Tree Trimming Estimate? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-03-2018   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tree Trimming Estimate?

I just got an estimate to do trimming on 2 huge trees in my yard for about $1000 from a company that'll bring out a bucket truck and seems to be a pretty sharp outfit.

Estimate for: thinning, clearing around the house, trim back badly damaged limbs. It's been over 20 years since the trees were thinned and trimmed.

Is this good a good price? Anything I should ask about to make sure they do a good job?

Thanks,

-AH

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018   #2

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Seems reasonable to me Andy. How many hours do they expect to be on the job and what is their hourly rate for two to three guys plus the truck. Is disposal included? DO THEY HAVE INSURANCE??? All are valid questions.
jamesthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018   #3

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Bucket truck.

A bucket truck is ok for a few easy to get to parts of trimming a tree. Tree trimming is a 360 job, to reach the more difficult areas of a tree and make it look nice you will need a climber. Make sure you are present to explain how you want your trees trimmed. At a 1000$ it could go up from there, climbers are not cheap and usually takes more time. They strap a chain saw to their belt and a shit load of rope and secure the outside limb(s) (100 to 200 pounds easily ), cut it so it swings just where they want it to go. It's an art within it's self, really amazing to watch a good climber. 1000$ is not bad for some light and quick triming if that's what you are after. Just giving you a heads up.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Thanks for the input all. I'm still looking for a second estimate - does anyone have recommendations for a company they have experience with on the Front Range? The company that bid the job is Davey Tree out of Broomfield - any comments on them or recommendations?

Thanks again,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018   #5

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Affordable Tree Services in Lafayette, used them last year, good result.

303-679-4888
Old 01-04-2018   #6

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Davey Tree

My Aunt Mary used Davey Tree service for years before she passed away a few months ago. They did very nice work on her pine trees from topping, stabilized her shallow rooted pine trees from blowing down, trimming the bottom limbs so you can walk under the pine trees, feeding her trees, reshaping them and cleaning under them. It would not hurt to get several estimates when you are talking around a thousand dollars, that's some serious coin and you will want to get the best service and advice for that price.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #7

plainfield, New Jersey
First I am in Jersey, and EVERYTHING costs more, but, I am in the same boat with a bunch of river birch that are too close and too big. Right now, I have an estimate in hand for 1500 for pruning 7 trees (thinning) and taking down one small ash that is TIGHT to a garage. The way my lot is they have to climb almost all of the trees
1K sounds really reasonable, almost on the cheap side for my parts.
The big thing that I have found is that Tree guys like "a full days work", so that they can bring all of the trucks and gear and work it the whole day instead of a 1/2 day, take down and reset at a new location.
I try to do most of my own stuff, but if I cannot reach it from the ground (I have a 21 foot pole saw, so I can get up to 27 feet up) I call folks.
For pruning, a silky sukoi, (hand saw) and silky hayuchi (4 section pole saw) are darn fast.
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #8

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1976
Don with Arbor Tech has treated us right, got his name from the neighbours who use him too. Trimed both our house and my father in law's,
Don cell 720-737-9728
Office 303-279-9337
DEA4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018   #9

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If they have a bucket truck etc... I'm sure they are insured. I am a arborist in the central Rockies, and that price seems very reasonable to me, however it is hard to gauge without seeing the trees. Whichever the price, consider it a very worthy expense, that could save you mucho dinero and/or headache (no pun intended) in the future. PM me and I could help you source a trusted outfit if you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018   #10

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
....or learn to do it yourself. Tons of good YouTube tutorials on the subject. (Wink wink)

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote