Wanted: music suggestions - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-24-2009   #11
wannabe kayaker

Dayton, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2006
If you want something really different, but rather mindblowing, do a search on YouTube for Michael Kelsey.

Boilerblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009   #12

Shpongle

Shpongle!
andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #13

Edwards, Colorado
As an old married guy I can't tell you to take a spin through the Dylan, Stones, Lou Reed, Marley, Springsteen, Blue Rodeo, Steve Earle, Zep or Floyd catalogs for some unfound gems, but there's a few in there.

My kid fits your desired demographic (almost), has a bit of a bluegrass focus but a good ear. He likes Railroad Earth, Head For the Hills, Hot Buttered Rum, The Gourds, John Butler, Mike Doughty, moe, Panjea, Xavier Rudd, Yonder, STS9, Boombox, Guster.....

Pandora is a great way to pick up on new music that is along the lines of your own taste. I listen to it at work all day long. Create my own stations, listen in on others. When I hear something I like I pull up the site and see who's playing.

Oh yeah, he's seen Shpongle too.
SBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009   #14
They call me Jon

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
Being a big fan of music myself and also always on the look out for new talent, might I suggest some of the following? (Yes I am under 25, but been out of highschool, undergrad and grad school for a couple years.)

1. Wilco. You are likely to have heard of them. (Just released a new album) My Favorite band currently
2. Son Volt (The other part of Uncle Tupelo if you know much about them)
3. Whiskeytown and or Ryan Adams
4. Yo La Tengo
5. Okkervil River (Up and coming still, could have some serious potential)
6. Old Cros Medicine Shoe (If you like bluegrass)

Hope some of this is new for you and you enjoy some of it.
cheifitj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #15

Indian Hills, Colorado
I'm listening to June 23, 1995 Phish at Waterloo Village right now, man that was some show...Lizards, Good Times Bad Times, Antelope... YEM has been playing for 12 minutes and I'm nowhere near bored. Oh, sorry Kevin.

In addition to Okkervill River, Damien Jurado, Neutral Milk Hotel...but that's all sorta old-news stuff.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009   #16

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is someone that I think would have a wide appeal. Eric Lindell
His last 3 CD's are all good.
Old 07-24-2009   #17

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
And James Brown isn't what I meant by funky.
Shit, Roger... as one old married dude to another, we gotta talk! I'm with you on the Nawlins stuff, but James Brown "Live at the Apollo" (1962 vintage) is THE funk album of all freaking time. Truly. Nothing touches it, in my hardly humble opinion. Opening with "I'll Go Crazy" and funking hard until the closing, and most killer version of "Night Train" ever, this is quintessential FUNK. The "Famous Flames" are burning down the house. One of the modern popular music classics of all time.
Old 07-25-2009   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoSteve View Post
Shit, Roger... as one old married dude to another, we gotta talk! I'm with you on the Nawlins stuff, but James Brown "Live at the Apollo" (1962 vintage) is THE funk album of all freaking time. Truly. Nothing touches it, in my hardly humble opinion. Opening with "I'll Go Crazy" and funking hard until the closing, and most killer version of "Night Train" ever, this is quintessential FUNK. The "Famous Flames" are burning down the house. One of the modern popular music classics of all time.
I guess that was a poor choice of words on my part. I can't argue with your assessment of JB. Since a house fire in 88 took all my vinyl (several hundred albums), I tend to talk about what I now have and wish I could listen to what I used to have.
Old 07-25-2009   #19

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Man, losing all your vinyl is brutal! To (sorta) quote the Godfather of Soul, "I'd Go Crazy."

I have to admit that after reading this thread I felt compelled to pop in "Live at the Apollo," an album I hadn't listened to for awhile. Nice to be reminded what a stunning live performance that was/is. The percolating "Night Train" had this decrepit old white boy moving around the house like I actually knew how to move. Thankfully, the neighbors don't live close enough to see...
Old 07-25-2009   #20

All my axes and amp burnt up also. I took that as a sign to quit playing.