old 04-14-2013   #6
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Some wit once suggested that all Federal campaigns should be paid for by taxes. The idea was, you apply for grants based on the number of states you could get "significant" votes in. Socialized politics!

Me, I like the way it was in George Washington's day; they had to drag him kicking and screaming into office.

But then, I hate campaign ads worse than the ads for Wax vacuums.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #7

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
The Supreme Court already decided that candidates can get unlimited billions from any person, country or organization so the only way to change the problem is to change the court. We need to get Scalia and that sorry sack of shit Clarence Thomas off the court.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC View Post
The Supreme Court already decided that candidates can get unlimited billions from any person, country or organization so the only way to change the problem is to change the court. We need to get Scalia and that sorry sack of shit Clarence Thomas off the court.
Hi Frank,

I recommend you check out more of Lessig's written work. It's some of the most logical and solid arguments, that I have seen, that get to the root of the problem. Surely, the Supreme Court has gone pretty whacky. And, yes, Scalia and Monsanto Clarence need to be replaced. But they are simply the branch that grew out of the root problem. The reason they are in their position is because of the corrupting influence of money in politics. K Street and the revolving door were doing their thing long before the Citizen United decision. So to replace these justices we need to fix the root of the problem first.

Take Monsanto Clarence - how much money does Monsanto spend on lobbying and campaign finance? Monsanto's Deep Roots In Washington - OpenSecrets Blog

From Lawrence Lessig "One Way Forward: The Outsider’s Guide to Fixing the Republic"

"The day before Citizens United was decided, this democracy was already broken. Citizens United may have shot it again, but the body was already cold. And reversing Citizens United might well be a necessary step to bringing it back to life. But such a reversal alone is nowhere close to a sufficient step. To revive this democracy, we must change the way campaigns are funded and supported."

So what would fix it? What change would end this debilitating dependence, this obvious corruption? Understand the source and you understand the solution. The source of this corruption is a Congress that is responsive to its funders but whose funders are not the People. The remedy is to change that source by making the funders “the People.” We can achieve that remedy by changing the way campaigns are funded. We must move away from the world in which (a tiny slice of) the top 1 percent fund elections to a world in which practically all of us— let’s say, the 99 percent— fund elections. Until we do that, we will not have a republic “dependent upon the People alone.” We will instead have a government “dependent upon the funders primarily.”

He goes on to give some concrete steps that all of us can do to try and make this happen. "[We] are this Republic’s only hope. And so long as [we] dawdle, [we] deserve what’s left when this Republic is lost."

-------------------------------------------

And Schutzie... he definitely doesn't promote tax-payer funded campaigns.

Take care all,
Mark
Old 04-18-2013   #9
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Well no, he doesn't. Neither do I (support tax payer funded election campaigns).

The point was that it would be one way to get PACS out of business, but probably the cure is worse than the disease.

I would support candidates who don't want the job, won't campaign, and threaten not to take it if elected.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013   #10

Denver, Colorado
Oh, If anybody in the Denver area - whether you are a lefty or righty makes no difference - is interested in helping out with the organization that Lessig started, Rootstrikers, send me a PM. I'm working with them now - it's only volunteer work.