Van life help needed - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-31-2018   #1

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Van life help needed

We are close to getting a cargo van for some fun camping time and river gear hauling and bike riding....does anyone know of anyone in Arizona who can put in some swivel front seats and a bench seat (with seat belts) that is removable right behind the front seats? We are thinking strongly now of the Ram Promaster. I think we can do the rest of the up-fit on our own. We might want an aluminum welder to help with a bed frame. But, we have not decided. We know we can get a new promaster with swivels for about 600$ each extra, but a used or last year model van is soooo much cheaper. We have only seen one used van with a back seat for passengers, but the van was too short for our needs. Thanks in advance.

Flag

Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019   #2

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge someone is not allowed to significantly modify a manufacturer's certified motor vehicle's safety features and still operate it on public roadways legally. Safety features like seat anchoring and seat belts would likely need to be inspected and certified by an Engineering firm for, say, quality of welds, etc. before it would be legal and also be able to be insured and have no denial later if anything goes wrong.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019   #3

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Yes, Colorado Dave, I am looking for someone who can do it right. I actually found a place in PHX that specializes in adapting vehicles for handicap access who can do it legitimately. Thanks for the thoughts!

Flag
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2019   #4

Just trying to warn that if doing it on the cheap, it may be more expensive in the long run. May be redundant, but also maybe not so to someone else reading.
Old 01-02-2019   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Give Taylor Tours a call, they are on the north end of Phoenix right off I-17. There is some pretty eye candy there.
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019   #6

Tres Piedras, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1979
They make locking swivel plates that meet all laws, which use your existing chairs and are an easy bolt up solution. Just google it. Doesn't work with power seats though. Dodge dealer best bet for bench seat or ebay. Lots of aftermarket option out there no need for anything custom$$$.
newpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019   #7

For the front, what about these? Bolt-in. No fabrication needed.

https://vanupgrades.com/products/pro...h-offset-pivot

Lots of other promaster stuff too.
Mikerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019   #8

Ask Vans 'r' Us if they will be with you in court with your insurance company if you have a wreck and that seat goes flying out the front windshield with someone in it and they don't want to pay.

They can sell anything they want and you can buy anything you want. But that doesn't mean you should.

I would recommend finding the roundish-most square peg and worry about the back 1/2 of the van only.
Old 01-08-2019   #9

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
You should check with Artisan Welding in Flagstaff, or Mayorga's welding shop. They both work with Aluminum. Both shops are awesome. I have a custom dry box for my 10.5' raft from Artisan and Mayorga's has done a ton of work on various aluminum/ steel projects in the past for me.
topbud is offline   Reply With Quote