Wanted: music suggestions - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-23-2009   #1
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Wanted: music suggestions

Not sure if anyone responds to topics on here that don't involve political polemics, but I'm going to give it a shot.

I've been in a music funk lately and need some new tunes. I don't want the suggestions of a bunch of old married farts either. I already talk to those guys all the time and I'm sick of listening to Free Bird. Does that Beastie Boys CD really still play with all those scratches? Last time I read one of these music suggestion threads on the buzz I ended up buying a Decemberists album and came very close to committing suicide after listening to it 10 times straight through. Yes, I have heard of Widespread Panic. Yeah Dan, I know Phish can work that rift for the next 20 minutes but my trip is wearing off dude and I'm getting bored.

Are you under 25 and out high school? Good, I'm talking to you. What are you listening to these days? Where's that newly discovered talent I haven't heard about? I don't care what genre we're talking about - good music is good music.

Thanks in advance.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
bedoen soundclash? spelled wrong. john butler trio, damien marley, can't go wrong with some pearl jam. string cheese incident.

if you don't have the U2 version of i am the egg maN(BY THE BEATLES) its worth the dolla from itunes.

and jimi hendrix is what gets me pumped. and you should know the oldies by far is stil the best music out there.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #3

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
KSC, I could give you names of a lot of bands you have probably never heard of, but since I'm an old married fart that is into the funky, jazz, fusion kind of stuff and it's probably way over your head. Sorry I can't help.

Plus, I only have rafts.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2009   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Mr. Hyman, thank you for your restraint. I realize that when you're floating through Ruby-Horsethief downin a Pibber and that latest James Brown funky beat starts dancing in your head it's tempting to share it with the world. But alas, my parameters are quite clear, and your respect for them is much appreciated.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Mr. Hyman, thank you for your restraint. I realize that when you're floating through Ruby-Horsethief downin a Pibber and that latest James Brown funky beat starts dancing in your head it's tempting to share it with the world. But alas, my parameters are quite clear, and your respect for them is much appreciated.
It's Mr. Whyman and I forgot to mention that I am also a beer snob. I drink nothing but my own beer or micro stuff and it better be hoppy. No swill down my throat. And sorry I don't do many float trips, I prefer the bigger stuff Like the Grand or the Middle Fork at 6ft. And James Brown isn't what I meant by funky. More of a R&B, New Orleans funk along the lines of Stanton Moore and Robert Walters.

Good luck in your music search.

PS. And the Eddy isn't just for political crap.
Old 07-23-2009   #6

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you looking for a specific genre? I mean if you're looking for underground indie stuff because you're a hipster good luck. I'm not in your age bracket but have been told my taste in music is "high schoolish", what are you looking for?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009   #7

Sorry, I'm over 25, but I did just get out of high school!!!!! Anyhow, as you know, I am TOTALLY cool and everyone wants to be just like me, so you should check out my favorite musician now days - Sabicas.

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #8
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Hmmm... just out of high school? Under 25? Something new and different? Chances are you haven't heard half the shit that's out there so I'm going to go out on a limb. If you have, my apologies for disrespecting the parameters...

Kings of Leon
Drive-by Truckers
Dar Williams
Toots and the Maytals
Supersuckers
Avett Brothers
Hank III

Or... I'm sure Jack Johnson is going to come out with a new album soon.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #9

timbuktu, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Hmmm... just out of high school? Under 25? Something new and different? Chances are you haven't heard half the shit that's out there so I'm going to go out on a limb. If you have, my apologies for disrespecting the parameters...

Kings of Leon
Drive-by Truckers
Dar Williams
Toots and the Maytals
Supersuckers
Avett Brothers
Hank III

Or... I'm sure Jack Johnson is going to come out with a new album soon.

Nice list, I'll add a few, it's 4:40am(can't sleep) so my mind is a little out of it... I think of more tomorrow. Ipods in the bedroom and I don't want to piss off me wifey! You probably already know of most my list but I like looking at suggestions because sometimes I hear a bands name that I forgot about.

Wayne the Train Hancock (Hank III wishes he was Wayne)
The Black Keys
Rockentours
White Stripes
Ween (new albums have gone in a different direction that I like, but the old shit rocks)
Tyron Benoit
Strunz & Farrah
Modest Mouse
The Gorillaz
yarmonymatoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #10

SYOTR, Tennessee
Derek Trucks new cd, Already Free
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote